Linguaholic

Imagination

Am I the only one who imagine everything that I read on the books, essays, etc, or everything that somebody else says to me? If this is a talent, then I would say that I'm so talented in terms of imagination.

For that matter, I think I'm also talented. I picture everything I read and imagine if it's all for real. Because of this, I have problem reading horror or thrillers. I don't read such stuff because my imagination keeps me up at night.

This is true for me as well, and I am guessing it's the magic that keeps books relevant until this day even with all of the other more accessible distractions being available. I imagine it's also one of the reasons why many people say they prefer the book version when it comes to movie adaptations, because rarely does another person's visual portrayal compare or accurately depict what you are able to construct in your mind with just the use of an author's words.

I think this is quite common among avid readers  :wink:

Which is why when reading a novel or story, if there's illustrations available for the characters and settings, you will have an easier time forming the images in your head as you go through the stories.

On the other hand, CYOA (Choose Your Own Adventure) stories are great in this aspect too. Even better if it's a self-insert story which you can imagine yourself doing all the adventures in the story!

I do the same thing when I read books.  The whole story plays out like a theatrical performance in my mind.  This is why I hate watching a movie based on a book after reading the book.  I find that the movie often leaves out some really good parts, and it is nothing like the story that played out in my head.

I think that happens to me too. Just recently I was reading Andre Agassi auto-biography and I could imagine everything he wrote there, I case that's the art of a good writer.  :wink:

I'm very imaginative as well. I even seem to be tuning out while people are talking, but when I associate what they're saying with an image then what they say becomes much easier to comprehend and remember.

Imagination is one of the best and probably most common ways to consolidate meaning to text.

I'm sure that pure abstract thought, comprehension, and memory is a talent too... just not mine. If I'm not being imaginative, it's usually because my brain isn't functioning properly that day.

I am quite guilty of imagining. Even in the middle of what I am reading, I'll stop to imagine. I sometimes turn the whole story around and invite others to listen to the flip-side. This definitely something common among readers but a lot of us don't really talk about it afterwards.

Opps! I'm not alone :D

I don't just imagine what I'm reading but I often find myself to be the main character (in my imagination) on every songs I listen to.

It makes the reading and listening more interesting and understandable when we are able to put ourselves as the character of the stories (well in our imagination).

True for me as well, but it seems this is rather common for most people.  I tend to imagine everything I'm told, I often daydream as well, so this isn't uncommon for me at all!  I can imagine whole stories or recreate memories from the past fairly easy.  Sometimes when someone tells me a joke I only laugh because of how the joke is instantaneously pictured in my head.

I've always heard that imagination is seeing, so great that we can imagine what we read, it just means we are enjoying it and we are fully seeing it. If we are not having such joy, maybe we should just switch book?

Everyone has an imagination. Well, almost everyone...

As far as books vs movies goes, I do think there are other reasons than just imagination that makes a book more enjoyable for most. One reason being that the book often offers more information, and so on.

I really don't know how to answer this question other than... Of course I have an imagination. I don't see the point in imagining essays though.

I do these things all the time, especially when it comes to amazingly descriptive scenes and provocative dialogue. This is why I'm often disappointed when my "imaginary depiction" of a place or a person couldn't be completed because a certain paragraph wouldn't give enough descriptions.

I love doing these things when it comes to dialogue - especially in confrontational scenes where the writing is just as exciting as imagining what's happening.

I especially loved these encounters while reading Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens, haha.

I also tend to imagine what I read, only if what I'm reading is descriptive or it narrates a scenario. But not all the time though, only if it's engrossing enough for my taste. As for what someone else says, then it's a 100% yes. I always tend to imagine what was being narrated to me.

I tend to imagine what I read as well as what I hear. For example, without watching the television and if I hear say, an angry sumo wrestler I usually just imagine that haha. I love reading books because our imagination can take us on so many journeys and you never know where you can end up. :)

I think you'll find avid readers of books have a wild imagination. That's what makes reading so enjoyable! For me, without an imagination, reading fiction or novels would be a big waste of time or just something you do to process information. The reason I enjoy reading so much is it takes me out of reality and into any world I want to go in.

It' so good to read that I am not the only one! I do that very often when reading books and seeing movies. I just cannot help it. I personally believe it is very good to be creative and imaginative, as this helps you a lot in life, in general.

That is so true Ana Moise, when I am reading a book it's like I enter a different world, I can imagine everything that is happening and apart from being culturally enriching it's also an escape from our day-to-day worries.

I think I have always had a vivid imagination, as far back as I can remember.  In other words, way before I knew the meaning of the word "imagination." :)

I greatly enjoy becoming immersed in a great novel or story that uses language that is rich and vivid in imagery.  That can be just the springboard for envisioning what I am reading.  It's escapism in the best sense because it can be intellectually and emotionally enriching. 

I do that too! Not for essays though... just for books and readings I'm interested in, lol.

Me too but only for certain books.  I think the author/writer is the one who really deserves the credit for helping us develop a powerful, creative and even wild imaginations.  :smile:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Definitely not! I do this all the time, too. This is one of the reasons why I love reading books especially fiction. It's because I exercise my imagination a lot therefore making me a better writer and storyteller. Reading also serves as an escape for me from all the stresses of my daily life.  :grin: