Linguaholic

What language do you like most and least?

Trellum

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I love Cantonese. I love the way it sounds, as it sounds very melodic and harmonious to me, contrary to what some people might think. I also love that I do not have to remember 10000 verb conjugations, because there are no verb conjugations. The language is hard to master though pronunciation wise. I also don't know why, but I do not like Vietnamese aesthetically.

I once met a Vietnamese girl when I was living abroad, I also thought the way her language sounded was kinda odd.  I then saw how they write it and thought forget it!

Cantonese?  Really?  Do you plan to learn it?  If you do, then let me tell you that you must be a really brave person, learning to write and read Chinese must be really hard!  But good luck, I heard it's the best language to learn if you want to get ahead in the business world.

My favorite language would be French just because I like the sound of the words and listening to people speaking the language. My least favorite would be German because I can't pronounce the words right. I think it is because of all the Z's involved.

I'm learning a language that is very similar to German, and let me tell you that the pronunciation is very hard!  I know you'd hate it for sure as well, it's dutch, lol.  Well, I prefer it over German, because the way it's written is less confusing!  I like how Germans use capitals for objects and so on. That's really cool and informative :)

As for french, yeah, it sounds nice and it seem to be the favorite language of everyone here! 

My favorite language to hear has always been German. I was really into German music when I was in middle school, especially the band Oomph! I love how German speakers can be so hard and so soft with their language, and can sometimes seem to speak harshly and softly at the same time. I also really like Spanish, but that might just be because I have worked with it for so long (I took four years of Spanish in high school, two of which were at college level).

This is an unpopular opinion, but I really don't like the French language. It always seems to be everyone's favorite, but it just sounds like they need to blow their nose. I also have a hard time differentiating between words, as many French syllables seem to sound nearly exactly the same. But that's probably just me. I really wish that I liked French, because there are so many great films and books written in French but I just don't.

We are on the same boat, I do think french sounds ok, but I don't really understand why it's everyone's favorite.  I really think it has a lot to do with the french culture and mysticism, more than the language in itself.  I'm not a big fan of the culture either, so maybe that's why I don't find french that amusing, but most people I know think it  sounds so romantic, but maybe because whenever they think about french they think of romance and Paris.

Looks like we do! I've read your reply again and I couldn't possibly disagree more. I don't want to get into a fight, but French just sounds better than German, period.  :wink:

Kektheman, could you guys live it at... ''everyone is entitled to their own opinion and no one is right or wrong''.  In my opinion this is a very subjective topic, to you french might sound great, but to this guy German does and that's fine, because he has all the right to like what he likes, just like you have the same right.

Saying one language sounds better than another is going too far tho, because I'm sure there are people out there who like German more and hate french, or people who like Norwegian even more.  To YOU french sounds better, but to others DOESN'T.  So let's not get polemic and accept everyone has different tastes ;)  That makes the world a wonderful place, in my opinion at least  :grin:

Kektheman, could you guys live it at... ''everyone is entitled to their own opinion and no one is right or wrong''.  In my opinion this is a very subjective topic, to you french might sound great, but to this guy German does and that's fine, because he has all the right to like what he likes, just like you have the same right.

Saying one language sounds better than another is going too far tho, because I'm sure there are people out there who like German more and hate french, or people who like Norwegian even more.  To YOU french sounds better, but to others DOESN'T.  So let's not get polemic and accept everyone has different tastes ;)  That makes the world a wonderful place, in my opinion at least  :grin:

The language I like the most because of its sounds and the history around it is French. I have always thought of this language as a very sophisticated language, even when I do not believe such thing exists. The language I hate or should I say like the least is Chinese because when I hear a chinese person talking it just sounds awful to me, the sounds are ugly.

I like both Spanish and Japanese. I like Spanish because it's a language spoken all over the world, so it's  definitely useful in any situation, especially for work purposes. It's also a relatively easy language to learn, in comparison to a lot of other difficult-to-learn languages out there. Additionally, Japanese, to me, is a unique language with an interesting history behind it. While it's a lot of work to learn the language(The Japanese language has three different writing systems) and it's only spoken in Japan, there's just something about Japanese that really captivates me.

I don't really hate any language, but Icelandic is really annoying. "Reykjavik", the capital of Iceland, is difficult enough to pronounce. I remember reading an article about Europe and it was talking about all these towns in Iceland, and I was dumbfounded at how long and complicated the names were.

The language that I really love would be English. I don't mean today's English I mean the old English, the English that Shakespeare used (Okay it's not Old English, it's Early Modern). I just love how poetic it sounds, even the very act of you taking a rude bowel extraction when described using that old English would sound really majestic and grand. I don't know if I answered it correctly but I really adore that form of the English language.

The language that I really love would be English. I don't mean today's English I mean the old English, the English that Shakespeare used (Okay it's not Old English, it's Early Modern). I just love how poetic it sounds, even the very act of you taking a rude bowel extraction when described using that old English would sound really majestic and grand. I don't know if I answered it correctly but I really adore that form of the English language.

I was about to correct your mistake about Old English, but you corrected it yourself. :) Shakespearian English really is amazing! You make me feel bad about myself since I don't read enough of it.

You did! Hehehe, btw, I tried to learn the actual old English when I was younger, it kinda reminded me of Old Norse... kinda!  But yeah, the English Shakespeare used was magnificent.  I wish I could express myself with the same elegance! To have the same level of eloquence...

I enjoy English the most because it is my native tounge. I have always enjoyed learning and speaking Spanish as well. Currently, I am in the process of trying to learn Finnish and am having a very hard time understanding and pronuncing the letters of the Finnish alphabet. I am hoping that if I stick with I will eventually pick it up, but it seems to be a slippery slope for me. I would love to hear any advice from native Finnish speakers!!

I enjoy English the most because it is my native tounge. I have always enjoyed learning and speaking Spanish as well. Currently, I am in the process of trying to learn Finnish and am having a very hard time understanding and pronuncing the letters of the Finnish alphabet. I am hoping that if I stick with I will eventually pick it up, but it seems to be a slippery slope for me. I would love to hear any advice from native Finnish speakers!!

That's good to hear! So many people out there don't particularly like their mother tongues! I don't even know if I like Slovene better than English or is it the other way around. I'm glad you love your native tongue, that's super important!

Oh my!!!!!!  Really???  I tried learning Finnish once, not as hard as it seems, the only problem is spelling it right and speaking it, lol.  Best of luck, learning Finnish isn't so easy and is even harder to find people to practice it with, unless you are living in Finland. Btw, why are you learning it?!

I really like french and they way they pronounce words, its a very seducing language. It has a flow and rhythm  that is fun just to listen. Spanish come a close second. Both languages are quite exotic to me.

As for the language I like the least. I don't think I see any language as something I would dislike. Every language I don't know is always intriguing, and since I have a fondness for different accents, I can safely say that, I like all languages.

I love Esperanto and Ancient Greek. I love them because they are mostly used for academic settings. However, Esperanto's vision is amazing and I would love to see it realized, international non-biased language and understanding.

Languages I like the least? Hmmm. I failed my French class two years ago. I was sick then and did not study well. But since then I have a bitter taste with French.

I like Spanish because its words seem to link together well to my ears. I also like Chinese (Mandarin) too because it sounds sing-songy because of the tones and that makes it fairly pleasant. Those are two foreign languages I like the most. And I want to learn to speak them well.

I don't like Cantonese or German; or I should amend that and say I don't like how they sound. They sound angry, harsh, and displeasing. Some say Japanese is like that too, but I don't think so as much.

I wish I had better perspective on how English sounds. I guess everyone will assume their native tongue sounds either pleasant or neutral. I think of English as sounding neutral, but I have no basis for this.

I love Esperanto and Ancient Greek. I love them because they are mostly used for academic settings. However, Esperanto's vision is amazing and I would love to see it realized, international non-biased language and understanding.

Languages I like the least? Hmmm. I failed my French class two years ago. I was sick then and did not study well. But since then I have a bitter taste with French.

Finally I read someone here who doesn't like french, lol.  You really like Esperanto?  I have a friend who speaks it fluently!  I tried it when i was younger, but never found the motivation to learn it.  Do you speak it fluently?  I also thought this language was a great idea, but I think its use has stalled, don't you think?  I heard more about it when I was a teen, now it seems to be almost forgotten.  A lot sites that were trying to spread the word are gone :(  Really depressing if I think about it.

Most: Swedish, Norwegian, Russian, German, Cantonese, Persian

Least: Chinese, French, Turkish, Thai

OMG!!!!  I really liked Norwegian when I was younger, I still like it and prefer it over the language I'm currently studying!  What a beautiful language!  So beautiful and so easy to learn, sadly is only spoken in Norway, unlike English.  Same with Swedish.  Despite that fact I really wanted to learn it when I was younger, I'd not right now since I hardly have any time to learn the language i need to learn.

I love Chinese, it's almost as if every character has it's own story and writing is like a form of art. Also German, since I already know French and English it's quite easy. Many words resemble French, while the grammar structure is exactly like English. Perfect. I don't have any language I dislike, I think they're all beautiful in their own rite.