Linguaholic

Fun English Spelling Quiz

whnuien

I created a quiz for fun and distributed it to my friends a month ago. They really liked it and I thought I would share it with all the members here too.

If you are interested to take the spelling quiz then go to the address below:

http://www.mummywithstyle.com/2014/04/why-spelling-is-important-have-you-ever.html

Every questions are provided with two similar choices but contain two words that are spelt differently, pronounced alike, and with different meaning. You have to choose which is the correct one.

You can get your score at the end of the quiz. If you like to then you can place your score here :)

"I don't have filling for you

I don't have feeling for you"

Are really one of these correct? They both sound gramatically incorrect to me...

I got it 100% correct anyway. The answers were pretty obvious, since there were only two choices and one of the choices on every question was just so wrong that it was almost funny.

Are really one of these correct? They both sound gramatically incorrect to me...

I got it 100% correct anyway. The answers were pretty obvious, since there were only two choices and one of the choices on every question was just so wrong that it was almost funny.

Oh I have always thought it was "I don't have feelings / fillings for you) :D

Thank you so much for bringing that up. I will correct it :)

Quite an interesting spelling quiz. Both answers in number 9 could have been correct. Grammatical spelling can truly be a problem for some people and can only be solved by reading a lot and getting familiar with each word. 

Quite an interesting spelling quiz. Both answers in number 9 could have been correct. Grammatical spelling can truly be a problem for some people and can only be solved by reading a lot and getting familiar with each word.

Thanks a lot. I made a slight change to the question number 9 to make the differences more obvious / clear :)

Call me crazy, but I believe they aren't correct at all, the verb ''feeling'' should plural.  It's kinda funny tho.  For some reason this reminded me of someone's English,  this person's English isn't so bad, but isn't so good either :P

By the way, I took a look at this quiz and you are right, one of the choices was always so obvious it was impossible not to guess right.  Of course, it could look like that to us because our English is good, but for others who are just starting... this quiz could be really hard to answer.

Call me crazy, but I believe they aren't correct at all, the verb ''feeling'' should plural.  It's kinda funny tho.  For some reason this reminded me of someone's English,  this person's English isn't so bad, but isn't so good either :P

By the way, I took a look at this quiz and you are right, one of the choices was always so obvious it was impossible not to guess right.  Of course, it could look like that to us because our English is good, but for others who are just starting... this quiz could be really hard to answer.

Haha, yeah, that's why I said it was gramatically incorrect. "Feeling"/"Filling" are both correctly spelled words, but the sentences are gramatically incorrect. (Gramatically incorrect = completely incorrect in this case. I think we mean the same thing...)

True, although I do have a feeling that people who are on these forums atleast know some english. After all, it's a forum where people speak english... Unless one is here simply to learn more English, I would deem it hard to be here at all without some english knowledge.

http://www.quizbox.com/builder/result.aspx?max=100&q=10 

I got a hundred. I posted here the url, though I don't know if it's going to appear. Anyway, it was a lot of fun. It's really confusing when you have two words of different spelling but of the same sound. I think it would be a lot more easier if the word is just said and asked how to spell it.

LOL, pretty amusing quiz, let me tell you that if you don't have 100% on this you will never have another 100% opportunity because it's a really easy one!  :grin:

Do you look week?  :grin:

Oh, how fun! I know a lot of people mentioned that your quiz is too easy. I still think it's a good quiz for beginners. It's a chance to make beginners learn more and smile at the same time. Good for you for doing this.  :smile:

I am feeling like an English master now, 100% correct lol, but in fact it was pretty easy and it's hard to make mistakes there. Sure, for a beginner is a good test though like you say g2narat.

Thanks a lot. I made a slight change to the question number 9 to make the differences more obvious / clear :)

[/quoteI'll go back and look at it again. The quiz is interesting and I like your blog too. Maybe you can add more to it from time to time.

Oh, how fun! I know a lot of people mentioned that your quiz is too easy. I still think it's a good quiz for beginners. It's a chance to make beginners learn more and smile at the same time. Good for you for doing this.  :smile:

Haha thanks.

To be honest most of my friends are considered to be beginners and that was where the idea came from. They did enjoy it and most of them didn't actually made it to 100%.

When I started learning English in the past, most of my questions to my private tutor were all about the complication with the spellings, pronunciation, and their meanings.

Yeah, I got a hundred percent!

Of course English is my native language so that's probably a good thing. :) This seems like a great test for beginning English learners since the spelling in out language doesn't make any sense.

I got a hundred percent, but, being a native English speaker, I'd be rather disappointed in myself if I didn't.  :wacky:

This seems like it'd be a pretty good test for those that are learning the language, though, as I suspect many of these words look similar enough to be able to easily confuse someone who isn't familiar with English.

i got a 100% on this english quiz, but some of the answers i had to guess on because either they both couldve been right or they both were wrong or grammatically incorrect. still a great quiz though, thank you!

Yay! I got a 100% on this English quiz. It was fun but the answers were too obvious to me :P.

It can be a really great test for beginners though!

This is a neat quiz. I wonder how many native english speaker would pass with a prefect score. It is amzing  how many people gloss of the basic or forget as soon as they finish school. This would be a fun test to give to school age children to make sure they have a good grasp on the basics. I can see how valuable  this could be fo those new to english , it could also help give a refernce for those words that can be a little confusing.

This is a neat quiz. I wonder how many native english speaker would pass with a prefect score. It is amzing  how many people gloss of the basic or forget as soon as they finish school. This would be a fun test to give to school age children to make sure they have a good grasp on the basics. I can see how valuable  this could be fo those new to english , it could also help give a refernce for those words that can be a little confusing.

Thank you so much, I appreciate your thought. I agree that there are many people who forgot the basic as soon as they left school, not just for languages but also for other subjects. As for me, I stopped caring about History after I finished school even though I used to get high scores in exams  :wacky:

• 3 weeks later...

Hooray, 100/100!

I enjoyed it, in fact I think that was far too short.

You should make a test focusing on the "there/their/they're" and "your/you're" distinction - people mix them up all the time!

And while you are at it, why not throw some "should have/should of" in there...that one really grinds my gears...

good job!

Hooray, 100/100!

I enjoyed it, in fact I think that was far too short.

You should make a test focusing on the "there/their/they're" and "your/you're" distinction - people mix them up all the time!

And while you are at it, why not throw some "should have/should of" in there...that one really grinds my gears...

good job!

Thank you so much :)

Those suggestion are indeed very good and I appreciate it so much. I do plan to make more quizzes but I didn't have anymore idea so thanks again.

Got a 100/100 too!

I would love a quiz about in/on/at uses, they always get me. Loved your quiz though!

And that thrust/trust question... :laugh:

:wacky:

Thanks and I appreciate your suggestion. I would definitely love to make a longer quiz so it's great to get more ideas from others here.

I admit in/on/at do sometimes or always get me too so I have to keep double checking it with my husband when I'm writing.

I got a perfect score! Yes! Haha! This is actually a fun game even though it's very easy. Thanks for sharing this link! I'll definitely share this one to my friends too so that I can brag about my score if they didn't nailed it haha! Kidding!