Linguaholic

Learning language through movies.

falcon001

That is amazing that you are able to learn a language by watching a movie. For me to understand a language, I need extensive teaching to grasp it. I would love to learn French so much that I have not given up even after trying three times. Maybe I should get some French movies that have been translated into English.

I do like watching German films and attempt to watch them without subtitles. My favorite German film to watch is Lola Rennt. The scenes are repeated often enough that a student can really get an understanding of the language.

That being said, I wish there were more access to foreign language television. Does anybody have a source they turn to for news broadcasts, or television shows that are streamed in other languages? If I find one, I'll let you know, but perhaps somebody on the forums has a trick? Share your secrets!

We are teaching my son Spanish and are planning to move into letting him watch Mexican cartoon and his favorite cartoons translated into Spanish, once he has a better grasp of the language.  I've subbed in a few ESL classrooms and every time I have subbed the plans have been the same: Watching a movie in English.

• 2 weeks later...

I like watching movies in other languages with English subtitles on the bottom. I think it's a great way of making the connection between your native language and a new one, as well as learning a lot about the culture and language you're trying to learn.

I learned English mostly through movies. I think that movies are a great source of new words and the proper way to form a sentence. Unfortunately, most movies lack good grammar, but movies enrich our vocabulary, so it's important to watch movies while learning the language you want to learn.

Movies are very inspiring when it comes to learning a new language, they make it much easier and much fun to learn a new language, I would encourage anyone to use movies as a learning source.

I can't see myself learning a language by watching movies. To me that would be a bit too difficult to do. I personally prefer learning through audio cd's and book work. Just the way I learn best. Nothing against those who do so through video assistance and movies.

I agree with you, I also think that constantly watching movies really does help in learning the English language. However, it is true that some movies might sound as if it's not in line with the grammar books that you might have been reading, but that is because movies incorporate slangs as well.  I think it will be better if you continue building your knowledge on grammar through books while watching movies.

It's really hard for a beginner to pick up on much because the words come too fast, but once you have a basic understanding of the grammar and a beginning vocabulary, I think it's a great way to develop your aural skills and learn more vocabulary.  Movies force you to hear natural conversation, at the pace people usually speak, so it gets you to think  in the language faster.

It's all right to learn language through movies but you will only remember phrases and expressions. This will not teach you the basics of language construction or the rules and quirks behind a particular language. A classroom setting would be advisable. Watching movies will, however, fast track your learning and give you a better grasp of the language than those who merely attend lessons.

I think that learning language through movies is a great way to get used to comprehending the language despite accent differences. One of my favorite films to show to friends who are trying to learn English is an older film called, 'Man from Snowy River'. The reason I think this is a good film to learn English to is because it is not only an interesting story line but it has 3 variations of an English accent; Australian, British and American. I think if a person can watch this and comprehend the English despite all the accent variations, then they have a good handle on the language.

Movie watching is one of the many tools a person can use when learning a new language. As there is context in movies, one can readily pick up hints from the visuals in the movie. Imitating how the actors say things is another big help.

My boss used to have his kids memorize movie scripts. His Korean kids are now very fluent in English. He claims movie watching is an effective tool.

I find learning languages from the movies is an easy way to get to know the language if you are able to watch it a few times.  The subtitles help too and can be useful in learning languages, especially with little children who love to watch television. For me, the best option would be to learn the language in the country as you are forced to learn it quickly.

I learned English mostly through movies. I think that movies are a great source of new words and the proper way to form a sentence. Unfortunately, most movies lack good grammar, but movies enrich our vocabulary, so it's important to watch movies while learning the language you want to learn.

Currently I am trying to learn Korean by watching their movies, it helps me out alot, but only learning how speak first, only the speaking and not the writing.

I am learning French and movies are definitely a huge help. It's also really entertaining because you start learning a lot about French culture and even some idioms that textbook don't teach you. I love French culture, so watching french movies and reading french literature feels like cheating because I'm learning doing what I like and it doesn't feel like learning at all  :tongue:

I am learning French and movies are definitely a huge help. It's also really entertaining because you start learning a lot about French culture and even some idioms that textbook don't teach you. I love French culture, so watching french movies and reading french literature feels like cheating because I'm learning doing what I like and it doesn't feel like learning at all  :tongue:

Can you name a few movies so I can watch them too, I'm very much interested in learning french too, I hope to find some good french movies with English subtitles.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. Watching movies will help you enhance your grammar skills and vocabulary. Additionally, you can watch tv series especially series that have good story lines like political drama or crime/police shows. I noticed they used terms that are not familiar or not used often so you will have to look it up on dictionaries. This way you will learn a new word by just watching.

My sister learned Korean by watching Golden Handkerchief, a Korean soap opera. Her Korean friend commented that my sister spoke better Korean than the woman's own son.

I don't think I could do that. But I believe you can all do it. During the silent film era of Hollywood, that is how many of the immigrants learned to read English

I must say, and I've learned English a lot, and I mean a lot, from watching Seinfeld, over and over again, plus movies and other TV shows. I think this is extremely effective when you watch something over and over again. I personally watched Seinfeld between 50 to 100 times (not one episode but the entire series .. I know.. crazy..), and not necessarily because I wanted to learn English from it, but mostly because I've enjoyed it, well, a bit too much.

How about if you're trying to learn other languages apart from English such as French and Japanese? Do you guys play the movie with subtitles on it? I've heard before that one must immerse himself in (e.g. movie watching) even though he doesn't understand them at first.

It is possible to learn a new language through movies but it could not be that much.

This thread reminds me of the movie Terminator 2 cause I learned there the "Hasta la vista baby". :)

I learned English in school but some proper diction or accent, I have learned from watching English movies.

I did learn language through movies and programs, I am Romanian yet I grew up with Twin Peaks and M.A.S.H. and also watching Cartoon Network and later, MTV that is how I many got to speak American English. When I moved to Italy everything was dubbed in Italian and that made me lose contact with English although was helpful for learning Italian. However, when I moved to the UK I realised that knowing American English didn't help very much, I had to unlearn and learn again the British accent and pronunciation.

I think a person needs to have a basic structure of the language first, but once that's done, movies and TV shows are very helpful.

When I first got HBO in my country, everything was in english with english closed-captioning, so I was forced to try to understand. I used to have an english-spanish dictionary always at hand.

Something I did a lot when I was younger was watching an english movie a couple of times with spanish subtitles first, just to completely understand what was going on, and then the third time I would watch it with english subtitles.

I'm starting to learn french, by the way. Any good french movies you could recommend for applying this method as well?