A: "Hey Seth, what are you doing?"

B: "I'm reading a book. What are you doing?"

A: "I'm bored to death. Let's do something."

B: "Sure. Come over and we can play some games."

Other Common Sentences

"I'm so bored, I could die."

"I'm dying of boredom."

• 3 weeks later...

English can get a bit overly dramatic, can't it? It's like how we say, ¨I'm starving!¨ just because we are hungry. I wonder if many or most languages exaggerate like this, or if this is more of an English thing? Does anyone know?

I like expressions like this one. I agree that is too dramatic! However, I guess that this is the beauty of language. One can be dramatic in expressing his or her feelings yet still be understood by other people.  :grin:

How about "foot in your mouth" - When you talk to the neighbors, make sure you don’t stick your foot in your mouth.

(Not that he is flexible)

Change of heart - A week later when I met him, he had a change of heart, he let me drive his car.

(He definitely did not have a heart transplant, along with an attitude adjustment)

• 3 weeks later...

I think such phrases exaggerating things just proves the point that you are very, very, bored. I think it may have gotten some inspiration with the phrase "stoned to death" during the ancient times, so modern times incorporated it in their language.

While yes, these sort of phrases are overly dramatic and using words improperly, it's part of what makes the English Language interesting! Imagine how boring conversations would get if we didn't exaggerate once in awhile.

I use these all the time when talking with friends and think they're fine to use in informal settings.

Just because these crossed my mind while reading this over...

"I almost died of fright when she walked in."

"Getting this tattoo is killing me."

"You'll catch your death of cold if you don't wear a hat."

"After such an exhausting day, I'm sure to sleep like the dead tonight."

And, for my finale...

"She is just drop dead gorgeous."

English can get a bit overly dramatic, can't it? It's like how we say, ¨I'm starving!¨ just because we are hungry. I wonder if many or most languages exaggerate like this, or if this is more of an English thing? Does anyone know?

I agree. The English language does tend to be a little bit expressive but I think that's a good thing, and also I think hyperboles exist in other languages as well. We have a similar one in our own language that translates to dying of starvation pertaining to when we are very hungry. I actually find it very whimsical and adorable whenever someone uses it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for providing these examples of sentences that involve being bored. I have never understood what being bored is all about because there is always something to do. I think I should add another sentence to your collection. “He was so bored because he did not want to do anything” forgive me but I think that being bored is a choice we make. I am bored so I am going to bed and the list continues.

• 2 weeks later...

The english language can be a bit too intense sometimes, lol. But I'm guilty of saying things like: ''I feel like dying, I haven't slept for more than 6 hours during the last 2 nights''.  Yup, I find myself saying that kind of things pretty often!  My favorite one is: ''I'm half dead right now, I've been in front the PC writing for so long!''.  I'm a dramatic girlie, I guess.

Just because these crossed my mind while reading this over...

"I almost died of fright when she walked in."

"Getting this tattoo is killing me."

"You'll catch your death of cold if you don't wear a hat."

"After such an exhausting day, I'm sure to sleep like the dead tonight."

And, for my finale...

"She is just drop dead gorgeous."

Hahaha, loved the finale!  I'm familiar with most of those phrases, but the third one caught me by surprise. I had never heard that one before, thank you, I'll have to add it to my overly melodramatic english idiom repertory  :shy:

• 2 weeks later...

It's all right to be overacting once in a while.  Actually, there are situations when the speaker conveys his message but has to deliver sometimes overacting lines to get attention or describe the object with exaggeration.  However, when the choice of sentences borders on being melodramatic or, in extreme situations, paranoid, the speaker must have a major problem going on within him.

It's true, some of these expressions might be over the top and over dramatic, but I guess that's just how the English language goes. Aside from "Bored to death," I also like the expression that goes like "I haven't seen you in ages." You usually say it when you haven't been around a person for a while.

I know of many languages that use this and they are very similar. I am bored to death, I am so hungry I could eat a horse, I could name a few and in every language that I am aware of, they do use drammatic tones to express a situation.

Another phrase that is similar to "bored to death" is "someone kill me", used typically in a sarcastic and moody tone. The first time I heard it, I was a bit startled. Why on Earth would anyone make that kind of request? Of course, I eventually learned that it was just a figure of speech, but it still makes me uncomfortable every now and then.