Linguaholic

Most common misspelled Filipino words/phrases

Looper

Do you know what are the most common misspelled Filipino words/phrases?

I'm talking about those words that most of us think are correct, but actually are not.

Let's exclude the intentional typos that people do to sound cute or something (ex: poh, akoh)

Anyway, I can only think of these right now.

Kila vs Kina - Kila is not a word. It's only Kina.

Example: Manghihiram ako ng mga laruan kina Rick at Morty.

Tiga vs Taga - Tiga is not a word. It's only Taga.

Example: Taga-Valenzuela pala si Billy.

Palang - It should be "Pa lang". Same goes with Parin, Nalang, Padin, etc.

• 1 month later...

The lack of dash in some words don't seem to bother me as much as the invented words as "kila" and "tiga". I hear that occasionally, and I think that it is quite odd that those wrong and invented words have made their way into mainstream language.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the slight differences in spelling and the way these words are used and pronounced is due to the reason that the Philippines has a couple of dialects. Each region may have used a term slightly different from the other regions and that would explain it.

It does not bother me at all as I tend to respect the fact that these people might have been used to saying things differently based on their location and preference.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know what are the most common misspelled Filipino words/phrases?

I'm talking about those words that most of us think are correct, but actually are not.

Let's exclude the intentional typos that people do to sound cute or something (ex: poh, akoh)

Anyway, I can only think of these right now.

Kila vs Kina - Kila is not a word. It's only Kina.

Example: Manghihiram ako ng mga laruan kina Rick at Morty.

Tiga vs Taga - Tiga is not a word. It's only Taga.

Example: Taga-Valenzuela pala si Billy.

Palang - It should be "Pa lang". Same goes with Parin, Nalang, Padin, etc.

I think pinoys are not strict when it comes to following Tagalog grammar rules. It does not matter if you spell the word incorrectly. Kila sounds cute and it is easier to pronounce than Kina. Tiga is a term used in other dialects so non-tagalog natives might have confused it with taga. I am surprised that pa lang is treated as one word by other people because I am not into that habit.

• 2 months later...

Yes, there are several very simple and very common Tagalog words that are frequently being misspelled not just these days, but ever since texting has become a necessity to our everyday lives. Like for example, the phrase, mo na in a sentence like, Kunin mo na dito. Some texters would type, Kunin muna. Being the one who's in conversation with the sender of the text, you'd automatically understood what it meant only misspelled. But then, there's always something at the back of your mind, asking you, why did he even type it like that. Maybe due to lack of time tapping on the keyboard or maybe, just plain laziness is the reason behind it. Worse, he's simply unaware of what he's typing, which I think most of us should be mindful about for our own future.

Edited by blikkael

I think the slight differences in spelling and the way these words are used and pronounced is due to the reason that the Philippines has a couple of dialects. Each region may have used a term slightly different from the other regions and that would explain it.

It does not bother me at all as I tend to respect the fact that these people might have been used to saying things differently based on their location and preference.

Completely agree. And it's in the nature of languages to evolve across generations anyway.