Linguaholic

Best app for learning a language

John Gates

Hi guys,

Recently I discovered this great app for learning Spanish and French. And it's FREE!

I can't believe my son is speaking basic French after a couple of days using it. I never seen him so addicted to something.

It has features like:

• Speech recognition

• HD quality voices

• Interactive learning

• Learn with pictures

• Addictive play

• Track your progress

• Compete with friends

• Real conversations

And it's fun and really addictive. Here's the link

Spanish http://bit.ly/SpanishF

French http://bit.ly/FrenchF

Please tell me if you found it as useful as I did.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks so much for posting this link.  I'm currently using the Spanish program with a couple of friends and I've found that learning together really enhances the overall ease of learning the language.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, just wondering who here has seen the following Kickstarter campaign? Just got this recommended by a friend as they know I'm learning a language. Looks really impressive and I've just pledged for a 12 month language course.

I really like the method and think this is a great deal so I thought I'd share it here so you can al take advantage of it and support this project which looks very promising at the moment. Let me know your thoughts

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1823029873/papora-online-and-mobile-foreign-language-courses

• 1 year later...

I've never used this before.  I heard that Rosetta Stone is one of the best learning tools.  I don't know if they have an app.  However, I've heard from several people who've used Rosetta store that it really helps to learn a new language.

Has anyone used this before?  If so do you have any recommendations about it before I look to buy it?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing! I was trying duolingo but I'm looking for an alternate. I'll give this app a shot, I don't have the time to take classes and app and softwares can be a huge help. I'm thinking of trying Rosetta Stone as well :)

Personally I like Rosetta Stone myself. I don't think they have an app as far as I know. Personally I only like to use apps as a quick reference for new words and diction rather than the sole source of learning an entire language. I like a program to be thorough and though apps are great, I need a little more depth in my learning experience. Rosetta works for me because they feature enunciation, comprehension, writing, and visual examples to help guide you through your language journey.

• 4 weeks later...

My sister uses Memrise (for Polish) and my dad uses Duolingo (for Spanish). I just downloaded Duolingo and am trying it out now. I like it so far- just upon starting, it's asked me what language I wanted to learn, what my daily learning goal was (from 5-20 minutes I think), and if I was a beginner or not to see if I should start with the basics or start on an assessment test to see where I needed to be placed to continue learning.

French is one of the languages I want to learn eventually, so I'm keeping that link handy!

I use two android apps to learn Chinese. That is, Pleco and train chinese. Pleco is very interesting because, besides drawing a character on the screen for translation, you can direct the phone camera to some writing on the wall or on a book and you get the meaning. For Train Chinese, it has long sentences translated beside the word to word translation. They make learning easy and fun.

I have tried Rosetta Stone and I have to say that I was a little disappointed.  Just doing some research I have found several other resources that seem to offer the same sorts of tools that it does, but it is much cheaper and seemingly easier to use.  I am not the best with new formats and new technologies, so the easier and the simpler is the better option for me, and I would rather choose one of these other ones than go with Rosetta Stone again.  I am open to suggestions though, and I figure this is a good place to turn to.