Linguaholic

Learning vocabulary

michael87

Hello guys, I created a web application for learning vocabulary. It's still quite new and there are little over 350 foreign words but I'm keep working on it and keep improving it.

I would like to know your opinion about it and if you think it could be useful for learning and practicing vocabulary  :smile: There are six available languages: English, German, French, Spanish, Polish and Italian.

Here's the address: Vocabulary School

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Isn't this about the same as a flashcard system with pictures?

To be honest, I don't actually see what the benefit would be of using this instead of using a flashcard program with pictures in it. Can you please, explain why one would choose to use this instead of a flashcard system?

I believe it is useful for people who are interested in learning a language. I don't think people who are going to school and have some knowledge in those languages would benefit too much. I like the site but I've just started thinking about learning other languages.

I really liked the site, don't listen to what that user has to say... if they don't like it not your problem :P  In my opinion your site seems to be super useful, I like the design and the UI.  I like flash cards, been thinking of using those to learn new vocabulary, I think using images and text is a great idea to memorize new words.

Back in the day I made my own flash cards with images I found online, I was delighted to take the time to search for those images online actually.  It was so fun, it was back then when Microsoft had a big clip art gallery.

Isn't this about the same as a flashcard system with pictures?

To be honest, I don't actually see what the benefit would be of using this instead of using a flashcard program with pictures in it. Can you please, explain why one would choose to use this instead of a flashcard system?

I honestly think that's exactly what he meant to create ;)  I think he might not be able to explain why one would choose to use his site instead of a flashcard program, don't use it if you think your flashcard system is better ;)  Some people actually like to practice online, because they find it more practical, after all not many so us like to install things on our PC.  Actually if you think about it... the latter is a plus.

Thank you guys for the positive response :) It's still the beginning so everything will improve in time and there will be definitely more vocabulary to practice.

I'm almost done with the new layout - the site should look much nicer now. And I start working on the way of keeping track of the users' learning progress.

About the flashcards. Yes, there were used flashcards in the option named: 'lesson' but it's just one part of the system. It should be more oriented on practicing vocabulary. By the way - there will be more advanced vocabulary as well (the learning method of learning it also will be little different than the current one).

That is a reLly neat and useful app that you have built there, I will definitely have to give it a shot really soon. It would be cool if you added an option for users to add words, that way the app can grow much faster. Of course you should verify the words submitted by users is accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you @FosterTXT. Your idea is good and it could improve the database of available vocabulary. The thing is each word should have picture and audio file as well. But I will try to think about it - maybe users would only have to provide a picture and translation.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you are doing a great job here. I am still checking out the site. I am currently learning a brand new language and find flash cards very useful. Let me get back to you on this one in a little while, after I checked out everything thoroughly.

I have a question: what do you wish to achieve that would differentiate your site from, say, http://www.memrise.com/? Flash-cards are a pretty well recognised learning method, which is a good point to start, but what else will the user do? It wasn't really clear to me from first glance.

@Dora M - Thank you, I'm looking forward to hear your feedback and suggestions ;)

@GeraldH - I can't really answer your question because I've never used the website from your example. Nevertheless, VocabularySchool is not about flashcards but learning in practice through varied exercises. It is only and only focused on memorizing vocabulary and one advantage is that each word has always provided audio pronunciation and image representation which improves learning new vocabulary.

Anyway the application is fairly new and there is only the base idea of the system currently implemented. It will grow in time and it will be improved.

Thank you guys for the positive response :) It's still the beginning so everything will improve in time and there will be definitely more vocabulary to practice.

I'm almost done with the new layout - the site should look much nicer now. And I start working on the way of keeping track of the users' learning progress.

About the flashcards. Yes, there were used flashcards in the option named: 'lesson' but it's just one part of the system. It should be more oriented on practicing vocabulary. By the way - there will be more advanced vocabulary as well (the learning method of learning it also will be little different than the current one).

You are welcome, Michael :)  I think what you are doing is very noble and those who don't offer constructive criticism shouldn't do that, since you using a big portion of your time and effort into this project.  That's a really wonderful thing and I can do nothing but congratulate you  and wish you the best luck ever!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you @Trellum for really supportive words - that truly boosted my spirit :) It's not always easy to find time but I try to do my best. I couldn't work on the website recently because I was super busy but I made some changes yesterday and added some new vocabulary.

• 2 weeks later...

@Ariane You're welcome :) I will also add more advance vocabulary in future.

@CrystalMarie Thank you. There should be something like this implemented in future. Precisely, when there will be more users :) I'm planning to create some system of learning progress comparison between users but I'm still thinking how should it work and what kind of interaction I could make.