Linguaholic

Sengoidelc and Gaelic

Elly

I've read that Sengoidelc is a good supplement to understanding the etymology of some vocabulary words. Does a parallel study in Sengoidelc help in any other way? Or has the grammar and syntax changed enough that, to ever actually be able to hold a conversation, better stick to modern Gaelic?

• 1 month later...

I've read that Sengoidelc is a good supplement to understanding the etymology of some vocabulary words. Does a parallel study in Sengoidelc help in any other way? Or has the grammar and syntax changed enough that, to ever actually be able to hold a conversation, better stick to modern Gaelic?

What is Sengoidelc? I've not heard of this particular language. How does it relate to modern Gaelic? Is it similar to Manx? I was given to understand that both Scotch and Irish Gaelic came from Manx? Is my information in regards to the Manx wrong? 

So glad this subforum is here!  :grin:

What is Sengoidelc? I've not heard of this particular language. How does it relate to modern Gaelic?

To my understanding, Sengoidelc is like... ancient Irish Gaelic, basically? Although, I consider myself somewhat of an etymology/philology fan, because networking the word origins rather than make it more to memorize actually help to memorize and recognize new words with possibly similar origins as other words because a mental network is catchy...but I haven't come across a dictionary that said so-and-so Irish Gaelic word originated in the Sengoidelc for... so, I might be wrong. Or using the wrong dictionary.

To my understanding, Sengoidelc is like... ancient Irish Gaelic, basically? Although, I consider myself somewhat of an etymology/philology fan, because networking the word origins rather than make it more to memorize actually help to memorize and recognize new words with possibly similar origins as other words because a mental network is catchy...but I haven't come across a dictionary that said so-and-so Irish Gaelic word originated in the Sengoidelc for... so, I might be wrong. Or using the wrong dictionary.

You mean like Manx? I am not sure how the word, Sengoidelc, is pronounced...but I do like the way it looks. Looks like the name of an Elven language...rather pretty looking word.

I am going to have to do some more research into it...I haven't found a lot, at least, not that I can understand anyway. LOL  I am wondering if the this David Stifters book would be a good buy? http://www.amazon.com/Sengoidelc-Old-Irish-Beginners-Studies/dp/0815630727