Linguaholic

Korean as a course

Pink Glitter

Most colleges and universities do not offer any Korean language courses. Does anyone attend a school that teaches Korean as a second language? If your school offered Korean courses would sign up?

My college doesn't offer it. There's just simply not enough resources to start a Korean class. I think most people would be interested in learning Korean because of the Hallyu wave. Very few are actually interested in the language itself though; it's more like the culture they appreciate.

• 3 months later...

Miya, I feel like that happened with Japanese, and many people started learning the language as well.  To be perfectly honest, I started watching kdramas and Korean variety shows and that was how I got interested in learning the language.

Pink Glitter, I'm not in school any more, but I have looked around at the colleges and universities around my area from time to time.  None of them seem to offer Korean classes.  I think there still isn't enough interest yet.

• 2 months later...

Well, I would sign up immediately for a course in Korean if it were available to me at any school. Of course, this could be because I'm new to learning the language itself and like to learn in more professional settings or through verbal communication with native speakers. Unfortunately, neither are that common for me in my surrounding area.

I would just for the fun of it and for my personal enrichment. We have lots of Korean students here and they usually just keep to themselves so I'd be happy to learn their language so that they will feel more comfortable in speaking with me. I got to know a Korean girl and she was very friendly and even taught me a few phrases so I definitely have grown interested in the language.

• 1 year later...

NYU offers courses in Korean which I am taking. My Elementary Korean I professor was super understanding about everything and taught it so that we all could follow along easily. At first I was intimidated about receiving a grade for a foreign language course, but I ended up getting an A. As long as you put in the right amount of effort to learn, I think the professors will notice and your grades will reflect that. I'm continuing my studies next year as well :-)