Linguaholic

Cherokee

hoodoowytch

I am wondering where I could find a basic Cherokee, ( or ANY of the Native American languages for that matter!), language book?  CD? An online dictionary even?

I have a passion for dead, and nearly dead, languages. I know that most of the languages of many of the tribes that once lived here are as extinct as they are...but I know a few still remain and few still speak these beautiful languages.  I'd like to add any of these to the collection of dead languages I am studying. :smile:

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Dear Hoodoowytch

You are right, it is really not easy to find good online resources for the study of Native American Languages. You might want to have a look here for some valuable resources for American Native languages:

http://www.nativeweb.org/resources/languages_linguistics/native_american_languages/

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I am very glad you created this! I am also interested in learning Cherokee, or any Native American language for that fact. My husband is Native American, Lumbee to be specific, and I have always been fascinated with Native Americans. I find their languages beautiful and although my husband knows some I want to master the language to be able to teach our children!