Linguaholic

TV Related Idioms

Baburra

The only TV related idiom I'm aware of is "jumping the shark" which is said when pertaining to a situation wherein the people overboard have clearly crossed the line and are way past the peak of their relevance or popularity.

To the best of my knowledge, this term was popularized because of the show Happy Days wherein towards the end of the series, writers were running low on ideas and had a prominent character jump a shark via skiing on water, which of course, was seen by the audience as way too absurd and was taken as a clear indication that the show has outlived its welcome.

Do you guys know of any more TV related idioms?

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I can't contribute anything to this topic until I came across this idiom a while ago:

Elvis has left the building - When the show has come to an end.

This counts right?  :smile:

• 4 months later...

Someone could be considered as being 'glued to the TV'.

Meaning they are so drawn into, and completely focused on, whatever they might be watching that nothing else matters.

I used to tease my mom with this one all the time when she was watching her soap operas.

I used to sneak up on her and shout "Crazy Glue!" at the top of my lungs. She hated that.

Now that I mention that, I recall that the TV is often referred to as the 'idiot box', because of all the stupid things that pass for entertainment on the one hand, as well as the issue of potentially lowering one's own intelligence by being 'glued to the TV' too often.

Hah, it's kinda nice how I tied that together quite neatly, eh?

"I used to tease my mom with this one all the time when she was watching her soap operas.

I used to sneak up on her and shout "Crazy Glue!" at the top of my lungs. She hated that."

That's pretty funny Hemikune :=)

• 1 month later...

There are many related TV idioms, usually stay around while the TV show is present, and then slowly fade out when the TV show is cancelled. Lately, terms like "Bazinga!" or "Winter is coming" are commonly used on forums. But sometimes you can also find people saying "I pity the fool..." or "Holy ..., Batman!"

When Friends was at its peak, you would find people saying "Unagi" or "How you doin'?" a lot. It drove me crazy. I never liked the show Friends that much.