Linguaholic

Old school instructional aids

Pink Glitter

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Back in the day i loved to create my own material :)  I still love it, but I no longer have a printer, if I ever get one I'll surely do it.  I loved to create cards full of new words and drawings, finding the images online was my favorite activity actually.  I searched the in the official MS web site, back when they offered free clip art.

Sadly I think MS no longer offers clip art, at least doesn't seem to have a big gallery.

• 3 weeks later...

I still use a very old Japanese translation book I have, as it provides me with nostalgia and amusement and thus it keeps me interested enough to keep me learning. However, I do supplement it with online videos because the only problem with using just the books is that you never really get the pronunciation right, so hearing it as well provides for a fuller idea on the phrases.

Well, not really. I do remember using the old-fashioned style of flashcards back in the day, I even remember the "machine" that my teacher taught me how to make. It was kind of a flashcard system, but with a milk-package... I don't quite remember what it was for, but I think I remember what it was, for flashcards, in some way.

Today I mostly just use digital flashcards, to save on paper/ink/everytyhing. I do however draw things every once in a while to get my imagination flowing when I'm practising the Kanji. Other than that, I think most digital/new methods are better than old ones. And if we're using old methods, the're probably digitalized/modernized by now.

I still have my Spanish-English dictionary with me way back from the 90's. I think having a dictionary is an indispensable part of your journey in learning a new language, because you can easily just browse it when you are out in another country for example and you have no internet connection and you need a quick translation of a something that you saw, like a sign board for example.

I don't have any old aid's but I really wish I did. When I was in junior high we had some flash cards that we would use to help us learn Spanish, they were fun to use and they actually worked. It would be nice to have them now just to look over them when I can't get on the internet.

Flashcards will always be my favorite.  It has always been very effective for me to remember something.

Recently, I also realized that when you actually write down something, you tend to remember more.  So what I would do is say a sentence aloud and then write it down as well, without looking at anything.  This way, I am able to extract it faster from my memory because I spent time writing it.

I still have my Spanish-English dictionary with me way back from the 90's. I think having a dictionary is an indispensable part of your journey in learning a new language, because you can easily just browse it when you are out in another country for example and you have no internet connection and you need a quick translation of a something that you saw, like a sign board for example.

That's an excellent point!  I actually think most of us depend too much on the internet and fail to even imagine a reality without it.  You made an excellent point, having a dictionary handy is indeed helpful, I have two different dictionaries and will surely take one of them with me next time I travel abroad. I might end up needing it!

I no longer do this but I have used flashcards in the past. I found it to be a convenient way of learning because they are always at hand whenever I needed them and if they are made up of pictures it makes it even easier to remember.