Linguaholic

Imagination

I don't really do this...although sometimes a book will really seem to jump out at me, as if it is a personal message. Always great when that happens...

I do have a problem imagining while reading, though. I love to read, but sometimes, if I have something on my mind, my mind will wander and I can be on the same page for minutes...

Well, I do imagine a about what I read and about what people tell me. Especially when we read a book, we imagine the people, their faces, the places and even add music to it in our heads. Even when someone explains something that just happened in the real world, we reconstruct the situation with our imagination. We can imagine even a storm in our head, that we just read in the newspaper. Because our mind is our own television. But it all depends o how interested in we are in it, or we could sit through it, without imagining a thing, and only pronouncing the words.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's normal for a person to imagine things that he's reading.  Because when a person reads, the words register as images in our brain and that helps us to understand the context.  Regarding what you said, if this is a talent, then we're all talented people! Cheers!  :party:  :wink:

I think you'll find avid readers of books have a wild imagination. That's what makes reading so enjoyable! For me, without an imagination, reading fiction or novels would be a big waste of time or just something you do to process information. The reason I enjoy reading so much is it takes me out of reality and into any world I want to go in.

You are right!  I think there is nothing more enjoyable that creating your own visual version of the things you are reading on the book in your own head.  I don't think anything can beat that :)  I personally love doing that, specially when I'm reading some really interesting and complex books, like for example Michael Ende's works.  I love them!

• 4 weeks later...

I guess that is what we refer to as healthy imagination. I am also very good at imagining things. Every time I take the public bus, I imagine what it would be like to work in a certain job or be the wealthiest person in the land. A story takes shape in my mind until I get to my destination where I can then be me. A great imagination is good because it is almost impossible to get bored. Enjoy this gift you have been given.

• 2 months later...

I must admit that I have discovered that I have a very imaginative mind. If I apply for a job I see myself already in that office.  If I meet someone that I like, I imagine what it would be like to see them every day. I cannot control my imagination as much as I like to. It leads to building of castles.

As for me, I never really had that much of a problem imagining the setting or characters in the story, maybe because I'm naturally imaginative to begin with. So as long as they write it descriptively enough, then for sure my imagination can follow suit.

I've always used my imagination when I read. Thus, I get so scared when I read horror or suspense thriller books. Yup, until now that I am older! I wasn't able to sleep well when I read the book Dracula. I just was able to get over it sooner than after I read Pet Sematary because I was younger then so my imagination was so vivid and wilder. Lol!

Sometimes when I like the scene too much, I repeatedly read the page and go back to it several times after I'm finished reading the whole book. :-) Nothing for me can beat the first marriage proposal of Mr Darcy to Elizabeth in Pride and Prejudice. Lol!

• 2 weeks later...

Imagination goes with the territory. When you're reading, all you have is the written word. The only way the written word becomes real is when you put all those words together and picture them in your mind. I doubt if absent imagination, stories will be engrossing. Stories will remain flat if all you do is just read the words one after another.

• 7 months later...

I must admit that I have discovered that I have a very imaginative mind. If I apply for a job I see myself already in that office.  If I meet someone that I like, I imagine what it would be like to see them every day. I cannot control my imagination as much as I like to. It leads to building of castles.

I'm like that as well, over the years I've learnt it can't be helped ;)  I think being like that is great, because it gives you something to look forward to, but be careful with the expectations you might create in your head!  If they are too high you could end up feeling very disappointed.

• 4 weeks later...

I also imagine whenever I read novels. I think it's the best part of reading. It gives readers the freedom to imagine what they are reading. This is also why some get disappointed when they watch the movie adaptation of the book they have read. The scenes are far from what they have imagined while reading the book. It's fun to imagine! :wink:

Me. It's actually one of the main reasons I enjoy reading books. It just.. takes you to different places, and it's simply the kind of experience that I really enjoy. I love imagination. It's especially great because for me, it's not only limited to reading. Whenever I write stories, my mind just goes crazy. It's the reason why I find writing really easy. For me, stopping is much harder than continuing the story. Of course there's a certain point on the story where it's just impossible to continue, but other than that I really just write as much as I can.

Our brains were created with many faculties but I believe the imaginative aspect of the brain is what really will bring us into favor with people in life. Movies, cartoons, technological innovations and  so forth, all are induced as a result of our imaginative ability. I do have an imaginative mind but I find that I still have to stir it up, in a sense. I have to create a situation where I am reading a novel each day and it really helps me in school to be much more alert and imaginative.