Linguaholic

What language do you like most and least?

Trellum

Sign language is always quite beautiful to observe. When I see two hearing impaired people communicating, it's always a delight, but I try not to stare. :angel:

It would be nice if more of us had the option to communicate with signs, it would cut down on the daily cacophony of voices and tongues, one has to endure.

It's hard for me to choose one favorite language, but I'd say that both Spanish and French are extremely beautiful and rich when used correctly. Spanish is my native language, but every time I read a good poem or a good book, I realize just how beautiful it can be. About French, it's pretty much the same thing, except the accent which I sometimes hate and other times love.

My favorite language is German; it is so easy to pronounce, simple to spell words and just sounds do unique and kind of down-to-earth (at least to me :P).

I like French the least by far. Maybe it's just because I was taught badly, but I found it very difficult and confusing: spelling, grammar, syntax, it all seemed very alien to me.

I've always loved Spanish. Everything sounds beautiful when you say it in Spanish!  :laugh: As far as languages I don't like, surprisingly English is in my top two. I don't hate it, but I find it very bland compared to other languages. It is my native language, so maybe I'm too close to it to appreciate it. The other language I detest is German. The pronunciation of the words are very harsh. I've never liked it.

I love my native language English but my favorite foreign language is French. It is even easier to learn than Spanish and it is so beautiful when pronounced properly. The language I hate the most is Chinese as it is hard to both speak and write it.

• 2 weeks later...

English is my answer to both questions. It may be "modern universal" and can create wonderful poetry, prose, and communication, but it has its countless exceptions and weird pronunciations, spellings, and so on.

I think we all all biased towards the language we grew up with. I'm sure most Spanish people think Spanish is the best language, just as the English and Americans think English is. We all have natural biases towards what we are most familiar with. I think that's perfectly normal.

The language i like the most is spanish. I like it because i think it sounds really beautiful. To be honest i really don't like English that much. The language i like the least is probably my own mother tongue. Unfortunately growing up, we were conditioned to think speaking our mother tongue was embarassing.

From what I see, it looks like your mother tongue is Swahili. You should not be embarrassed by it. I think that Swahili is such a beautiful language. English is probably a least favorite of mine too. The only thing is, it's so widely used and known. My favorite language is my own mother tongue of Amharic.

I love my native language English but my favorite foreign language is French. It is even easier to learn than Spanish and it is so beautiful when pronounced properly. The language I hate the most is Chinese as it is hard to both speak and write it.

I agree. When pronounced correctly, french sentences sound so nice. I don't think I'd even notice if they were using foul language because it all just seems so fluid and elegant. I also agree with you about Chinese being a bit complicated and difficult though. They have a word for almost everything and they combine it all to form even more complex words. I already know a good amount of Chinese myself and even I am confused by it sometimes.

I love Old English the most. The way it sounds is beautiful. Unfortunately, there aren't many places where you can learn OE, so it's just a pipe dream. As for the language I dislike the most.... well, I guess that would be Macedonian. It just sounds odd. I never got used to hearing it.

I love the sound of Arabic language and French so they are the language I'd love to learn most plus I think they are both sexy. The language I like least are Chinese, Thai and Japanese. I am not racist as I am Asian too and I don't mean to offend anyone but I don't like the sound of it. Chinese and Thai both sort of sound alike and Japanese language's intonations scares me, I watched Japanese animes and there are times when they speak as if they're angry even if they're not.

I like English the most because it is my native language and the grammar rules are quite simple. I also like French because its such a romantic and exotic language. My least favorite language is German because of the strong "breathy way" the words are pronounced.

To be honest there is not one language that I like the least.they are ALL equal in my eyes.I like how each language has its own creative style of saying things.Every language can also be linked back to latin language so I admire it a lot.

I would love to learn japanese. I love the way it sounds, I love their idioms , and it would be very useful sense I am an avid anime fan.

The language I would hate to have to learn is english. I am a native speaker, and I could see how it would be extremely difficult to learn. The multiple of man is men, not mans, but the multiple of shoe is shoes. American idioms typically have to do with something historic, for example the Macoys. The term "real macoy" would be confusing to a non native speaker, if they don't know the story. I am a native speaker and I tend to trip over my own tongue XD.

I like the Japanese language the most.  Aside from being an anime fan, I really love their vocabulary.  They have words which are addressed to teachers and professionals in the form of honorifics.  At the same time, they also have words which are addressed in a somewhat negative or unfavorable way, such as "kisama", or the person talking to the addressee in a hostile manner. 

As for the language I like the least, it's Arabic.  Maybe it's just me, but I just don't appreciate learning the language at all.  Besides, we have been using English more frequently in Saudi Arabia, where I stayed for 8 years more or less.

I love Japanese language! Like you I am an anime fan too and watching anime without subtitle yet getting the gist of what they're talking is so refreshing. It felt like I have achieved a great deal!

Arabic is also my least favourite, and I am in an Arabic country! So I find myself always lost everyday being surrounded by Arabic speakers. Not that I didn't try to learn it since I did, still do, but it just really won't stick in my head and they say I speak in funny accent when I do.  :sad:

The language that I like the most is Japanese. Some of the words are fun to say and it's cutesy. If you don't smile, even a bit when someone says "Tokidoki", you have no sense of fun. :( Now, when it comes to languages I hate, it's my own: English. We have too many words and rules, it makes it hard to remember them all and understand when you have words that are spelled the same, but are pronounced differently. :/