Linguaholic

What were your first words?

linguaholic

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

The first ever word I was spoken my mom told me was "DD". I know it's not even a word! LOL But it turns out that it's what my brain remembered when my mom keeps saying "dede" which means breast when she was breast feeding me. It's even funnier now because my boyfriend calls me "DD" because it's the first letter to my real name. He just doubles it. Lol

You might have to ask your parents about this, as you probably won't remember  :wink:

I did not yet ask my parents about it but I guess it must have been something like Mum or Dad..hopefully it was something a little bit more interesting xD  I will ask my parents later today and will let you know. I am excited to hear about your first words :=)

It would also be interesting to hear at which age it actually happened.

My parents told me, but I don't quite remember right now ( I wish they were next to me now so that I could ask them). What I know however was that my first words were not the usual "mamma" or "dadda". I'm a strange one.  :wink:

You might have to ask your parents about this, as you probably won't remember  :wink:

I did not yet ask my parents about it but I guess it must have been something like Mum or Dad..hopefully it was something a little bit more interesting xD  I will ask my parents later today and will let you know. I am excited to hear about your first words :=)

Maybe my parents would not even remember, I think my first word would have been.. Dada or Ma .. but this is pretty funny i think  :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

My first words must have been food related because I was always a great eater.  :grin: I have small kids and as shocking as this might be I don't recall their first words, they evolve from sounding to speaking pretty fast. I do recall the oldest saying peti cuca (crazy fish - peixe maluco in Portuguese) when watching Nemo, I laughed a lot when he said that.

Mine was Uma! In Korea, kids call their mom 엄마(Um-ma):) i think it was hard for me to call her at first  :shy:

Lol, I just asked my mom and my first words were "Food" and "Hallo" never knew it was those two words and it made me laugh  :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't thought about this in a while! According to my Mother, my first word was 'Tree'. I do feel sorry for my parents, although I suppose they didn't have to deal with the implied favouritism of it being Mum or Dad!

Strangely enough my parents say that I didn't start talking or walking until I was 3 years old! 

I am glad that I am not alone here. When I was in primary school, my parents once had to fill in a form about my 'milestones'.

It seems that I was a bit on the late side for a few things, but then and again, progressed faster than other children. This resulted in funny situations!

At age 3, I suddenly started to talk. But, unlike other children, I instantly was able to produce entire sentences. According to my mother, one day, I just joined in a conversation my mother had with a neighbour by saying: Hi, Mrs. Meuleman! Of course, Mrs. M. was surprised and asked how I knew her name. I reportedly responded by saying: I know your name, because that is what my mother calls you.

Apparently, I was one of those kids who wait to do things until they can do them perfectly. :laugh:

For me, it was "dadada" and I kind of think this is a very common things for kids to say first.  Maybe because it only requires you to open your mouth to be able to produce these words.  It does not require much complicated tongue movements as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

I do not remember when I spoke my first word but I know most children say their first word at age one (1). In general babies utter their first word at 11 -14 months, when the lips gain dexterity and the brain starts to match up object with names. Every child reaches this milestone at their own pace. At birth from the very start, babies learn the power of communication . At 2 months they start cooing, at 6 to 8 months they start babbling and make vowel sounds. Within months he hears and imitate the sounds he / she hear when you speak. 

My mom used to remind me all the time that my first word was Papa. My grandma and her have this belief that if a child's first word is Papa that he/she will grow up to be the type of person who is afraid of being hungry as the father is traditionally the one that brings the food home. If a child's first word is Mama then he/she will grow up wanting affection all the time as the matriarch is supposed to provide the warmth. Silly beliefs I know. My son's first word is butt... Wonder what that's supposed to mean?  :tongueout:

My mom told me that my first word was, I kid you not, "telescope". My mom, dad and me were walking around in the park one evening and there was some old man looking through an amateur telescope at the moon and the stars and I saw it and simply said "telescope" :D

My first word was "vroom" even though it's more of a sound actually. But my first real word was "cat" because I used to love my pet cat and one time I almost killed him because I was hugging him too tight. So, its no wonder that it was my first word. Surprisingly, I dislike cats now. For some reason I'm just scared of them.

My mom told me that my first word was "ball", from what I've heard this is a pretty common first word for children to say. I just wanted to play with my ball, I guess? I also said mom and dad pretty early on.