Linguaholic

How important is correct grammar to you?

Medza

Correct grammar is important if I am writing something out. Otherwise, I do not know many people who use 'proper grammar' in all forms of verbal speech. I think languages should be taught the same way that native languages are. You learn a few words as a time and begin to associate them together. Then, with time, you can understand the connotations better. That would be when grammar should start being taught. You have a good base at that point.

Although I am extremely concerned with grammar in my native tongue, I think there may be something to learning as much as you can and becoming comfortable in the studied language and then work on "proper" grammar.  I am not sure if it is that controversial in that most learning builds on other learning and some peoples minds work that way.  Sort of level by level.

I do care about grammar, but I'm not super nitpicky about it. As long as I can understand what the other person is trying to say, then I'm okay with them using slightly improper grammar. Sure, it's great to have perfect grammar, but I know not everyone can do it and to me, that's okay.

I guess it depends on who I am talking to as well my knowledge on it. I mean, I myself am correcting my grammar because I know how it should be written or spoken. I would be bothered by the wrong ones if I know the correct ones. And for me, grammatically correct statements are like music to the ear. When you read a well written stories or article, if you know that the sentences are constructed like how you know it should be or how you’ll understand it best, for you it would be fun and easy to read. Academically, we should apply what we were taught by our language teachers because that’s our passes to a greater knowledge and achievement. However, I don’t think it would be a bother if I wrote or spoke with incorrect or faulty grammar (known to our country as barok or carabao English) if I’m talking or writing to a person who would understand the language best if I talk the same way he does. But generally, for me, how we write or spoke reflects our respect for learning and high education.

Starting with a new language, it's not too important for me unless I am in school. Learning from home is another story for me. With my own language being English, grammar is very important for me. Drives me crazy when I see people typing with all caps or horrible grammar in general.

Grammar for me makes a language a joy to learn. The reason for this is because grammar allow you to pass a message as well as communicate really  effectively. Therefore, i will even catch myself when i talk in bad grammar. I guess it goes to show that I am a language fanatic.

Grammar is very important. It shows respect for the language you are learning. Grammar is as important as vocabulary. However, when you are first getting started I think people appreciate that you are trying to speak their language, even if there are lots of mistakes.

Correct grammar is essential when learning a new language.  I am an English teacher and constantly explain to my students that you have to learn to do it right before you can use it creatively.  Cormac McCarthy can be stylistic with his punctuation choices, for example, but I feel he is allowed that leeway because he has mastered the language.

I'm one of those if you heard about the term "grammar nazi" on the internet. I can't stand bad grammar, I'm trying to work on my grammar as much as I can even though I'm having some troubles with ponctuation because I didn't learn English at school. For me, grammar is very important.

I have a difficult time controlling my surprise when a prominent media figure makes a grammatical error. They're in such an influential role that one would think the grammar would be impeccable. In any other casual situation, I have no issue with anyone who makes the errors while carrying on a conversation. People do become nervous from time to time. It's to be expected on a personal level.

I have never really been too bothered about how correct my grammar is and this may well show in some of my forum posts. However, more recently I am starting to pick up on it a lot more because I am working with a lot of 'well-spoken' people.

This may sound silly (or not), but I don't want them to generate a lesser opinion of me just because of the way I speak.

Living in Japan, dating an Italian man and my mother is Filipino, I don't particularly care so much about 100% correct grammar since it's more important to be able to communicate. I use the best grammar to my Australian knowledge but sometimes I have to make it extremely simple to explain my point to my family in the Phillippines or to Japanese people that want to practice their (broken) English with me.

On the other hand, it's disappointing to find grammar mistakes talking to native speakers of English.

When you are that sensitive about grammar, you can't help but notice the incorrect once it is committed by someone. You have the urge to point it  out to them but some people might think its impolite. Correct grammar is really important for you to clearly state what you really mean through words.

It's so important to me that I corrected my lawyer on a legal document today. She left out the verb "the".

"The" isn't a verb, it's a definite article, but leaving it out of a phrase is still a big deal so I totally understand correcting it :D

In general, I don't enjoy bad grammar. It just annoys me. But I will say this, I firmly believe that language is situational. Thus, I find myself being looser with grammar when I am around people with poor grammar.

For example, I am not going to be a grammar nazi when I am around a foreign speaker or someone less educated. It is foolish to make a conversation difficult or awkward because you are choosing to use perfect grammar with someone who doesn't speak like that.

When I first started learning a foreign language at school , there was a lot of emphasis put on getting the right grammar, and it would take up so long that after a couple of lessons you could say one sentence, and you could say it properly in all tenses and so on, but at the end of the day you only knew one sentence. I think that conversational skills are much more important than getting the grammar right the first time. I think that you should learn to talk the language , and then all the pieces will fall in place. I think that this is something of a controversial opinion so I was wondering, what do you guys think about this?

I don't see the grammar as being so important, needed granted, but would not having the correct grammar slow you down or stop you learning/communicating? no. The way language is spoken and indeed written by nationals often exists outside of the way things should be.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't say it's very important to me, but I do prefer reading and hearing correct grammar from everyone. The internet has made me a lot more tolerant of misuse, though, since it's made me realize that it's just not possible for all people on Earth to know English that well.

I like to use correct grammar as it seems you should get into good habits. Also I enjoy reading a piece of work when it is grammatically correct.

I agree.  Getting into the habit of using correct grammar is essential.  It's just like physical exercise; use it or lose it.  It's much too easy to get lax these days because the standards of proper grammar and usage have really dropped noticeably.  I think that using correct grammar continuously regardless of circumstances helps to reinforce the habit.  It has helped me over the years.

When I was growing up, myy parents simply didn't allow incorrect grammar in the house!  So I had to learn it, and I'm very glad that I did, as it has become automatic, and I enjoy continually improving my skills. 

I think you must master grammar before you can go effectively go off on sparkling riffs that are not limited by the rules of grammar. As editor of a group of newspapers, I once had a reporter working for me who was a marvelous technician. Her prose was without flaw - but it never sparkled, either. When she looked at something that was written in a striking way for effect, all she could see was that it was not grammatically correct. On the other hand, those who never bother to master grammar think they wrote more freely and spontaneously. The truth is they are usually just bad writers unwilling to first master the discipline that could later allow them to soar with control.

I think grammar is important, because it can make learning the language easier in the long run. At least for me, I've always found it much easier to have the structure, the bones, of a language down and then add vocabulary on top of it. For me, everything just fits better.

It is only important to me if I am dating that person. It really doesn't matter if a co-worker or my family does not use correct grammar, but it bugs me if I am dating someone who doesn't know correct grammar. I have no idea why I have lower standards for everyone else. Does that make me a selective grammar nazi?

I'm a writing fanatic, so the grammar is VERY important to me. However, surviving in another country relies entirely upon being understood conversationally, so my French lessons in France have been tailored to that need first. We have been adding grammar slowly, but surely, and as much as I appreciate it, it also frustrates me that I am learning I have said certain phrases incorrectly for two years now! I wish I could have had more grammar at the beginning mixed in with the necessary phrases, then I would feel like my language would have advanced at a more normal rate.