Linguaholic

New Words Added to the Dictionary "Selfie," "Tweep,' "Hashtag" and More

The Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary publisher just announced they are adding 150 words to the next edition.  There are some interesting ones!

Here are just a few:

* selfie

* tweep

* hashtag

*crowdfunding

*gamification

There are lots more.  A summary is here: 

http://www.merriam-webster.com/new-words/2014-update.htm

Check it out and let us know your thoughts.  Have you been using some of these words?

... What in the world is "tweep"? I've never even heard of that one before.

The others are great words that I'm glad have been added, especially "crowdfunding" and "gamification," as they easily describe more recent trends and pushes.

I've never been a fan of slang terms being added to the dictionary, but I suppose it's inevitable.

I personally hate the fact that slang words are being put into the dictionary, simply because I find slang words to not belong there.

I think that slang words should be kept as slang, and not be put into the dictionary. By putting them into the dictionary, they are basically allowing the usage of slang terms in somewhat more formal situations. Even if the world will have an informal/slang-y reputation, it will be allowed to use it in essays/school reports/etc.

I know, they are simply putting new words into the dictionary, and they are adding words which a lot of people use. But personally I'm more for the controlled type of language where something needs to be more than just a popular word to be added to the dictionary. I suppose I am not very liberalistic when it comes to thigns such as these.

The same phenomenon happens a lot in the swedish language, and there it is even worse if you ask me. A lot of words that has been brought here by immigrants are being added into the dictionary because they are used so much by youngsters around here. We do have a pretty high amount of immigrants, and it's not surprising that such words gets popular with youngsters, but I still do not like that they are added to the official dictionary. I just don't see any point with it. To a certain extent, I would prefer the language to control us, and not the other way around. We do of course need to change things every now and then to adapt to how people talk and everything, but addings slangs feels like a step too much, but I am certain many will disagree with me on that.

I feel like I have repeated myself a dussin times now...

Truth be told, I am not really for these new words. They are more like slang to me. I know they are trying to accommodate the masses but there are some things I am just not into, and these modern words is one of them.

I don't have a problem with these words being added to the dictionary (although, what is "tweep"?). A dictionary should reflect the common words of a language, and over time reflect their change in usage. These new additions simply reflect the current trends of today's world. I'm sure 'Internet' and 'telephone' were at one point thought strange to be in a dictionary, yet they've become commonplace today. Give it a few years, and some of these new slang words will seem like nothing new.

This is such a great reminder for everyone that, that, a language is like a living being that is always evolving.  I always feel amazed when I see something like this happen!  150 new words added to that dictionary!  Just amazing how the English language is evolving, just amazing to see how the actual trends are pushing the creation of more and more new words :)

So excited to see all those words being added to the dictionary, just to make it official ;)  Because I know there are a lot people around the world already using them.  Actually my first encounter with the ''gamification'' word was last year.

To be honest, I too never liked the idea of slang words being added to dictionaries, especially that dictionary. That dictionary is like gold. Why lower its quality with slang. I cringed when I first heard they were adding "ain't". I think slang words should have their own dictionary.

As for the words listed above, i've used and heard of all of them, except for gamification. I have to go look that one up. I don't want to be too much behind times.  :wink:

Hmm, I wonder if they added twerking to the list too. Or maybe that wasn't a new word to begin with. It probably just took on a different meaning. Or maybe it was an obscure word before but was just brought to the public eye. So, thanks for that, Miley.  :bored:

The others are great words that I'm glad have been added, especially "crowdfunding" and "gamification," as they easily describe more recent trends and pushes.

I've never been a fan of slang terms being added to the dictionary, but I suppose it's inevitable.

I like those two as well, Trenchant! They do make sense and they kind of express things that might not be easily expressed with other words.

I must be really outdated because I have no idea what a "tweep" is XD

I had heard "tweep" before and I knew it had to do with Twitter.  I thought that collectively "tweeps" were the people who follow you on Twitter.  That's pretty close to what it actually means. 

According to the dictionary -- now that it's actually in the dictionary! -- the official definition for a "tweep " is someone who uses Twitter to send and receive Tweets.  :)

Ha, that's crazy! I can't believe the word selfie made it to the dictionary.

I honestly never understood the meaning of that word until early this year when most of my friends on Facebook started using the term along with their new pictures.

I don't mind with the word hashtag but I have never heard of tweep before. Does it has something to do with Twitter? :D

I think "Tweep" means a "Twitter peep" or a person who is very active on Twitter.  :grin:

As for "hashtag" - It's already existing in our dictionary so a new meaning has to be added like what happened to "mouse" and "keyboard".  :smile:

• 1 month later...

I don't have a problem with these words being added to the dictionary (although, what is "tweep"?). A dictionary should reflect the common words of a language, and over time reflect their change in usage. These new additions simply reflect the current trends of today's world. I'm sure 'Internet' and 'telephone' were at one point thought strange to be in a dictionary, yet they've become commonplace today. Give it a few years, and some of these new slang words will seem like nothing new.

Well said, I do agree with you. These words were strange sounding in the past but they widely used now-a-days. Yes, dictionaries should reflect what people say. To put something in the dictionary is to provide a word with a concrete definition, that is, to put them on the map.

Ha, that's crazy! I can't believe the word selfie made it to the dictionary.

I honestly never understood the meaning of that word until early this year when most of my friends on Facebook started using the term along with their new pictures.

I don't mind with the word hashtag but I have never heard of tweep before. Does it has something to do with Twitter? :D

Yes, "selfie" is getting to be not just a word but a huge pop cultural trend.  It's really getting a lot of attention in the media as celebrities and public figures group together and take selfies.  That famous selfie that Ellen DeGeneres and the celebrities took at the Oscars seemed to really skyrocket the trend.  But even people who are not famous it seems are getting more and more into taking selfies and posting them on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

I think it could just be the beginning with the "selfie" phenomena. 

As for "Tweep" it simply means someone who uses Twitter a lot. :)

The English language is constantly evolving, and words which we used to believe were slang have now been accepted into the mainstream.  Most of the traditional language buffs have found these terms to be slang.  To these older folks, adding them into the dictionary would diminish the dictionary's reliability as a reference material.  However, the younger generation believes that the English language must continue to evolve and accept changes, even those which the traditionalists think of as taboo.  It cannot remain static, but it has to move in a dynamic manner.

• 1 month later...

To be honest, I too never liked the idea of slang words being added to dictionaries, especially that dictionary. That dictionary is like gold. Why lower its quality with slang. I cringed when I first heard they were adding "ain't". I think slang words should have their own dictionary.

As for the words listed above, i've used and heard of all of them, except for gamification. I have to go look that one up. I don't want to be too much behind times.  :wink:

Woah, really?  Not sure if ''ain't'' should have made it to that dictionary to be honest,  I don't think that  weird slang conjugation shouldn't even be added, but oh well, maybe they want to modernize the content of this dictionary as much as possible.

Well, I am a bit biased on this one. I hate to see words like that in the dictionary, but you know what they say. The language is alive, new words are formed every day, some stick and some get forgotten. The term "selfie" is used thousands of times on a daily basis, so it's only fair to put it in the dictionary. Alongside all the other new words.

The Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary publisher just announced they are adding 150 words to the next edition.  There are some interesting ones!

Here are just a few:

* selfie

* tweep

* hashtag

*crowdfunding

*gamification

There are lots more.  A summary is here: 

http://www.merriam-webster.com/new-words/2014-update.htm

Check it out and let us know your thoughts.  Have you been using some of these words?

Oh geez, English is my first language, and I have no idea what "tweep", "crowdfunding", or "gamification" are. I am 28, haha, how can I be quite so out of the loop!?

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea what some of these actually mean, but I guess these words prove that language is continuously evolving. I see no reason why they shouldn't be included. If we will not allow words to be added, language might die.

Haven't google been added as a verb? lol

I think slang words shouldn't be added to the dictionary, they're just replacing words that already exist, if it were new words I would understand that, but changing the meaning of already existing words? That's not necessary.