Linguaholic

Is there a lot of media in your target languages that interests you?

kate23

By media I mean literature, music, movies, tv shows etc etc.

There's a lot of French media that interests me, although I can't use a lot of it yet since I'm only a beginner. I do listen to music, audio books and podcasts though to help me learn.

With Hawaiian, the other language that I'm currently seriously studying, there's very little media available. However, I love the language and culture so much that I don't mind that it won't be particularly useful for me.

There's many other languages I'd like to learn but I worry that because I'm quite picky about what media I'll read/watch/listen to that I won't find some of them very useful. I'm really interested in Greek (modern) for instance but I'm not sure if there's much media available and what is available if it'll even interest me.

Cool question, the next language I zoned in on is Russian. I haven't been able to find many tv shows, but do have some music that my grandparents gave me. The other thing that interests me about Russian media are the newspapers. There are quite a few of them and they look very interesting. I am looking forward to reading them.

Presently, foreign languages are mainly practiced in the tourist industry so there isn't a lot of media locally. However, if I need to listen to music or watch TV in the language that I am learning, I would be able to easily locate something. This actually happens to be something that interests me and I do it all the time.

That's a very interesting question... I had to take a minute to think. :D

There's a lot media available in all the languages I like, but there's not a lot media that I am really interested in. That's what makes this question interesting.

For example, for Spanish, I like watching telenovelas and listening to Latin music. But that's it. In French, I only like a few musicians. Unfortunately, I'm not pulled to their style of cinematography. I don't study Hindi now, but if one day I decide to study it again, I love Hindi / Bollywood movies and Indian music. And for Greek, I only like some Greek music and that's it.

Yes!  Plenty of web sites in Dutch out there.  I specially like to read news sites in Dutch, I like this one a lot: http://www.telegraaf.nl/  Media is such a great way to learn and practice the language of your interest!  I have actually learnt quite a few words thanks to that web site :)  The pronunciation is a totally different thing tho.

I feel those learning English have it quite easy tho, because you can't never compare the wide range of free media for English speakers available online!  Even on TV!  In my country there are many channels that are in English, some of them don't even have subtitles!  So, students learning English have a clear advantage!  I'm still happy there is plenty of dutch material to work with online :)

Yes.

Thankfully, the languages that I'm interested in - French and Chinese - are both very widely used, and thus have a lot of material that I can learn from.

Well, it's a little harder for me to find French media that I'm interested in than Chinese media, but it's not impossible.

Actually yes, everything around me seems to be in English so I really can't complain, I have a lot of working materials and I am constantly practicing, I just have to listen to the radio or watch TV.  :wink: