Linguaholic

Do you love writing in the language that you are learning?

Personally, I find writing to be really hard. Nevertheless, I really enjoy doing it in the language I am learning. I love it. My foreign language teacher actually praised me for the journal that she asked us to write in an entry daily, despite me having poor performance on her exams and quizzes.

I would love to write in the language that I am learning but I really don't have reason to. I learn the language but since it's just a hobby I don't have any reason to write to anyone.I do communicate with my daughter and friends in short phrases but that's about it.

As the language I'm learning is Japanese, it is very fun to write in.  However, it can be very difficult for someone who only knows English.  Memorizing hiragana and katakana is easy enough, but learning the stroke order and meanings of a large amount of Kanji can be overwhelming.  Overcoming that challenge is definitely rewarding, and writing in Japanese sometimes feels like creating art.

English is not my first language but I write my blog in English and I really enjoy it. My husband will usually edit my post before I publish it and it is such an amazing feeling when he has so less to edit, add, and change.

I believe I have so much more to learn and need plenty of practices because I really love writing. It used to be just a hobby but now I'm getting more serious and dedicated to it.

"Love" is a powerful word, but I do enjoy writing in Japanese for sure. Can't say that I love it though.

Truth be told, I am very bad at writing it, and I don't know how to write very much at all. My studies are focused entirely on passively understanding japanese (listening/reading) and not at all on writing/speaking. I do however know how to write a few hiragana and katakana, and I can write a few simple words with the limited amount of kana that I know how to write... And it's definately fun, but it's not fun enough for me to learn how to write all of the characters. It would simply take a lot more time to learn how to speak and write it aswell. Not just having to learn all the characters, but I would also have to focus entirely different when it comes to learning grammar aswell.

It would not be enough to just recognize particles and grammatical structures, I would also have to remember them good enough to use them myself. And there is actually a very huge differance between those two. So considering everything, it would take way too much time to learn how to speak and write, and I would prefer to spend that time on improving my passive abilities instead. After all, the usage I will have for the language, when I know "enough", will be entirely passive. I will "never"/barely have any use for being able to write and speak it, other than a few visits to Japan in the future. And for that, I have heard that most japanese natives speak english very well. Besides, I will most likely be able to speak atleast a bit even when I'm only focusing on passive knowledge.

And, uhm. FYI: I do know how to pronounce japanese words myself, maybe not perfectly, but good enough if you ask me. Knowing how to pronounce all the kana is crucial even if your goal is 100% passive knowledge.

I'd love to start writing dutch, specially when chatting with my boyfriend's family and him.  I think that would help me a lot!  After all writing was the most important step when I was just learning English.  That's how everything started: I saw what people on Yahoo chat wrote and then I started to use what I learnt by writing it.  It made no sense at first, but after a while it did.  I could communicate!!!!!  I made a lot mistakes at first, but those mistakes helped me to learn even more :)  Amazing experience.  I bet the same could happen with Dutch...

As weird and nerdy as it sounds, yes. I actually like to write a lot so maybe that's why. Whenever I learn a new language my writing skills are always stronger than my speaking skills. I'm not good enough to write properly in Japanese, but I'm working at it.

Also I'm trying to write a story in Chinese right now. It's... hard xD

Yes, I love writing in a language that I am learning, because it helps me improve my skills and develop my grammar and vocabulary level. Even though I find it quite difficult, I do this and I love it.

I'm learning French currently and I'm actually far better at writing than at speaking or reading. Writing is very fun because I write in the English language and I love to extend it to what I'm learning. I agree that it can be difficult but that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable!

Yes, I definitely enjoy writing in the language that I'm learning.  I think learning writing skills is crucial to language study as it really forces us to engage in learning the basics of grammar and building vocabulary.  It is quite different from speaking, where there's the challenge of thinking and responding quickly.

I also enjoy the challenge of translating from one language to another. And it is definitely a challenge. 

I haven't gotten to that point yet where I write the language that I'm learning in any correspondence, but for sure I will do it once I'm fluent already. As for now I'm just concentrating in learning how to speak the language fluently.