Linguaholic

first sentences that children learn in primary schools in your language

jolantaantonina

Hello linguaholics!

I'm not sure if I start new topic in right forum... but let me explain my request.

For my artistic project I'm looking for first sentences that children learn in primary schools from elementary-book in different languages in different countries. For example Polish children usually learn first sentence: "Ala ma kota" - "Ala has a cat", in Georgian: "Ai ia - აი ია" (voila, this is a violet), in Spanish: " Mi mamá me mima" (My mom spoils me).

I hope you understand well what I exactly mean.

Please send me phrases in original language and also in English.

Every phrase in every language will be very helpful for me!

I believe the first sentence that English children here learn is "I am a boy" or "I am a girl". The first phrase in Spanish is usually "buenos dias"

I think we were taught about basic letters first before words. I remember memorizing the vowels and consonants when I was in pre-school. Then I think we were taught how to write our name first and foremost. So the first words that we learn are our names.

I'm from the Philippines, and our national language is Filipino. The first sentences taught to children in primary schools are the following:

1. Ako ay si (name). [in English: My name is _____.]

2. Ako ay nakatira sa _____ [in English: I live at _______.]

3. Ako ay ___ taong gulang. [in English: I am ___ years old.]

These three sentences are the first to be taught because they are introductory sentences. I also think that these sentences are important because it teaches students to introduce themselves first in certain situations.

Most common of the first sentences include the formal way to wish people and thank people. And how to introduce yourself. I think is something that happens when you even learn a new language as a second language in school. Our teacher often starts with training to use the common 'Good Morning' or "how are you' or 'My name is ....'

Wow, I can't remember mine. I think it was "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog"? Oh wait that's in typing class. Oh yeah I got it, I remember it was "My name is (followed by your name)" and then we would state the name of our parents and siblings.

Wow, I can't remember mine. I think it was "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog"? Oh wait that's in typing class. Oh yeah I got it, I remember it was "My name is (followed by your name)" and then we would state the name of our parents and siblings.

LOL If I was in daycare and my teacher just let us say that sentence (the quick brown fox one) I would probably never be the same as today. But that would be cool though.

LOL If I was in daycare and my teacher just let us say that sentence (the quick brown fox one) I would probably never be the same as today. But that would be cool though.

Was it quite a mouthful for you? LOL But yeah, just imagine if teachers taught kids more complex sentences when they we're younger and not start out with basic ones.

According to my mom the first word was ''mamá'' and ''papá''.  Which means mom and dad, my very first one was mom.  I  think the first phrases we are learn at school is to make and answer simple questions like: how are you?, what's your name? where do you live?, etc.  We generally learn that and use it a lot to socialize with others.

When I was in primary school the languages we learnt was french and instead of full sentences or phrases we just learnt words. Most schools here start with hello and goodbye, my names is ..., numbers up to ten and colours. It wasn't until I went to secondary school that we started to learn proper words or phrases.

My native language is kikuyu, the first thing kids learn in school is to say their name. “ ritwa riakwa ni muthoni” . This is translated to my name is muthoni. The i has this ~ sign instead of the dot at the top. I hope that this makes sense.

Where I come from (Slovenia), children first attend school after having learned to form basic sentences. They can all state their names and say where they live before even entering school for the first time... I remember me and the whole class repeating "perica reže raci rep" ("the washer is cutting the duck's tail") in school because it's a great exercise to learn r's and it's also a palindrome and therefore sticks in children's ears.

I'm not even sure what the first sentence we learned in school was. I'm 29 years old so that's been a while ago for me. I don't have kids so I couldn't tell you about it. I'm sure it was something simple regarding a cat or dog, just to get us started. I have a vague memory of it but can't quite remember the whole sentence. I think children today are probably more advanced than we were at that time so they can probably learn a little more complex stuff quicker today.

My school taught us English and CHinese at a very young age so I don't exactly remember anymore which phrases were first taught because as far as I can remember I was already being taught words from both languages. From what I do remember, however, I think the first words we were taught were the basics like saying our names, various objects, as well as labels for people like teacher, father and mother, etc.

• 1 year later...
On 8/17/2014 at 11:56 AM, pcgamer said:

The first sentence we learn here is Pitaji which stands for dad and Mataji which stands for mother.

hi friend. these are words, what is the first sentence?

On 9/6/2014 at 2:21 PM, beccagreen said:

Are you English? I`ve heard the the first sentence in English schools is "I can Read and Write", isn`t it?

That`s really fantastic topic. I`m Iranian and the first sentence in our country is: "بابا آب داد" means: " Father takes water" and "بابا نان داد" means: "Father takes Bread"!

I wanna know first sentence in English and Japanese schools.