Linguaholic

Duolingo

amoredise

I started using the duolingo app six (6) months ago. I like the user friendly interface and the fast loading time. I like the multi media approach to learning, but I feel I'm at my best when using the app. If I try and retrieve the new words that I learned the night before using duolingo, I can't find them. My brain is dependent upon duolingo for the words. Are others experiencing this?

• 4 weeks later...

I definitely get the same thing, I am currently trying to learn German. The phrases and key words all stick to me when I am using the app, but the day after I'm clueless.

However since I got a new phone and forgot my login, I've been having to redo the levels - it really helps drill it into your brain a bit more!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using duolingo for a while too, and what I find helps the most is to do the "Strengthen Skills" exercises much more often than learning new skills.

I also recommend using the immersion feature as much as you can, depending on your skill level. The act of translating text from the language you are learning into your native language is very helpful in making those words stick with you, because you are using them in a meaningful way outside of the random phrases that duolingo gives to you.

I would also suggest that if you make a list of words that you have difficulties remembering, and make flashcards out of them. If you prefer to do them online, there are plenty of online flashcard websites, and I'm a fan of quizlet.

Good luck!

JustinP: How much skill do you need to do the immersion? I'm relearning French so I'm not sure of my skill level. I'd really like to learn faster but I'm worried about retaining vocabulary.

I used Duolingo for a bit, I used it to learn Dutch, but for some reason the things I learnt there didn't stay in my mind.  It was like I couldn't really memorize all that.  I guess I still need to type everything I learn, taking notes is very important, but with apps we often think that taking notes isn't that necessary.

JustinP: How much skill do you need to do the immersion? I'm relearning French so I'm not sure of my skill level. I'd really like to learn faster but I'm worried about retaining vocabulary.

It really depends on the article you are translating. Some of the articles they have on there are very difficult, but others are very simple, and don't take too much skill. On the right hand side, there should be a section of options that says "Difficulty" with a list saying "Easier," "Medium," and "Harder," make sure to only have "Easier" checked off.

Another suggestion, if you are know the translation to a sentence but you aren't sure about one or two words of it, is to click on the sentence and on the right it should say "Duobot translation." This translation isn't completely accurate, but it should give you an idea of what is trying to be said.

I was going to write this in my original reply to this topic but I forgot; one thing you can do in the immersion section is to vote on whether or not a translation looks right. This can help your reading ability.

I used Duolingo for a bit, I used it to learn Dutch, but for some reason the things I learnt there didn't stay in my mind.  It was like I couldn't really memorize all that.  I guess I still need to type everything I learn, taking notes is very important, but with apps we often think that taking notes isn't that necessary.

Dutch? You mean German, right? It is not possible to learn Dutch on Duolingo at the moment, but the beta version of the course will be available soon, according to the Duolingo incubator website.

I use Duolingo to learn French. I've finished the basics courses, I am now conquering French food words. The app is enjoyable, especially the pronunciation! It may be repetitive at times, but you need to repeat the words a lot to memorize them, right?

Dutch? You mean German, right? It is not possible to learn Dutch on Duolingo at the moment, but the beta version of the course will be available soon, according to the Duolingo incubator website.

No, actually the beta version is already available! I looked through it a little bit about a week ago, and I have access to the Dutch lessons. I don't plan on taking Dutch though, so I'm planning on doing more German instead.

No, actually the beta version is already available! I looked through it a little bit about a week ago, and I have access to the Dutch lessons. I don't plan on taking Dutch though, so I'm planning on doing more German instead.

Oh, it is? I must have missed it then! I was sure it was still in alpha, that they had to delay the beta release for some reason. Thank you for correcting me!

Are you constantly strengthening your skills? If I recall correctly, DuoLingo uses a Spaced Repetition System, so practicing on a regular basis will definitely solidify the words into your brain. If you have the time/motivation, you should try to strengthen previous skills on a daily basis in order to help you remember the vocabulary better.

On the topic of the new Dutch course on Duolingo, has anyone here who knows Dutch had a look at it? I've been meaning to learn some Dutch, and this could be an excellent resource for me, but I'm just wondering if the course (and in particular the audio) is much good at this stage of development.

Are you constantly strengthening your skills? If I recall correctly, DuoLingo uses a Spaced Repetition System, so practicing on a regular basis will definitely solidify the words into your brain. If you have the time/motivation, you should try to strengthen previous skills on a daily basis in order to help you remember the vocabulary better.

It definitely does use the Spaced Repetition System, at least from what I've seen practicing my French. Basic words like man, woman, girl boy, have, like and such repeat all the time, along with the brand new words you are learning. It definitely helps a lot!

• 1 month later...

I also use Duolingo and really enjoy it. However, I learned my language in college and Duolingo is helping me to hold onto it. For learning from the very beginning, I'm not sure how I'd retain the knowledge. By reading the comments here, however, I suggest you find audiobooks in the language you are studying. It would be even more helpful if you found children's books on audiobook. Audible, owned by Amazon, has a category for Foreign Language. It may also help to just read children's books that have been written in your desired language, not to mention newscasts that are streaming online.

The way Duolingo is set up, with repetition and translation so close together in a short amount of time, your brain is trained to get immediate satisfaction and approval. By separating yourself from that process, you can better retain what you've learned. Struggling gives your brain new muscles! News is the easiest to access. If you don't understand a word, keep at it! Eventually, the two combined should help. Have fun!

Yes, I have been using Duolingo also for learning French. For some time now I have been trying to learn French but have not been successful in getting the pronunciation down. This app really helps because it forces you to speak into your microphone and repeat what you hear. If it does not sound right, the program remembers where you are weak and makes you re-do the lesson at a later time. I think this program helps us do small amounts of language learning a day, correcting us as we go but leaving us with a feeling of accomplishing something.