Linguaholic

How about a dead languages part of this forum?

I love dead languages. Manx, Egyptian, Ancient Greek, Latin, Norse and lots of others. Cuniform/Sumerian would be awesome to see on here. Just a suggestion.  :wink:

Any chance of my suggestion happening? :smile:

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Dear Hoodoowytch

That's a very interesting suggestion. I will definitely think about it. The problem is just always the same: At the beginning new forums are very empty it takes quite a long time until people are willing to contribute and share their experience/knowledge. Moreover, linguaholic.com had over 100 forums in total until very recently...then I decided to merge some of the forums, because some of them very pretty empty. So the strategy of this forum (at least for now) is to keep the number of forums as low as possible (we currently still got 78 sub forums in here!). However, I would also love to have a section for dead languages...So if you have a good "concept" in mind, please let me know more about it. Also, if you would like to moderate this kind of forum, please let me know.

We also do not have a sub forum for ASL or let's say SL in general. That would be another thing to think about, right?

best wishes from Switzerland

Lingua

YES! I think a Sign Language Forum would be very nice.  As for a 'concept' for a dead languages section of the forum...I'm not entirely sure what you would be looking for....but I can give it a shot.  Maybe one could start with one or two dead languages...like Ancient Greek and Latin, or try for a couple of the old Celtic Languages. Irish and Scottish Gaelic perhaps? Or the Manx from which both come? 

Not sure if that's what you mean, but maybe that helps?

I love dead languages. Manx, Egyptian, Ancient Greek, Latin, Norse and lots of others. Cuniform/Sumerian would be awesome to see on here. Just a suggestion.  :wink:

Any chance of my suggestion happening? :smile:

I think a sub-forum on Latin would be interesting.  :smile: It's a dead language but still being used in prayers and legal/medical terms.  I think it can be helpful too.  :angel:

Some of the languages you guys just mentioned already have their own forum on linguaholic.com. If you scroll down the whole way down to the "end of the forum", you will find a section called 'Other languages'. In there, you will find Latin, Gaelic, and some more  :wink:

As for Manx, Ancient Greek and so on, I will try to come up with something. However, it might be a good idea that you first post your questions / information about those languages in this section here. As soon as we got enough threads related to dead languages, we could move them respectively into a new subforum (dead languages or so). What do you think about that?

http://linguaholic.com/other-languages/

Okay thanks admin.  :smile:

Actually, I've never visited that part of the forum yet.  Maybe we can also discuss Manx and Ancient Greek there - in the mean time.  Though I'm only really interested in Latin and a bit curious about Gaelic.  :grin:

I think that sounds just find Admin! I shall check out this part of the forum post haste! I hadn't ever made it down that far as of yet. Just been slowly working my way down the forum.  :smile:

YAY! Gaelic! Such a pretty looking language too. My hubby actually took Latin when he was in high school many, many years ago. I know a little bit of Latin and Gaelic...and I think Latin might actually be easier. LOL

How about instead of doing a dead languages forum there could be a forum that would be suited to all different languages that aren't included elsewhere. There are so many different languages in the world that it would be impossible to include them all but having a space for everything else would give people an opportunity to talk about any language that they were interested in.

How about instead of doing a dead languages forum there could be a forum that would be suited to all different languages that aren't included elsewhere. There are so many different languages in the world that it would be impossible to include them all but having a space for everything else would give people an opportunity to talk about any language that they were interested in.

Well, we already have this kind of forum, dorannwin. Please have a look here:

http://linguaholic.com/study-other-languages/

• 3 months later...

I love this suggestion. I studied Attic Greek in college (it is what led me to major in German, actually). It would be fun and interesting to peek back into the language. I was one of those unfortunate types who did not have access to dead languages in high school, which was only made apparent to me when in an Attic Greek course; all the other students had studied Latin. A resource page for learning Latin, or a page with oft-used phrases with translations, would be great to read. I'd rather that on an interactive forum than through a collection in a blog post that I found on Google. Keep this suggestion in mind, please! I think it would get good results.