Linguaholic

What were some of your favorite childhood storybooks?

Azurix

I loved reading Corduroy Bear as a kid. This is probably because I really loved stuffed animals as a kid, and had a certain one that I would always carry around. I thought Corduroy Bear was cute and I had always wanted a bear like him. There are a lot of popular children's storybooks, which one of them was your favorite when you were younger?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Some of my favorite childhood storybooks are still common today. They are:

-Alice in Wonderland

-Little Red Riding Hood.

-Hansel and Gretel

-Cinderella

-Rumpelstileskin

Mine would have to be books by Dr.Seuss. I learned English from reading Dr.Seuss books. I guess that adds to the nostalgia I feel whenever I see a book by Dr. Seuss. I have more children's books that I love but a lot of them I appreciated more as an adult than when I was a kid.

Mine would have to be books by Dr.Seuss. I learned English from reading Dr.Seuss books. I guess that adds to the nostalgia I feel whenever I see a book by Dr. Seuss. I have more children's books that I love but a lot of them I appreciated more as an adult than when I was a kid.

Yes, the Dr. Seuss books were some of my favorites as a child, especially these:

"The Cat in the Hat"  and "The Cat in the Hat Comes Back"

How the Grinch Stole Christmas"

"Green Eggs and Ham"

"Horton Hears a Who"

These are the ones that I remember in particular.  Later on, as an adult I did revisit some of these and his other books and appreciated them even more for the use of language.  That's what's so exciting about great children's literature; as an adult you can see the nuances and enjoy the works on a much deeper level. 

My favorite childhood books are those of the Harry Potter series. I realize they aren't exactly children's books, they were what I read when I was a kid. I remember being so into all of the Harry Potter books, I would read them everyday.

Hm, I have this book that's a compilation of a lot of stories (it's the art that really captivated me). Unfortunately, I have been exposed more to stories than actual books, huhu. When it comes to stories, "The Stone Soup" really makes my day all the time. Aside from this, though, "The Little Prince" is also one of my favorites.

"Hansel and Gretel" introduced me to sweets, and I really liked "The Little Red Riding Hood."

• 1 month later...

I have so many. My mom used to love reading to us. And then she got this set that came with cassette tapes that had sing-along music. We used to love it. So some of my favorites were...

1. Books by Dr Seuss

2. Little Red Riding Hood

3. Cinderella

4. Pinocchio

Yes, the Dr. Seuss books were some of my favorites as a child, especially these:

"The Cat in the Hat"  and "The Cat in the Hat Comes Back"

How the Grinch Stole Christmas"

"Green Eggs and Ham"

"Horton Hears a Who"

These are the ones that I remember in particular.  Later on, as an adult I did revisit some of these and his other books and appreciated them even more for the use of language.  That's what's so exciting about great children's literature; as an adult you can see the nuances and enjoy the works on a much deeper level.

Oh I love those stories too. You're right about appreciating them better as adults. And it's not just the use of the language, but also the deeper lessons. As you get older, it's nice to revisit those books to re-learn the lessons in those books too.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't get enough of A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson when I was just starting to read. After I got a little older, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle and Charlotte's Web by E.B. White were the ones I just couldn't get enough of.

'Jack and the Beanstalk' - fee fi fo fum, a great big giant in the sky. There were days I wished I had a goose that lays golden eggs.

'Cinderella' - I liked the fact that someone poor could be helped by magic, what kid doesn't like instant help from magic. Where is my fairy godmother?

'Little Red Riding Hood' - the words 'the better to.... " have been imitated a lot in our family

• 2 weeks later...

My first childhood storybook was, well it's not a child's book really. The first ever story that I've read was Dracula actually, granted I never understood half the words in that book but the story was stamped in my mind and it was really memorable for me as a child.

My favorite was Aesop's Fables. I love the variety of stories. I don't really have a one true favorite among all of the stories but I love the collection as a whole. It was a huge part of my childhood and every time it rained hard I would go to my bed and read.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried to remember all the books I read as a child; I remember the stories instead that made an impact. The princess and the frog was my favorite followed by sleeping beauty. I will never forget how much I was affected by the story of Oliver Twist. I still enjoy reading stories for children. It is my dream to write for children someday.

I really liked Nursery Rhymes as a child and stories such as Jack and the Beanstalk, The Old Lady who lived in a shoe, Little Red Riding Hood and The Three Little Pigs. I would read them over and over. I also liked Tom Sawyer.

• 3 weeks later...

I remembered reading books called ladybird that had several short stories when I was a kid. My parents are now retired teachers; they were very particular that we read extensively when we were children. My mom is in her sixties and you will find her on occasion laughing until she cries reading a good book. I admit that I inherited that from her.

• 1 month later...

Books are not a common fixture in my childhood. I also didn't go to pre-school/kindergarten, so even those nursery rhymes and fairy tales are unheard of to me. The only childhood book I could remember is only PUSS-n-BOOTS. My second grade teacher bought me one since she couldn't believe I'm the only one in class who did know Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty etc. I played catch up in high school at our school library. My favorite then was The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling.