Linguaholic

Kanji damage

Czarownica

Do you know kanjidamage? It's probably my favorite kanji website. It's rather unorthodox, though. It gives some kanji parts funny names ("George Michael's mustache" being my favorite) and uses some quite nasty words sometimes, but it's also highly informative. It has a list of radicals, a list of kanji, for nearly every kanji it lists example phases/words (with an information how often they're used) and similar looking kanji.

http://kanjidamage.com/

I think I mentioned this somewhere in another topic, previously. It's rather amusing for unorthodox mnemonics. Irreverent humor and hilarity aside, it's actually very useful. If only I had a bit more spare time so I could make use of all this stuff instead of just talking about it.

Some people may laugh but I totally agree with you! Funny mnemonics are what makes it easier for us to remember complicated kanji! I think that while the methods are not orthodox, they make learning Japanese fun!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was skeptical at first until I read the replies and clicked the link myself. I was fairly surprised at how creative their "explanations" were for memorising the words. This is really helpful for people struggling to write Kanji but be wary as some are quite "radical."

• 8 months later...

I love Kanjidamage. It makes the harder to remember words much easier to remember with it's humorous way of teaching the kanji it has listed on the site to those wishing to learn it. If I remember correctly, this is how I remembered that the word for detective looked like a duck with a walking stick. I don't think that's the description they used for it though.

• 3 months later...

I'm using this right now and it's been so effective so far! The approach makes memorizing so much easier because there's some sort of "story" for every kanji revealed. I especially love the tags and side explanations regarding context, like the SARC tag because it makes a word stick even more to my memory. Oh, second day of being drunk is hangover, haha!

I've downloaded the Anki deck so I can take it everywhere with me. Coupled with "Japanese Kanji and Kana", which uses the same pattern (easy-to-write kanji first, hard-to-write kanji later) and I've memorized more kanji in a week than I have in how many weeks/months before using other methods.