Linguaholic

Raw vs Daw

Looper

I use these words incorrectly from time to time. And maybe you do too? Sometimes I just end up using either of the two without thinking. But before we all forget, here's the proper way:

Raw, Rito, Rin, and Roon

Raw, Rito, Rin, and Roon, are used if the last letter of the previous word ends with A, E, I, O, U, W, or Y.

Example:

Bumili raw tayo ng gatas.

Malulusog ang mga kalabaw rito.

Tatanda rin tayo balang araw.

Mura ang gulay roon sa probinsya.

Daw, Dito, Din, and Doon

Daw, Dito, Din, and Doon, are used if the last letter of the previous word ends with a consonant except W and Y.

Example:

Uminom daw tayo ng gatas.

Malulusog ang mga manok dito.

Yayaman din tayo balang araw.

Mura ang prutas doon sa probinsya.

Note: If you are wondering, which do you you use if it's the first word of a sentence and it doesn't have a word before it? Do you use Dito/Doon or Rito/Roon? You have to use Dito/Doon and never Rito/Roon.

Example:

Dito mo lang mabibili yang dekorasyon na yan.

Doon na tayo kumain sa bahay.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I sometimes have this problem of using the word raw/rito after a consonant.  Sometimes I interchange raw and daw as regards their usage, as I believed it to be correct.  With this guide, I can now be governed by proper grammatical rules in the vernacular.  As of the moment, I am reviewing for the government service examinations, and proficiency in Filipino is a requisite.   

• 2 weeks later...

I use these words incorrectly from time to time. And maybe you do too? Sometimes I just end up using either of the two without thinking. But before we all forget, here's the proper way:

Raw, Rito, Rin, and Roon

Raw, Rito, Rin, and Roon, are used if the last letter of the previous word ends with A, E, I, O, U, W, or Y.

Example:

Bumili raw tayo ng gatas.

Malulusog ang mga kalabaw rito.

Tatanda rin tayo balang araw.

Mura ang gulay roon sa probinsya.

Daw, Dito, Din, and Doon

Daw, Dito, Din, and Doon, are used if the last letter of the previous word ends with a consonant except W and Y.

Example:

Uminom daw tayo ng gatas.

Malulusog ang mga manok dito.

Yayaman din tayo balang araw.

Mura ang prutas doon sa probinsya.

Note: If you are wondering, which do you you use if it's the first word of a sentence and it doesn't have a word before it? Do you use Dito/Doon or Rito/Roon? You have to use Dito/Doon and never Rito/Roon.

Example:

Dito mo lang mabibili yang dekorasyon na yan.

Doon na tayo kumain sa bahay.

I always thought they were interchangeable! I didn't think there was a rule of using one over the other. I thought it was mainly a preference thing! I personally always just used daw/dito! Thanks for clarifying this, I'll make sure to use these properly next time!  :grin:

I notice there is some similarity with American English in this respect. The two "T" sounds in "seat" and "seater' are pronounced very differently in American English.In "seat" it sounds like what the dictionaries say an English "T" should sound like while the "T" in "seater" sounds more like a "D". When a "T" is at the beginning or ending of a syllable, it stays the same but when it is flanked by two vowels, one in front and one behind, it softens into a "D" sound.

In Tagalog, it is the "D" that softens into an "R" between two vowels.

• 2 weeks later...

I never knew that there was a proper usage for those 2 words. I thought that you can use either one of them when speaking. And I swear that was never thought to us in our Filipino subject the whole time that I was in school. Well, now at least I know the difference of those 2 words.

• 1 month later...