Linguaholic

io9 - "What Is the Fastest Way to Learn a Foreign Language?"

Kotro

Hahahahaha, sorry, I couldn't help but laugh at some of the comments under the article, some of them are so funny!

Anyway, I think the immersion technique is the best.  That linguist who knows over 50 languages has some good techniques, but I'm not sure if he is the guy I heard about a while ago, a very young guy?  I liked his techniques, specially the walking one, exercise actually helps our brains to create more connections (or so I read) so no wonder that's he combines learning with walking.

the quickest way to me to learn a new language is to stay in the country that speaks the language you want to speak. you would be motivated more and automatically work hard to speak the language to fit in.

• 2 weeks later...

I also think the immersion technique works the fastest. How else were we able to learn the language that we know now if we were not immersed in it after we were born right? Also, hiring a tutor is also the most effective way to learn a new language.

• 4 weeks later...

Some of these techniques are rather strange. Anyway, I believe that immersion would be the fastest way to learn a foreign language. We all learn by different methods so I do get the various methods.

I also think the immersion technique works the fastest. How else were we able to learn the language that we know now if we were not immersed in it after we were born right? Also, hiring a tutor is also the most effective way to learn a new language.

Yeah, if you think about it, immersion is a really good method because you can definitely feel more motivated, because it's nice to actually feel the need to learn a language in order to communicate with others, specially if they don't speak your language and you are living in their country.  I think this might be the main reason immersion is the best way to learn :)

As far as my personal experience has proven to me in recent years, I must also join the 'immersion technique camp'.

When I was teaching English in South Korea, I learned Korean. It was basic conversation language, but it was necessary.  Now, immersed in Thailand, Thai is working its way into my brain.

With me personally, I tend to understand more than speak at first, but once I put the two together, watch out!

I do not think there is a special technique, specially one that works for everyone. The most important part when learning a new language is practice. It is like any other activity, if you do not practice it then you will never master it. In my case, I watch TV shows in the lnguage I am learning and talk to tourist as much as I can and all my thoughts about anything I try to think them in the new language.

Thanks for the line, most of the points were very helpful. Right now I am learning french and I am trying to retain as much information as possible. I make it a priority to learn 20 words a day. This is the fastest way that I have been able to learn.