Linguaholic

How important is correct grammar to you?

Medza

I'm seeing a lot of different reactions here. But for me, it is important in a way that it should be understandable. Not really to embarrass people if they don't know much about it.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, if you have wrong grammar, it's a big turn-off. I believe that grammar is important because it affects our communication with others. Just a simple mistake can lead to misunderstandings and misinterpretations. So yeah, correct grammar is really important.

For me, if you have wrong grammar, it's a big turn-off. I believe that grammar is important because it affects our communication with others. Just a simple mistake can lead to misunderstandings and misinterpretations. So yeah, correct grammar is really important.

I don't see it that way really, as long as someone can express themselves, there's no problem is the grammar is not correct. Some people didn't have luck to receive education and we can't see them as inferior because of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking as a professional writer, well, I would say proper grammar is quite important. However, when I am speaking I am a bit more relaxed because no one I know actually talks in proper grammatical sentences.

I'm not sure it's as important when actually speaking, unless you move in circles that require proper grammatical speech, such as politics. I do believe it's very important when it comes to writing though. Makes it so much easier to properly convey an idea or intent when one uses proper grammar and spelling when writing.

I think that grammar is extremely important as well! They are just as important as communication skills, but in a sense, they are one in the same! Without proper grammar, nearly no one will be able to understand what you're trying to say. I can say this from experience, as well, because for a while I though grammar wasn't as important as well. In my Spanish 2 class, I got a bit lazy and didn't pay too much attention to grammar. In turn, I knew many phrases. In consequence of this, though, people could rarely understand what I was saying, nor did I know how to form my sentence structures correctly! Think of grammar as the medium, without it, words are almost useless!

I think that grammar is extremely important as well! They are just as important as communication skills, but in a sense, they are one in the same! Without proper grammar, nearly no one will be able to understand what you're trying to say. I can say this from experience, as well, because for a while I though grammar wasn't as important as well. In my Spanish 2 class, I got a bit lazy and didn't pay too much attention to grammar. In turn, I knew many phrases. In consequence of this, though, people could rarely understand what I was saying, nor did I know how to form my sentence structures correctly! Think of grammar as the medium, without it, words are almost useless!

Yep. Without at least a decent grasp of any language, and it's structure, you may as well be grunting and pointing to try and convey what you are wanting to get across to someone else.  :laugh:

Grammar is an integral and foundational part in learning a language. For me, you can not completely command a language without mastering the grammatical rules that organize it. Otherwise, you will always be a "language tourist". People will understand that you are speaking or writing a language that is not your own when you make glaring grammatical errors but only up to a certain point. Beyond that, it is expected that you should be able to carry conversations in a decent and grammatically correct manner.

As most people have said, incorrect grammar is a complete turn off. As soon as you see something with incorrect grammar, it sticks into the back of your head and just makes you think, "seriously?". Grammar makes everything sound coherent and makes it clear to the listener than you obviously do know the language.

As most people have said, incorrect grammar is a complete turn off. As soon as you see something with incorrect grammar, it sticks into the back of your head and just makes you think, "seriously?". Grammar makes everything sound coherent and makes it clear to the listener than you obviously do know the language.

Exactly. I have a pretty good vocabulary, but I don't often get to use it while speaking. I often have to 'dumb things down' a bit. The part of the world in which I live people don't tend to read much, or at all, and grammar skills tend to be pretty poor.  It's predominately Nascar and wrestling redneck types and plenty of hardcore religious types who often have the view that "...too much book lernin' and it git's you away from gawd..." mentality.  The sort whose spoken grammar goes something like, "yew ain't gonna git none of my beer you sumabitch!"  (Writing hillbilly grammar and accent isn't easy!  :laugh:)

The importance of the need for grammar perfection when learning a foreign language largely depends on the urgency and available time needed to master or adapt a new language. If I were given only a few days or weeks to learn a language due to an upcoming trip, I will not have to force myself to master its syntax or achieve an impeccable level of speaking and writing. I will just have to learn the basic conversational skills needed.

When the learning is required for academic purposes, of course, I will have to aim for the highest level of grammar skill that I can learn. Formal training is in order.