Linguaholic

What were your first words?

linguaholic

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I've got a whole list of my first words somewhere, but the only ones I can remember right at the top off my head are 'ss-shh' for shower, 'gacker' for shoes (which sounds nothing like the actual word 'skor') and 'bua-gacker' for rubber boots, which makes sense as 'bua' meant cow and you wore them when you went to see the cows (I grew up on a farm).

These are not actual words, of course. I think my first real word was probably 'mamma', not very interesting.

From what they told me, the first word I ever uttered was "vinja", pointing at a cow. After some analysis my Serbian relatives decided that I must have meant "svinja", which means pig.

It was probably long decided before I was even born that I would be an enormous animal lover, preferring them to humans.

My first word was the standard "dada". Nothing exciting there. But when I was starting to string short sentences together I would say "piss" instead of "kiss". Which caused no end of dirty looks or fits of laughter everytime I asked for a kiss.

My daughters first word was "muma". Unless I count her most repetitive noise, which was "nein".

The first word of any baby born in my part of the world is always 'amma' (mother). It's extremely simple to pronounce. I guess I would have started out the same way. For those who want to know what language it is in, let it is Tamil, the language spoken in the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Anyone else who speaks Tamil around here?

• 4 weeks later...

My first words were most peculiar and frankly frightened my parents! I didn't say anything for about nine months and suddenly I said “I want a bottle.” Not mama, and not dada. I also hear that I picked up on language really quickly. Unfortunately this ability did not carry into my teenage years, as German posed quite a challenge for me!

• 3 weeks later...

Mine was the traditional "mama," though instead of pertaining to my mother, I was pertaining to a random guy (we usually call men we don't know as "mama", as in ma-ma with an abrupt end to the second syllable) who has an ice cream. And I love ice cream.

now THAT's a real fun idea. i honestly dont think they remember but i also think it was 'mama' or something similar. where i live people really don't care what your first words were haha but i'll try to ask my mum, it will be interesting to find out.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't exactly know but if you can get a hold of my parents and ask for any proof, they will be more than happy to help you. I am pretty sure they were some of the most simplistic English words that a person at that age can learn.