Linguaholic

Do you get annoyed when people email/message you with their words in shortcut?

jiiensamxx

I never do it as much as possible, so I kind of get a bit annoyed. At times, there are words I misunderstand so I have to get back to them about it that only lengthens the time before the original message get answered. Plus, I feel a bit unimportant whenever people do.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Text messages over the phone? I'd actually give it a pass. Maybe, too, if I had reason to suspect that they'd sent an e-mail over a phone.

Over anything that could actually be typed, though...I'm just flabbergasted, because I think it's more difficult to type in "chatspeak".

I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but there's always a small and very strong part of me that is judging very harshly  :bored: "You think that's cute, huh? Well, I don't go for cute. Only lower life forms use shortcuts."

We are all busy people so if my friends use shortcut at times then that's fine with me. However, if they make it a habit, I get annoyed although I don't really let them know how I feel. I'll just assume that they were in a haste but I don't respond in shortcut so that should have sent them a message.

Yes! I don't take shortcuts when I email or text message and it annoys me when others write to me like that. I want to read an email, not have to decipher text speak. It also annoys me when people don't use, at least, basic grammar in their emails. My mother can't write in paragraphs or use proper capitalization to save her life. It gives me a headache trying to read her emails.

It does sort of annoy me. A couple of shorthand abbreviations here and there isn't really a big deal, of course. But I know people who use nothing but shorthand. It drives me up the wall.

Yes, I do get annoyed when some people email or message me using too short sms, those which you cannot really understand because they are too short to be shortened. :wink: I don't use short cuts when chatting or when sending sms so I guess it's annoying to read them in my emails or messages.

If it is something that someone is doing in a traditional letter or in an email it really drives me crazy. However, when someone is using shortened words for a text message or twitter message I understand it because you are trying to convey a message in as few characters as possible.

I don't get annoyed; I simply view them as less intelligent.

With instant messaging, shortened words are more acceptable, but if it's in an email I will usually expect proper grammar and spelling. Even text messages are a little iffy, in my opinion, but it's expected there so I don't get too irritated about that.

I am a little bit if it's a professional email. But if it's just on text messages, I really don't mind. It's just absurd to receive a professional email all in shortcut forms.

I do not get annoyed when my friends text me with shortened versions of words, as I feel a text is a quick way to contact each other,  however if I receive a letter or email which has abbreviated words within them, I do find that I get annoyed. as I b.elieve these are more formal means of communication.

Yeah, I think it's kinda rude they are trying to ''save'' time this way by just using some shortcut words, as if that made so much sense. Plus you can't really think that person has such a great grammar and orthography after seeing that, actually seeing that makes me think they failed many of their English tests back when they were going to the school.

I honestly don't mind and am even guilty of doing it myself. I don't do it in formal situations though. Like if I'm e-mailing a work related thing. But if it's between friends and family I pretty much use shortcuts whenever I can.

If it's done through text then not really, but if it's done through email, then I would be puzzled as to why they type in text speak, but I won't really get annoyed by it. I don't get annoyed that easily.

i very rarely use text speak when texting someone and when i use it, i do it sparingly.

i get annoyed at people who use it to the extent that you have to text them back asking what they meant in the previous text. some of it doesn't even reduce the number of words you will write yet people use it for the hell of it. very annoying.

I don't mind it as long as it's not too much. Specially over the phone, it's understandable since typing can be a bit tiring. Just the ocasional chatspeak, if it's something most people would know or reconize instantly, I don't really mind. If I have to think too much over it, it does annoy me a little.

In e-mails, it annoys me because people should take their time at least a little bit when writing e-mails. It is not like chat where you just send messages quickly and without too much thought on spelling and grammar, so e-mails should be decently written.

In messaging and chat it doesn't annoy me as long as I can decipher the message without looking up what the shortcuts mean.