Linguaholic

What were your first words?

linguaholic

My first words ever were "moma" which i'm sure many people on the forum have also.

I've heard that for young babies, putting their mouths together to make the "M" sound, is one of the easiest, which is why "moma" is so frequently babies first word.

They also love their mom's haha.

You might have to ask your parents about this, as you probably won't remember  :wink:

I did not yet ask my parents about it but I guess it must have been something like Mum or Dad..hopefully it was something a little bit more interesting xD  I will ask my parents later today and will let you know. I am excited to hear about your first words :=)

It would also be interesting to hear at which age it actually happened.

As far as I am aware, and this has been proven in some way, a childs first words are always 'mama' This isnt because mum is the most important person around but it is down to the natural way a baby is first able to form words and shape it's mouth.

Apparently, the muscles in the mouth arn't so strong and saying 'mama' is just opening and closing the mouth.

Guest akasha24

I asked my mother about this a very long time ago and if I remember correctly, I think she said my first word was dad in my language Hungarian. In Hungarian dad is "apa". It's really easy to say, much easier than "anya" which means mother.

My mother said that my first words were "mama" and "dada", she said that "mama" came first though, pretty typical words for children nowadays I guess. :laugh: Apparently I spoke them when I was around the age of 1 and a half. I learned to walk on my 1st birthday as well. :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Unlike many people, my first word was not "mommy" or "daddy", it was "Ray". According to my mother, when I was a baby, my uncle, her youngest brother, used to provoke me almost every minute. In protest, I tried my best to indicate that he was taunting me, by shouting his name. Today, he still considers me his favorite nephew and he continues to provoke me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh! This question is so interesting! I should ask my parents what are my first words during that time because they are the ones who knew it because I am a little baby at that time...I don't know If they still remembered that..I hope so....And now I am excited to hear from them what are that words..Thanks for asking! :)

My parents are not so sentimental and they cannot recall what when or where i said my first words and so this was sad for me to find out. But i guess i cannot really blame them. It really is not so special. You just want them to start speaking as soon as, and when they do, you forgot that they couldnt.

• 2 weeks later...

My mother tells me that I didn't speak at all for my first two years and 11 months of my life, then on my third birthday I just started speaking to her in full sentences. She was thinking of getting me tested for possibly being slow, but then all of sudden was bewildered and thought that I might be a genius, lol. Neither thing was so, but it's def an interesting little story to think about.

I'm sure mine were something common like mom or dad, too. I am, told, however, that when I was very, very young and not yet able to talk, I came running to my parents saying, "nake! nake!" Eventually they followed me outside, and I proudly led them to a rattlesnake I had found (we lived in the country).

So after mom and dad, I think "snake" was my first word. I'm still trying to figure out how a baby barely able to stumble around on two legs was left alone unsupervised long enough to find a rattlesnake!

Oh my goodness! haha, wow that could've ended differently. What a smart baby you were!

I think my first word was mama, around 6 or 7 months. I caught on quite quickly apparently.

Never really thought about that :doubtful:.Guess i'm going to have to ask my mom. I'm thinking that it must have been "dada"(father),the most obvious in my country.My daughter at eight months old said "love you".Realizing now that those little things do matter, parents are going to have to take closer note :smile: