Linguaholic

Everytime or Every Time?

Baburra

My memory of it is already a bit hazy, but I recall being taught in elementary that "everytime" was correct and from what I remember, it was even favored. However, I always get spellchecked when I write it on text boxes on sites such as this one. I'm wondering if I was taught the wrong thing or if I just imagined that lesson, but I could swear that I've been writing "everytime" my whole life without ever getting corrected by anyone.

Anyone have any ideas about this?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Everytime or Every Time

If I recall correctly, the required frequency to coin a new word is 5 instances in 5 separate sources within 3 months of each other.

So, if you really want to make "everytime" happen, then just keep using it until it catches on. This isn't a dead language, so nothing's set in stone.

Personally, though, I don't ever remember reading "everytime" as one word; it was always "every time".

I had read somewhere that "almighty" is all right but "alright" is not all right. Still, my spellchecker right now deems alright all right.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also having a problem when deciding whether to write "everytime" as "every time" or "everytime" whenever I'm writing, I tend to just write "everytime" but then I'll get a spell check telling me it was wrong. So I'm trying to keep writing this word as "every time" because I hate to see the red line showing up every time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Oh I always thought everytime was correct too! And as I'm typing this, I can see the red squiggly line telling me it isn't! How strange. I guess I'll have to get used to using every time from now on.

I'm also confused regarding the correct spelling of the word, but I guess "every time" is the correct word, but I see most songs use the word "everytime", so I initially thought that it was the right one, although like what the other members have said, the spell checker says otherwise.

I use 'everytime' instead of 'every time' when I type or write. 'Everytime' feels more natural to me, so I'm always a bit annoyed when spellchecker correct it  :bored:

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for posting this question. I have been asking myself for a long time which way is the correct way. Most of the information that I have found on the internet left me a little confused. I am still not quite sure, I guess both ways are acceptable, and it's only a minor issue.

Everytime or every time

As an English teacher, I would say (fairly certainly) that "everytime" is incorrect. It's not a word, and not an acceptable variation of "every time." Best to use "every time."

• 2 years later...
On 28.7.2014 at 11:43 PM, PashaR said:

As an English teacher, I would say (fairly certainly) that "everytime" is incorrect. It's not a word, and not an acceptable variation of "every time." Best to use "every time."

I guess that is true. However, as my native language is German, I tend to put nouns together as we always do that in German :=) ---->lots of noun compounds in German :=)

everytime or every time.jpg