Linguaholic

Sila vs Sina

calebmelvern

This is something that a lot of people get confused about. I've noticed that some don't even use the word sina at all. So to clarify things, here's a simple explanation.

Sila is used as a pronoun (pronoun). It shouldn't be followed by a noun.

Sina is a pointer/article (pantukoy). It is followed be a group of nouns.

So it is incorrect to say:

Sila Martin at Jane ay pupunta sa simbahan mamayang hapon.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I remember this being a lesson in grade school! I'll admit that I've used sila wrongly several times before. Sina just doesn't stick as well. I've noticed that Filipino grammar lessons tend to stick less compared to English lessons. Has anyone noticed this too? I wonder why that is...  :confused:

The word sila has been used more frequently than sina, but it looks like that most users have already forgotten the language basics.  I am currently enrolled in a review class, and our instructor always stresses that we must never forget our basics, both in English as well as Filipino.  Given the heavy emphasis on the English language, I guess it can't be helped why we sometimes neglect our native language.

I remember this being a lesson in grade school! I'll admit that I've used sila wrongly several times before. Sina just doesn't stick as well. I've noticed that Filipino grammar lessons tend to stick less compared to English lessons. Has anyone noticed this too? I wonder why that is...  :confused:

Not for me. I've always enjoyed Filipino classes more than English classes. But it's no surprise that Filipino language lessons "doesn't stick" because so many Filipinos seem to prioritize learning English. The media has a lot to do about it as well. Have you noticed journalists reporting in Taglish? That's just plain horrible.

• 2 months later...

This is something that a lot of people get confused about. I've noticed that some don't even use the word sina at all. So to clarify things, here's a simple explanation.

Sila is used as a pronoun (pronoun). It shouldn't be followed by a noun.

Sina is a pointer/article (pantukoy). It is followed be a group of nouns.

So it is incorrect to say:

Sila Martin at Jane ay pupunta sa simbahan mamayang hapon.

Thank you for sharing this Caleb.  I guess I was sleeping when my grade school teacher taught about this.  :grin:  Because I only learn about this now.  So I guess this example is correct then:

Sina Martin at Jane ay pupunta sa simbahan.  Pupunta sila doon mamayang hapon.  :smile: