Linguaholic

Spanish shouldn´t be learnt, Spanish should be lived.

I´m spanish teacher in a secondary school, I´m interested in learning Spanish in my own home:

Travel this summer to the north of Spain, a peaceful village 45 minutes from Bilbao and San Sebastian and only 12 kms from the beach.

Private classes, adapted to the level, interests , and learning style of the student.

Total immersion in the Spanish language. Make the most of your time.

Accredited Spanish teacher with proven experience.

An opportunity to get to know the local culture.

Courses from 1 to 4 weeks, with either 15 or 20 hours of class per week.

Includes accommodation, Wi-Fi Access, and three meals a day.

It is also possible for two students with the same level to register for course together and share a room. This will  come with a 20% discount

more information: [email protected] (0034680384928)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the title of the thread. As any language to get hold of it very well, one must live it and practice it. One must put it into his heart. That's the purpose of learning anything. Learning something you find no use is a waste of time.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with 003! I'm trying very hard to learn the Spanish language, but it helps a lot that I am very interested in the culture and practices, as well. Learning a language without knowing about its culture is like playing a sport without the puck/ball! A culture's language is its legacy. :)

• 2 months later...

Wow, this definitely sounds exciting and intriguing! I definitely subscribe to the fact that Spanish, and all languages, need to be FELT personally, by all seeking to learn, rather than just learning either on one's own, or in front of a book!

I visited Panama about four years ago for a two-week immersion, and it was like every single thing that I had learnt in a typical classroom before that period, suddenly came to LIFE!

I would love to get from you some more information in terms of the cost of this immersion program, because I'm a  SPANISH FANATIC and diligent student who has become fluent, but am always seeking to add to my knowledge!

Thank you for providing this link! I am looking forward to hearing much more from you!

Bendiciones

It does yield better results if you live or stay around the people that speak the language you are learning. This sounds like a great way to become more fluent in any language and would certainly be a plus for those that want to master the language more speedily.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, immersion is the fastest way to learn, but I think it is helpful to have a good bit of classroom or other study ahead of time so you have a foundation to work with.  I really wish I had had the opportunity to do an immersion program or trip to work on my language skills, but unfortunately for most Americans, the expense is too high.

• 4 weeks later...

You are absolutely right! I think in every language it should be lived and spoken the with the energy of the native speakers. Italians talk with their hands and use emotional expressions to accentuate words, which I know Spanish do the same. Live the language that you want to speak

To get the most out of anything you must really apply yourself.  Beyond that , it is necessary to be in an environment that will give you a good chance to advance toward your goal.  This is what immersion is all about.  Surrounding oneself with a language and allowing it to seep into your being.  Indeed you must live it in order to learn it.

• 2 months later...

Absolutely true, immersing yourself in the culture and life of the language you want to learn is the most effective and quickest way of picking up a language. You also learn the language as it's spoken not text book speak, which tends to be useless in my opinion. People look at you funny when you come out with all these big, posh words!

I am currently doing exactly that. I have been living in Latin America for a year now, and my focus has been on absorbing the rich Latin culture, immersing myself in every aspect of life here, without worrying too much about the many mistakes that I make when I talk in Spanish. The people here love it when I talk in their native language, no matter how false it sounds at times. They still understand me, and enjoy my company as much as I enjoy theirs. :)

• 3 months later...

Very true! I'm living in Colombia right now and it feels immersive being in the culture, eating the food, meeting the local people.

With that said, I don't think just because you're living in the country that you can suddenly improve your Spanish. It certainly wasn't the case for me for the first 3 months.

You really have to work at it! Take a language course, or just get comfortable speaking with native speakers in the country.

With that said, most of us don't have the luxury or the ability to suddenly travel to a Spanish-speaking country and practice with locals there. I didn't at all!

So personally, I used a platform called Rype (http://rypeapp.com) to connect with a tutor there for professional conversation lessons. It's very easy to use, and they offer a free 30-minute lesson.

Let's live our Spanish!!

• 3 months later...

This is the key to learning any foreign language and where so many budding new foreign language students fall by the wayside. You can't just learn a language from books or from a good teacher. You need to live the language and make it part of your life, now and forever. It is well worth it! Here is an interesting article on the topic: http://coursefinders.com/en/studentlibrary/1214/to-learn-spanish-you-must-understand-spanish-culture-and-customs