Linguaholic

Has anyone tried or heard about Li Yang's Crazy English method?

With the slogan, "By shouting out loud, you learn" Li Yang's method for learning English for Chinese has been encouraging students to shout at the school building's rooftop or in the middle of the field. Do you think this method is effective? What are your thoughts about this non-traditional method?  :amazed:

I have never heard about this rather special from Li Yang. Well, after all, I don't think that it is a very effective method and you can possibly just use this method for a very short time, as nobody is capable of shouting all the time.

However, according to my experience, Chinese people or let's say Asian people in general are often pretty shy when it comes to speaking (out loud) foreign languages, so if they are forced that way to be brave and to speak out loud what they learned in a foreign language, this might have some positive effect on their studies. What is more is the fact that in my opinion, using rather weird study techniques works best and in this case the shouting out loud of Vocabulary might really help to create some sort of mnemonic device for the actual word/vocabulary.

I have never heard about this rather special from Li Yang. Well, after all, I don't think that it is a very effective method and you can possibly just use this method for a very short time, as nobody is capable of shouting all the time.

However, according to my experience, Chinese people or let's say Asian people in general are often pretty shy when it comes to speaking (out loud) foreign languages, so if they are forced that way to be brave and to speak out loud what they learned in a foreign language, this might have some positive effect on their studies. What is more is the fact that in my opinion, using rather weird study techniques works best and in this case the shouting out loud of Vocabulary might really help to create some sort of mnemonic device for the actual word/vocabulary.

That evaluation is really on point. According to an article I read a while ago, this unconventional method was indeed a way to emphasize the oral aspect of teaching language which aren't as pronounced in their curriculum.

I also agree that it could be developed into an interesting mnemonic device. Just be sure to be alone and secluded.  :emo:

• 1 month later...

I wonder if I could use this technique for other languages?

Anyway, all shy people, regardless of what languages they're trying to master, would definitely benefit from this unusual method.

• 1 month later...

With the slogan, "By shouting out loud, you learn" Li Yang's method for learning English for Chinese has been encouraging students to shout at the school building's rooftop or in the middle of the field. Do you think this method is effective? What are your thoughts about this non-traditional method?  :amazed:

I have never heard of this method. I wonder what's the reasoning behind it. Do they claim it's more effective than traditional method? Maybe it's the absurdity of the method that makes students retain the language more? Just a guess.  :grin:

I've never heard of the method. Based on what you told us, it sounds like a joke rather than a valid method. Why exactly would shouting the words help? Perhaps to improve your pronunciation, since it gives you a good reason to actually speak? I don't get it.