Linguaholic

Is Nukular (Nuclear Pronunciation) Now Acceptable?

I often hear this pronunciation made by Americans, and I'm wondering if it's officially recognized or if it still is considered a mispronunciation but given a pass due to the frequency of people who choose to pronounce it this way.

I know George Bush famously uses this pronunciation, so I'm guessing it's probably become official since the president used it.

Do you guys know of any other famous people who say nu-ku-lar instead of nu-kle-ar? Do you know of any more common mispronunciations?

To be honest with you... this is the very first time I hear about this, hehehehe!  Well, I've alas pronounced nuclear the way it should, not surprised the president Bush mispronounce it... it must have something to do with the fact he is Texan (their accent makes some words sound so different from others).

To me that pronunciation will never be correct, and I suppose they will never make that pronunciation official... ever!  Mispronouncing a word can't make it right or official... I sure hope that! It could happen tho, you never know... we are seeing some really crazy stuff nowadays.

This pronunciation is actually new to me. I really don't see how it fits the word either. It's like using a word with a foreign root.

Just like everyone else this is the first time I've heard about this other pronunciation of nuclear. Even though I heard somebody saying the word that way in the past but that was because the guy wasn't an English speaker and he had a hard time pronouncing the word correctly.

Me too, I've never heard of Nuclear being pronounced like Nukular, but I really have no problem if people speak the way they want as long as they are understood. I don't nukular would be understood as nuclear though.