Linguaholic

On 'Boom! Panis!'

ang.diwata

This is the latest craze right now. Every time there seems to be a quotable quote, or something that other finds, I don't know, funny (?) they say this. What does it even mean? I think this is just as annoying as when people started texting in jejemon.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Oh my god, please don't.

Everyone around me seems to use it in casual conversation. It's crazy stupid! I get soooo pissed off by that phrase. It's not even catchy! It was probably used once at the right time, and people started adopting it, and now they've blown it out of proportion without any kind of context whatsoever.  :angry: :angry: :angry:

I don't really find it that annoying, maybe because I don't hear it often enough to get irritated. Though for me it's funnier when people change the last word like in Boom! Panot!  :grin:  Well anyway, it's just another fad that will surely die off after a few months, just like all the others before it.  :smile:

Good for you, then. My friends say this every time they hear something witty, something funny, even something really bland. It does not add context to what was said, so I find it annoying to hear often. I think saying 'Push mo yan!' is way better than saying 'Boom! Panis!' But that's just me. :P

Yes, I agree  :smile:  saying "push mo yan" is way better than "boom panis!".

I think "Boom panis!" is like a "jologs" version of "Boom!".  "Boom" is something a battle rapper would say after knowing that he/she just outwit his/her opponent.  So it's like making fun of the "Boom" expression (or maybe I'm wrong  :tongue:).

Now, that's an interesting take on its history, since, I suddenly woke up one day seeing memes of Vaness Wu with a the 'Boomvaness' caption. Haha.

So, what is Boom panis? :)

I hear my Filipino friend say it once and saw Vice Ganda singing it on tv, I never asked what it meant...

• 3 weeks later...

This is the latest craze right now. Every time there seems to be a quotable quote, or something that other finds, I don't know, funny (?) they say this. What does it even mean? I think this is just as annoying as when people started texting in jejemon.

I don't really mind. We Filipinos have our own memes and I have learned to just deal with it. I think when this craze is over, there will probably be another annoying one to replace it. I just try not to watch TV so that I don't constantly hear annoying stuff like this. Believe me if you don't watch TV, you'll hear it much much less (just from the people on the street) and it becomes less grating.

I hear my Filipino friend say it once and saw Vice Ganda singing it on tv, I never asked what it meant...

I think it just implies that you've heard the punchline already, like when a comedian tells jokes, you know? That phrase just became popular because it's the chorus of an awful song.

"Boom Panis" is a growing meme similar to the "Push mo yan, 'te" phenomenon (they were birthed nearly at the same timeframe, right?). It's a growing term used after punchlines and supposedly "funny" moments.

(It's harder to explain it than to actually get used to the phenomenon.)

I honestly believe this started with the "Boom Vanness" meme that originated when Meteor Garden aired again in the Philippines (after quite some time), being a play on Vanness Wu's name (Vanness) sounding closely like "Panes." In this context, "Panes" is not the same as "Panis" (spoiled). In the "Boom, Panis!" phrase, "Panis/Panes" is taken more as "Owned!/Pwned!" when we use videogame wording.

In essence, the main thought of "Boom! Panis!" in the meaning it wants to convey is, "Boom! It's too awesome you couldn't resist the urge to feel its awesomeness, yes?" (Of course, the meaning varies, but this is the general message that it gives me).

It's not practically that bad, though. To be fair, it's funny and entertaining (irritating perhaps for others who noticed/can't appreciate the rather mellow taste of other Filipinos when it comes to comedy), but I have to say it's not as hurtful as the Jejemon Phenomenon language-wise.

Changing the last word sometimes makes it funnier, though. "Boom, Galit!" "Boom, Panot!" and other words. It doesn't get funny when it's taken too out of the context, though - but when the timing gets itself right, it can become something that's really entertaining. I still don't get why Vice Ganda had to make a song about "Push mo yan, 'te," though. It just says "Push mo yan, 'te," right? The "Boom, Panis!" one had a more entertaining vibe to it.

I don't like 'boom panis!' either. It sounds off and meaningless.

"Push mo yan!", on the other hand, sounds funny and is more practical, especially when you're talking to someone who wants to do something crazy and you want to push him in a sarcastic, but subtle, way. It doesn't sound offensive compared to "boom panis!" which I think is often used to brag (?).

:bored:

• 2 months later...

I get your irritation!

I don't understand why people think that saying this is funny or appropriate. It's just like the jejemon craze! There are many expressions that Filipinos came up with through the years many of which are just annoying.

• 3 months later...

I don't like it. It does not make sense to me. Although I'm guessing it means a spot on dumbness because of the word panis? Panis means spoilt food for instance, right? From that, I think it's meant to be an insult. And boom is an explosive sound. Or does it mean something else?

I especially don't like hearing that from kids. Whether it implies something good or not, it does not sound smart and appropriate.

"Boom Panis" is a growing meme similar to the "Push mo yan, 'te" phenomenon (they were birthed nearly at the same timeframe, right?). It's a growing term used after punchlines and supposedly "funny" moments.

(It's harder to explain it than to actually get used to the phenomenon.)

I honestly believe this started with the "Boom Vanness" meme that originated when Meteor Garden aired again in the Philippines (after quite some time), being a play on Vanness Wu's name (Vanness) sounding closely like "Panes." In this context, "Panes" is not the same as "Panis" (spoiled). In the "Boom, Panis!" phrase, "Panis/Panes" is taken more as "Owned!/Pwned!" when we use videogame wording.

In essence, the main thought of "Boom! Panis!" in the meaning it wants to convey is, "Boom! It's too awesome you couldn't resist the urge to feel its awesomeness, yes?" (Of course, the meaning varies, but this is the general message that it gives me).

It's not practically that bad, though. To be fair, it's funny and entertaining (irritating perhaps for others who noticed/can't appreciate the rather mellow taste of other Filipinos when it comes to comedy), but I have to say it's not as hurtful as the Jejemon Phenomenon language-wise.

Changing the last word sometimes makes it funnier, though. "Boom, Galit!" "Boom, Panot!" and other words. It doesn't get funny when it's taken too out of the context, though - but when the timing gets itself right, it can become something that's really entertaining. I still don't get why Vice Ganda had to make a song about "Push mo yan, 'te," though. It just says "Push mo yan, 'te," right? The "Boom, Panis!" one had a more entertaining vibe to it.

So it has a positive meaning. Still, it is not appropriate to what panis really means. It somehow gave a wrong twist to its meaning. I don't want my child, who is learning to speak Filipino since we migrated when she was 2, to hear that expression and get confused. Adults who are well-versed in Filipino got confused, how much more those who are learning our language. I may be too serious about it, but it is what it is, a wrong definition of the word panis.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't seem to hear that expression anymore, so I guess the fad is slowly fading away.

Good to know, lol. I'm not really irritated when I hear it, but I noticed that it's the masses that are mostly the ones that use the term. The upper class people don't really use it. Well, when you've got cable then you won't really view local channels for entertainment, lol.

I used to receive text messages containing the word "boompanes". What the heck is a boompane? Then I realized that it was not an English word but rather a Tagalog line - boom panis hehe. This word is mostly used by teens and young adults here.

So it has a positive meaning. Still, it is not appropriate to what panis really means. It somehow gave a wrong twist to its meaning.

It doesn't give a wrong twist to the meaning. BOOM PANIS can be translated as BOOM ROTTEN, which is a direct translation. The receiver is ROTTEN and BOOM is because it was created by gamers and BOOM has its own etymology already. It is the local way of saying, "OWNED" or "BURN". Basically, it's saying, "Ready your burn cream cause you got wrecked."

The only positive meaning it entails is for the person saying it because BOOM PANIS usually means the receiver was resoundingly defeated by the one saying it. It has evolved to have many uses different from the initial usage - and it's fading anyway - but it originally meant, "I won, you lost. Badly."

• 3 months later...

I really feel that Pinoys really catch on the trendy speak and just automatically blurt out slang just to sound cool, that most of the time, it gets annoying already. Is Vice Ganda the "author" of "boom panis," or did this start somewhere? People are thinking that they are eloquent and witty, but they are not. "Push mo yan, teh" is a bit all right for me. Same goes with "(insert word) lang ang peg."

I don't want to use it because it is not the way of the learned.

• 2 months later...

I do not see the connection of Boom and Panis. It does not mean anything to me. I have friends from social network sites who are very fond of using Boom but not Panis then later on this comedian fused these two words together thinking that it is cool. I never used this term anyway it is just a fad that slowly died down.