Linguaholic

Swear words

No, this thread is not about posting some obscure swear words, rather so is it about discussing the phenomenon as a whole, and to question common "swearwords".

I recently got a warning on a different forum, because apparently I was swearing in a post. I raised my eyebrow in confusion, because I do not recall swearing out of purpose, but apparently "shit" is a swear-word. It was a bit surprising, as I never actually thought of "shit" as a swear word. Possibly not the most high-class word that you would use in a formal letter, but still, I never thought of it as a swear word.

Swear words to me are words like "fuck", "hell", "motherfucker" and other word combinations of "fuck". There are of course others, but I've never considered "shit" to be one of them.

Do you think that there are any, common swear words, that shouldn't actually be swear words?

Do you think "shit" is a swear word? Why so?

I keep wondering what is this swear word that got you a warning Lasonax.... I'm not brave enough to type it here though  :tongue: I love this forum and I don't want to get kicked out.  :wink:

Haha, oh... I didn't know that swear-words got starred out on these forums. It was on a different forum that I got the warning of course, where swear words was not censored like that.

Without having to say the swearword in one way or another, it's the swearword that could be a synonym to poop. I think you know what I mean now ;)

Haha, oh... I didn't know that swear-words got starred out on these forums. It was on a different forum that I got the warning of course, where swear words was not censored like that.

Without having to say the swearword in one way or another, it's the swearword that could be a synonym to poop. I think you know what I mean now ;)

The word you are referring to is considered a swear word in the English language; there's not much debate about that. 

We have had some discussions here about the concept of "swear words" but the focus has been more on the cultural and social phenomena of words that are not considered acceptable in polite society rather than debating about this word or that word.

It is interesting, I think, that the concept of "swear words" or "foul language" or whatever one wants to call it is common in many cultures and societies.  And as to why people use such language -- to be shocking, rebellious, break the rules, etc. -- also seems to be somewhat similar, too.

Just as I thought  :tongue:

It is a swear word, but it depends on how you say it, who says it, where, when and whatnot. That being said, don't use it here  :wink:

It is interesting, I think, that the concept of "swear words" or "foul language" or whatever one wants to call it is common in many cultures and societies.  And as to why people use such language -- to be shocking, rebellious, break the rules, etc. -- also seems to be somewhat similar, too.

We are humans after all; not only we project our emotions through expressions, attitudes and actions, but through 'colourful' words too.

What country are you from Lasonax? That word that got you kicked out is definitely a swear word, I can't believe you think that it's not a swear word. I would be more puzzled if you are from the US or some Western country and  you did not consider that as a swear word.

I was a bit surprised when I read the list of swear words which Lan. thought weren't swear words. They are definitely swear words and I am yet to think of any similar words which could go as normal words.

• 3 weeks later...

It's definitely still considered a swear word, but as far as words I think shouldn't be counted as cussing, I don't believe there are any. I think some swear words can be used in media often enough that it becomes more acceptable in everyday communication, but they probably will always remain to be considered as bad words.

• 2 months later...

The ***** is supposed to mask what a reader of the content considers a swear word. There is a saying that “one man’s meat is another man’s poison”. What you may consider a regular word could be a swear word to another. We are all brought up in very differently environments; for that reason it is so difficult to relate with majority of people. If they say that it is a swear word, just go with the flow.

That's kind of funny that you ended up getting censored on here just in your explanation of it, too ;). Glad you cleared up which one it was though, so we won't have to wonder forever.

I think the whole concept of "bad" words is just a little ridiculous...they're just words, they shouldn't have that much power (not to mention saying some pseudo-swear in place of it still has the exact same meaning). I think it matters a lot more the intent behind your words...you can string together some perfectly acceptable words that are a lot nastier and more cruel than just throwing out a swear or two. I just find the whole thing really ridiculous and silly.

• 2 weeks later...

I only use swear words when I really see fit, which is very rarely because I really dislike swearing! I don't see the reason for that, when we have so many good words to use, so why not use those to communicate with others better? Isn't like swear words will helps us get understood better.

The S word, like I like to call it is definitely a swear word, not a very strong one, but it really gets to me when I see people using that one just because. Specially in phrases like: ''the **** those people is what is making them sick''. I mean, can they be more vulgar or gross expressing like that about someone's diet! I sometimes use that word, by the way, but not like that. More like when I break something and suddenly I let that word out. Hehehe!

Got curious what is that swear word that made you got banned in such forum, maybe a "S" or a "F". ;)

I have been a member of various forums but I never use a swear words or cursing type of words. Some forums do not mind using those words and they give freedom of expression to their members.

I think it's interesting how language changes and adapts with society. I heard a new word the other day that qualifies as a swear word in schools! It's "THOT" which is an acronym for "That h** over there". When someone said that, I had to ask what it meant. Apparently it's pretty popular and a curse word.

And then thinking back on how "Hell" used to be such an awful word, but now it's said freely. Maybe I'm old fashioned, I just can't get around using any "curse" words in any professional setting.

In Australia, we use f***k all the time to express things that are good or bad or indifferent, such as f***ing great, f***ing awful, or f***ing boring. It is very common to hear the f-word and other swear words on a daily basic in all situations. Most people don't take any offence to swearing as it has become a normal part of the language. It all depends on how the words are used.

Got curious what is that swear word that made you got banned in such forum, maybe a "S" or a "F". ;)

I have been a member of various forums but I never use a swear words or cursing type of words. Some forums do not mind using those words and they give freedom of expression to their members.

Me too. I know some forums allow it but I just don't mind keeping my comments clean online and I'm too lazy and uninterested with swearing in my comments to gather up enough strength to actually look up their rules. I have done so once or twice though when I really wanted to find out what type of content I could share and if I could quote some people swearing but that's about the extent of it.

No, this thread is not about posting some obscure swear words, rather so is it about discussing the phenomenon as a whole, and to question common "swearwords".

I recently got a warning on a different forum, because apparently I was swearing in a post. I raised my eyebrow in confusion, because I do not recall swearing out of purpose, but apparently "****" is a swear-word. It was a bit surprising, as I never actually thought of "****" as a swear word. Possibly not the most high-class word that you would use in a formal letter, but still, I never thought of it as a swear word.

Swear words to me are words like "****", "hell", "mother****er" and other word combinations of "****". There are of course others, but I've never considered "****" to be one of them.

Do you think that there are any, common swear words, that shouldn't actually be swear words?

Do you think "****" is a swear word? Why so?

I in person, do not consider it a swear word, but many people do, it does not matter how and when you use it, they do believe it is a swear word.

• 3 weeks later...

There is nothing wrong with swear words. They are just words, correct?

Words such as "stupid" or "idiot" are not considered as "swear words" but it may hurt the feeling of some people. For some, the "F" word or the "B" word may not be harmful to them.

All in all, it all really comes down to the tone of the voice as well as the context.

• 11 months later...

I was always amused by the concept of swear words.  Who decided what words were considered "impolite". I understand when you are telling someone to "blank" off or calling someone a name, but I'm referring to other words, such as the one that started this post.  It is a synonym for excretion.  I don't understand how that is swearing.  Or when complaining, people call it "b**ching.  This is also an old slang word for something being cool.  How is that swearing?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In the US, the words "swearing" and "cursing" are used interchangeably meaning the same thing...using "naughty" language ("I swear" is a phrase that means, "I really mean it". To curse out someone means to use profane words towards them ("I cursed my cheating fiance out when I found another woman's underwear at his house). 

An American comedian name George Carlin famously told a joke as part of his standup routine about the "7 words you can never say on TV". Although it's a few decades old, it pretty much still holds true in the US, with exception of like 2 words...you'll never hear them on non-cable/broadcast TV.

That being said, profanity (words and gestures both) is relative to where you are in the world. Something as innocent as holding up a single finger to indicate the number 1 to someone can mean a whole lot more in other parts of the world, even the finger you use matters.

Another example, in the US, cunt is a pretty offensive and abrasive word. In the UK and Australia it's not as strong of a word. 

You would be astonished how plentiful is pf profanities the spanish language. Some of them are quite offensive even for a casual conversation. But these swear words are often used anyway, like in some regions from Argentina. Anyway, everything boils down into a cultural perception, some people from different regions take offense for stuff that are regarded as a compliment in another. Language is a curious thing, as human behaviour.