Linguaholic

Pedro Almodóvar

I'm a big fan of cult films (and LGBT films) and I've heard a lot of great things about the spanish film director Pedro Almódovar, but I don't know where to start with his films--He has made so many, and they all sound really good! My boyfriend has just about every film he has made, but I wasn't sure if I should start watching them starting with his first film, or if there was a fan favorite that people seem to like the best.

I also wanted to watch his films because I thought that they may help my understanding of the spanish language. I took four years of spanish in high school, but it has always been difficult for me to understand what native speakers of the language are saying.

I've heard good things about La Mala Educación, Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios, and Laberinto de Pasiones, but I wanted to know what you guys think.

So, what do you recommend? Is there an order that I should watch them in? Are there any fan favorites? What are your favorites?

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Hi there!  I hope you can still see this!  I'm a fan of Pedro, I love most of his films, but the ones I really think you should watch first are: The skin I live in, all about my mother and talk to her.  I think those 3 will get you all hooked up to his films!  I loved those 3 films, the others are also good, but those 3 are in my opinion the best films of this guy... and of course... the best known!

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure whether it matters what sequence you watch his films in. I haven't seen all of his films but I do like All About My Mother, Volver, Talk To Her and Bad Education.

There are a lot more that I feel I probably should have watched, mind you.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched All About My Mother, Bad Education and Volver.

I cannot decide which one I like the best. Maybe Bad Education, because of my favorite actor Gael García Bernal... Anyway, these three movies are really good :smile:

I heard that Mujeres al Borde de un Ataque de Nervios was really good! My friend watched it in one of her classes and really enjoyed it. I try to watch Spanish films to get to know the language and the culture better, but I really can't seem to get into any Spanish films. I'll check out Almodóvar and see what he has to offer. Everyone seems to be raving about Bad Education, so I'll check that film out, too. Sorry that I don't have any suggestions, but I'll try watching the movies and see how much I like them for myself.