Linguaholic

What made you want to learn the language that you are aiming to learn?

Azurix

For me, I just want to be able to speak my native tongue fluently. Besides that, I would love to be able to communicate with my girlfriend's family members without the need to have someone translate for me. Besides that, I just really love a challenge and would love to say that I taught myself another language. I know how difficult it can be, but I am determined and with ambition!

I was making a coffee one morning when learning French kind of struck my mind. I thought, hang on, I can do this. Besides, my brother is also learning French. So he motivated me to learn as well.

Spanish is actually spoken in a lot of countries, so I got curious to learn it because some of the words being used in Tagalog originated from Spanish. And I got interested in German because I love the music of this German band so I wanted to know what is the meaning of their lyrics, so I am studying their language.

Another question that has been asked a million times already? This is getting a bit annoying. Learn to search guys!  :laugh:

Anyway... As mentioned in every other thread that asks the same question, I want to learn japanese so that I can enjoy Japanese entertainment at it's finest, and to possibly move to Japan one day. (the second is a very far fetched and not so realistic goal in mind. It is possible that I will move there when I retire though, if I still like Japan when I grow old that is)

I want to learn Japanese so I can read manga, light novels, visual novels, and just "books" in general. I want to learn Japanese so I can fluently understand Dramas and anime, without the use of subtitles. Actually, that's about it. I'm very interested in languages in general, so I don't actually need the best reason in the world to stay motivated to learn a new language. And as I said, I don't think the chance of me moving to japan is very big... I wish it would be bigger, but I don't think I will want to go there as much as I do now, when I grow old.

I mainly focus on learning passive understanding, and not so much on actually speaking it/writing it myself.

What inspired me to learn the language I pursuing now is my grandfather. He doesn't speak a word of English so I decided to learn his language which is Spanish. I have never really spoke to him my whole life so I felt it was important to me to learn his language.

The possibility of moving to the country where the language I wanted to learn was spoken.  Right now I'm no longer sure I'll be moving any time soon anymore, so I stopped this last 3 days.  I will be working on improving my English and reinforcing some orthographic rules in Spanish.

My reason to learn English in the begging was the liking to communicate with more people and expand my horizons!  That's one of the reasons I started trying to communicate in English with other people in the begging.  I made  a lot mistake,s I was even laughed at, but in the end I won!

People pointing out my mistakes or laughing at me was never a deterrent; I couldn't stop!

I wanted to speak another foreign language besides English, but ending up in a high school that doesn't focus on languages didn't really help out. I started learning some Japanese for the amount of media I consume, for instance, having to wait before a game is fully translated can be quite a pain. not just that, but I also love the culture.

Oh my, I also love the Japanese culture!  I have a friend who feels the same way, he is currently learning japanese. He said he had already learnt quite a bit thanks to the anime he watches daily ;)  I have learnt quite a bit thanks to anime as well, btw!

It's amazing how things like anime can actually help us learn a language like that.  I have only learnt a few words tho, there is no way I could ever dare to even try to learn how to read or write japanese... too complicated for me :)  For now I'll be content watching anime ;)

When I was in high school, I took French for four years and I was very good at it.  I took another two semesters of French in college but then I stopped.  As time went by, I forgot most of what I knew.  Now, I want to relearn/refresh my skills so that I can enjoy French movies without subtitles and maybe one day visit France. 

I am trying to learn Japanese. Perhaps I got too accustomed to it because I have been watching a lot of animes since childhood, and now I think it sounds cute. The varying intonations in their speech is just music to my ears. Also, if I learn Japanese, watching animes would be a breeze. I wouldn't have to focus on the subtitle to understand whatever the characters are talking about.

I'd love to learn Korean too someday because I also watch a lot of Korean dramas.

:tongue:

For me, I just want to be able to speak my native tongue fluently. Besides that, I would love to be able to communicate with my girlfriend's family members without the need to have someone translate for me. Besides that, I just really love a challenge and would love to say that I taught myself another language. I know how difficult it can be, but I am determined and with ambition!

For me, I have alot of friends who speak Spanish with little English, so that is one of the reasons am learning spanish and also the sound of spanish the they speak it also made me have the desire to learn spanish.

I went deaf. That's what motivated me to learn ASL and other various forms of Sign Language. I can learn to read various languages fairly easily too, sort of translating them into English in my head as I go. Obviously, some are way easier to learn to read than others. :laugh:

I continued to learn my native language because I wasn't quite fluent in it. I tried learning how to write in it, but I found that it was pretty hard, so I kind of stopped. I started learning the language itself even more. I eventually finished, and I was quite proud too because I could start speaking to my relatives mor fluently!

I got inspired by watching Asian series and animation. Ever since then, I dream of exploring these countries. I want to go to South Korea and Japan and it will be a great help and advantage if I know how to communicate with them well should I visit these countries.

I started learning ASL in High School because I thought it would be more stand-out than Spanish or French.

I have continued it, especially through the form of lip reading, but I have recently decided to take 1 on 1 classes.

I think that curiosity is the key to learning a new language. Many people choose to learn a new language because they find that language to be interesting and want to be able to speak it.

Personally, I learned a new language because I had to. I was required to have a second language in order to enter my post secondary. It wasn't too tough though. I was able to achieve a pretty good mark throughout the courses. I ended up sort of liking the language, but once I finished it, I sort of started to hate it for some reason. By the way, the language that I learned was French. I mean, I don't hate it like crazy, but I hate it because it's so complicated with all the rules and stuff. If you guys know how to speak French, you'll know what I mean.

• 2 weeks later...

The most important thing while learning a language is the motivation, you have to like the language, you have to like the culture, the people and the country basically; because everything of idioms is about the culture. we recommend you to take immersion language programs, travel to the country of your interest and learn their language, talk with people, practice all the time, share apartment, make friends there and learn as much as possible. For chinese immersion programs contact us go abroad china !