Linguaholic

Internet/Texting Slang

justinp

I've been wondering for a while about spanish language internet slang, and the ways in which spanish speaking people shorten their writing. I only know a few examples

• a10 = adios
  • +o- = mas o menos
  • b7s = besitos
  • mxo = mucho
  • m1ml = mándame un mensaje luego

Does anyone know any others?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I don't know much as I usually don't use text speak or chat speak but I know of:

q = que

pq = por que

d = de

bn = bien

ps = pues

dnd = donde

tqm - te quiero mucho

cel = teléfono celular

uni = universidad

msj = mensaje

pls = por favor (from the English please)

Words that normally use "Qu" are changed into "K" to save a character. An example would be:

kiero = quiero

Sometimes bowels are omitted from words if it's still pretty clear what the word is:

mñna = mañana

Also a lot of the times the more standard English abbreviations like lol, rofl, brb, irl... are used when chatting in Spanish.

• 1 month later...

I've been wondering for a while about spanish language internet slang, and the ways in which spanish speaking people shorten their writing. I only know a few examples

• a10 = adios
  • +o- = mas o menos
  • b7s = besitos
  • mxo = mucho
  • m1ml = mándame un mensaje luego

Does anyone know any others?

Hi there!  This is the first time I see those... and I'm a native spanish speaker coming from one of the most informal Spanish speaking countries ever, hehehe.

For people in my country sometimes isn't about shortening words, but more about making words sound way more informal. Here are some examples that might or might not be shorter than the word or phrase they're intending to replace:

Simon! = Yes!

Nel = No.

No hay Pex = No problem.

Ya ni la chiflas! = Shame on you!

Por q? = Why?

Q? = What?

Tmb = too

Muxo = Much

BB = Baby

Those are the only ones I can think of right now, but there are many more.  I know many, but I don't use them because I feel they're destroying our language and I don't want to be involved in that in any way.

• 4 weeks later...

I completely agree with Trellum's last paragraph. However, since you asked for them, there are some more not listed here:

Grax = Gracias (Thanks)

x = por (this word has many meanings in english. One of them is "by", hence the "x" for multiplication)

xq = Por qué? (Why?)

ta = Te amo (I love you)

dcs = dices (you say)

toy = estoy (I am) (this one is very old, used in verbal communication as well)

n = en (in)

When combined, they usually make up horrible sentences, such as "toy n la uni, xq?" which would translate into "I am at the university, why?"

• 1 month later...

I don't know much as I usually don't use text speak or chat speak but I know of:

q = que

pq = por que

d = de

bn = bien

ps = pues

dnd = donde

tqm - te quiero mucho

cel = teléfono celular

uni = universidad

msj = mensaje

pls = por favor (from the English please)

Words that normally use "Qu" are changed into "K" to save a character. An example would be:

kiero = quiero

Sometimes bowels are omitted from words if it's still pretty clear what the word is:

mñna = mañana

Also a lot of the times the more standard English abbreviations like lol, rofl, brb, irl... are used when chatting in Spanish.

yeah, living in Nicaragua, this would be my list also.  I also see TKM ( te quiero mucho).

It bothers me a bit when they do a bunch in a row that are changed because it is hard enough for me to understand their otherwise bad spelling, but then when you turn every q into a k...  makes it really hard to learn.

• 2 months later...

I'm not the kind to use shorteners but I have found some back in the day of short sms. I hope I don't repeat some of the already shared:

ke -> que = what/that

xfa -> Por fa -- por favor = please

5mentarios -> Sin Comentarios = No comment

salu2 --> saludos = greetings / usually used like an non formal kind regards way to end a post)

wpa = wapa -- guapa = good looking girl

Also, I found this: http://www.lonuncavisto.com/moviles/diccionario/abreviaturas/0

There are many I have never ever used but it might still be clever to keep around, just in case.

• 2 months later...

I feel very sad now, and I thought I was doing so well with my Spanish learning as of lately! The only shortening I know in Spanish is turning a laugh from 'ha ha ha' to 'je je je' and that's not even shortening it at all! I think you can probably also turn q into que or saludar into salu2 or something..but I'm not  really that sure if you can or not.

• 3 months later...

I feel very sad now, and I thought I was doing so well with my Spanish learning as of lately! The only shortening I know in Spanish is turning a laugh from 'ha ha ha' to 'je je je' and that's not even shortening it at all! I think you can probably also turn q into que or saludar into salu2 or something..but I'm not  really that sure if you can or not.

Don't feel bad about it.  People don't usually communicate in that way in other contexts (and if they do... they are in the wrong). Just keep learning and you will be ok :)  Keep focusing on your Spanish, you can get as colloquial as you want later.  Remember this kind of language is only used in text messages, not in every day writing and communication. Is not really important.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1 October 2015 at 3:19 PM, kurdapia said:

I wonder why they spell hehehe differently when they want to mean laughing. Is there an explanation to the jejeje?

The j sounds like an h in Spanish, so they write it with a j. 

Jajaja is like hahaha in English, more of an ordinary laugh.

Jejeje is more of a giggling laugh like hehehe. Jijiji can be the same although I've not seen that used as often personally. 

It can also be ggggg, as the G is pronounced as j. This is mostly used amongst youngsters. As well as using a 2 at the end of a verb instead of "do/s". E.g: *lloran2*

An x as "por". Or xq as "porque".

"Khe" as "Que".

Similar to the first one: 100talo or 100timientos. Basically anything that uses a number instead of spelling out the sound. 

• 1 month later...

Mmm I don't use that kind of slang anymore but let me recall my obnoxious teenager ages:

nitas= necesitas.

pera= espera.

ta bien= está bien.

k/q va= qué va.

l=el.

q pdo= que pedo.

Anyway, writing like this is something that I personally would not suggest. Even our parents didn't like it.

• 2 months later...

Whaat? I'm a native spanish speaker and I haven't used or seen that internet slang on my life! lol. 

Some people use "q" or "k" as a short version of que.

Xq: Por qué? 

murien12: muriéndose.

cuidat: cuídate. 

And lately they are using the letter "x" in order to generalize all genders while talking about people, not only man or not only woman, for example: Estamos muy emocionadxs de estar aquí. Lxs chicxs están jugando en el patio.