Linguaholic

Re: Self Learning

meli

Being able to speak another language is fantastic and how lucky are we to live in such an international world where we can be open to so many languages and cultures! Judging from this forum, most people are happy to use online resources to learn a new language on their own. Apart from face-to-face and in-class courses there are plenty of reasonably-priced teaching materials both in the marketplace and online that can make such learning both cost-efficient and uncomplicated. But regardless of how easy and relatively cheap these self-teaching methods are, nothing can replace the human contact and experience that comes from actually making eye contact with a teacher or a native speaker. I think that learning a language is about so much more than just the grammar and morphology. It's also about the nuances communicated by gestures and expressions, by smiles and frowns that sometimes just creep into the speech of human language. I think we should aim to minimise being part of a cold and sterile environment such as the one offered by today's technology, which insists on keeping us separated and filtered through a screen, by choosing the more personable approach of human contact. :wink:

What does everyone else think?

Self learning also is an option but I would suggest you take help from someone. At least you can take the help of DuoLingo which makes language learning a very easy and attractive process. That is how you master complex words, by phrasing it in sentences and by making attempts to renew and replenish words by practise.

I agree with you. Nothing beats having an actual teacher when you are trying to learn a new language. When you learn a language on your own without a teacher, you are more likely to get off track, at least I do.

Yes, you can not carry out a meaningful conversation with an app. An engaging conversation with a native speaker definitely makes the brain work. Developing practice through the conversational method is the best way of learning!  :grin:

I like human contact most of the time, specially when I am feeling fine, but when I am not... I rather pass.  I agree that socializing with people who speak the language we want to learn is a great way to practice and even learn, but isn't realistic for most people out there.  Unless you are rich, but if you are not... well, searching for resources online is the way to go.

Plus, you can talk to people online as well, practice that way and maybe learn a bit more!  It works well too, better than studying completely on your own.

I agree with you. Nothing beats having an actual teacher when you are trying to learn a new language. When you learn a language on your own without a teacher, you are more likely to get off track, at least I do.

Some people can't learn with a teacher.  I actually had a few English classes at school and couldn't really learn a lot.  It wasn't until I tried learning on my own that I was successful.  Some people can't learn using books and teachers, some people need to do it on their own, I admit I'm a rare case... given the fact I didn't use material I found online... I just chatted and first observed what others wrote...  Not sure if I'd have learnt anything if I had taken a course.

I do prefer a classroom setting or at least some form of human contact whenever I am learning a subject. Other methods, like recent technology would certainly help but having a one to one discussion with no screen separating parties is priceless to me.

That's really true, but in this area, I usually content myself with self-learning. I learn faster this way and I am more comfortable with it. I watch a lot of shows and movies to see those words come to life and I write a lot. I guess maybe it is because I have never met anyone who has the same interests as I do. I'd like to take a course, but it might mess with my studies.

I think that as a beginner, it would be ok to learn a new language by self studying, but when you are already familiar with the basics of that language like proper sentence construction and everything, then you should now seek the help of a native speaker to help you polish your speech and help you to be fluent and error free when speaking in that language that you have chosen to study. Nothing beats the benefits of immersion.

There is nothing wrong with self learnig.You are able to learn at you own pace and spend time focusing out the area of study you need most. You can tailor your education to a style that best fist your learning ability. Sure having someone to teach you is of great benifit ,but there are also adavanatges to being self taught.

• 4 weeks later...

I am more in favor of self-learning because I get to focus.  Although I also do agree that at the beginning, it may be worthwhile to attend a class as that will help put more structure into your learning process.  The moment you develop that structure, it will be easier for you to explore things on your own.

There is nothing wrong with self learnig.You are able to learn at you own pace and spend time focusing out the area of study you need most. You can tailor your education to a style that best fist your learning ability. Sure having someone to teach you is of great benifit ,but there are also adavanatges to being self taught.

I actually managed to learn English that way :D I love self-learning, but to be honest I don't think this is for everyone!  I only encountered a problem while using this method; it's very hard to stay focused if you are not motivated enough. You need to be super motivated in order to make this work! 

For me, I learn best when interacting with another person. I've used Duolingo, audio CDs and software to help me learn Italian, but I don't retain the language as well as when I learn in conversation with another person.

I've tried self learning myself a language. I'll tell you, it's probably one of the harder ways! It's definitely easier to have someone who speaks that language that you're trying to learn because then they'll give you tips and stuff on how the vocabulary and grammar are. I find that self teaching yourself a new language is hard, but you can try it if you want. I personally prefer to have a teacher or a friend to help me out.

I think self-learning has advantages and disadvantages as well.  It's really difficult to generalize as it does depend to a great extent upon the individual's learning style and level of commitment.

When you are learning on your own you have to have much more discipline to stay focused and committed to your studies.  That will mean setting aside time to study and practice using whatever resources are helpful.  But if you're on your own, you do have to be persevering in setting and keeping to your schedule to meet your goals. 

Classroom learning or even having a tutor or a language partner can be helpful too, as you have other people to hold yourself accountable to. 

But yes, I can relate to and understand self-learning.  It's been helpful to me to learn this way with other subjects, not just languages.