Linguaholic

Have your argument ever turned funny because of language?

I got angry at my husband the other day because he put a dirty dish into the sink without throwing the leftover into the bin first.

I was so angry that I kept on nagging him until I said one word (which I can't really remember) in a very wrong way with a different meaning. He started laughing but I kept on nagging and getting even angrier because I didn't realize my mistake :D

I had to stop and asked why he was laughing in the end because he was not listening to me at all. I thought it was very embarrassing.

Have you ever done something like this? Do you tend to say words in a wrong and funny way when you are emotional?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Yes, it has certainly quashed arguments for me. If my daughter and I have differences and we go at it in English, then she gets real mad she'll continue in Spanish. If either of us make an error that is funny the arguing usually ends because we start laughing at each other.

Hahahaha, yes, it has happened to me, but it's a rather rare occurrence :P  It has happened to me tho.  It's not so uncommon when you are with a guy who speak a totally different language from yours, so both of you have to communicate in English.  That kind of relationship is bound to have that kind of little ''misunderstandings'' ;) 

Well, more often than not speaking in a different language has caused me quite a few embarrassments!  Specially when talking to people whose mother language isn't English!  Like that one time I thought I was using a set of words t form an expression I thought it was quite acceptable, but I made a mistake with only one word!  Amazing how things can go south so fast!

Yes it has happened to me before, but rarely. I prefer to argue in my native language because it's easier. I'd rather think of good responses then think of translations. Plus, my american accent ruins most arguments. It's so strong, and people can't always understand me. My ex-es have definitely laughed at me when I try cursing in their language.

As for me, I tend to stutter when I get mad but not always, it happens rarely. Luckily for me, something similar to your situation has not happened to me yet. But since I'm not sensitive at all, I don' think I would be embarrassed if I was arguing with someone close to me.

Oh yeah, I'm sure that this happens to all of us. The biggest problem for me I think... Is people who misinterpret things inentionally.

I didn't say a naughty word, but they intepret my words as naughty because they want to. And I have to say that, there's nothing more annoying but when you're trying to argue with someone, and they arne't taking you seriously. Even if you said a word wrong, it just makes me even angrier if someone laughs at me. I would probably start laughing myself too, but that would also make me even angrier... Because it would just be a sign that even I wasn't taking myself seriously.

Not good...  :emo:

Yes, this has happened with me and my friends many times already, but I honestly can't remember the exact circumstances anymore but I know it's due to mispronounced words because my friends are all of different nationalities and speak different languages so it's easy to mistake a few of them between us here and there.

Yes it has happened to me before, but rarely. I prefer to argue in my native language because it's easier. I'd rather think of good responses then think of translations. Plus, my american accent ruins most arguments. It's so strong, and people can't always understand me. My ex-es have definitely laughed at me when I try cursing in their language.

Cursing in my husband's language is one thing I try to avoid so much when I'm angry because I tend to say words in a very wrong way when I'm angry :D

I also speak so fast when I'm arguing that makes the talking becomes even worse.

Yeah, I had a similar experience in the past where I ended up laughing so hard because my grammar just got so bad because I was so mad at the beginning of the argument.  My words just fell apart and they did not make sense that I myself felt stupid already and ended up laughing.  After that, the argument just ended right away and we were friends again.  I think it helped to end the situation well.

This happens in my home from time to time, but it is more of a Fruedin Slip than using the wrong word because of the meaning in the language.  I think it is just a matter of living with someone for an extended period of time and getting upset with them!  Did the dish get put away?

Usually heated arguments for me turn into funny dialects when I use my native language suddenly in the midst of the quarrel. This is call for some laughs for sure.

Tamil is a language which can be used in order to diffuse the situation here, in India.

This happens in my home from time to time, but it is more of a Fruedin Slip than using the wrong word because of the meaning in the language.  I think it is just a matter of living with someone for an extended period of time and getting upset with them!  Did the dish get put away?

No haha  :wacky: instead of trying better to remember what I dislike, my husband preferred to remember the word that made him laughed. So every time I tell him again, he will tease me using the word to stop me from nagging  :wacky: