Linguaholic

How much are you paying now?

Daimashin

I haven't been in any formal classes before nor am I planning to but as far as I know enrolling in such classes can be really expensive. I would suggest just learn  the basics on your own, use the internet. There are a lot of free sources out there.

I am currently taking a Chinese class in a Chinese school. It's around 360 dollars per year, so it's not too bad. There are classes every Saturday for about 2 hours. The teachers are nice and the students are around the same age as me, so I fit in the environment pretty well.

I've just got the cost of Rosetta Stone right now.  I've tried looking for Korean classes, but I don't think the language is quite popular enough.  I haven't seen classes offered in any of the local colleges, and google searches haven't yielded anything either.  Once I get some more spending money I may try Craigslist for a tutor.  In the meantime, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what the going rate seems to be.

I took a small course some years ago, I was reviewing my English and was also trying to learn how to teach the language.  It cost me around $100 a month.  I regret taking it, btw, it confused me even more, lol.  I didn't learn that much and I never saw my diploma, they ran off. It turned out to be one of those fake schools.

I took a small course some years ago, I was reviewing my English and was also trying to learn how to teach the language.  It cost me around $100 a month.  I regret taking it, btw, it confused me even more, lol.  I didn't learn that much and I never saw my diploma, they ran off. It turned out to be one of those fake schools.

That's really unfortunate, Trellum.  Looking back on it now, were there signs that it wasn't a legitimate program?  I'd love to know what to watch out for.

The only language course I have done in the past was in high school, so there was just one over all fee. The fees today can be quite extra ordinary so I have chosen to use all the free sites available, along with friends and family help.

• 2 weeks later...

That's really unfortunate, Trellum.  Looking back on it now, were there signs that it wasn't a legitimate program?  I'd love to know what to watch out for.

Well, we were supposed to have a very important exposition, if done correctly we'd pass. It all started to get weird when the person supposed to do the examination didn't show up and kept postponing it. Then once she finally showed up the "school" was moved to a different building.

Whoa! You too? I had the similar ordeal once but it wasn't really a school it's more of training center of sorts. Maybe we both got scammed by the same guys?

Sorry to hear that you got scammed. How many months did you take that course? So after that, what did you do to continue learning English? You speak so fluent now.

I'm not currently paying for language classes, but in the past I have paid $10 for a lesson. (About 1 hour.) I'm not planning to again, though. I like self-study and language exchange. Plus I like making friends or taking free lessons from an employer.

When I took some French lessons I paid $15 per lesson. Each lesson consisted approximately of a one hour session. The teacher was good and experienced, although she didn't have any formal credentials. Apparently she charges up to $20 to some of her students.

Although I am no longer paying for lessons on learning the Visayan language, I was paying 200 pesos per hour. Negros Oriental has places to go to learn Visayan but you need to search for them and they are not cheap.

Paying 200 pesos per hour is actually a lot when you consider the amount of hours that you need to spend if you are going to learn any language well. If you are just getting an introduction to it then maybe it is OK, but how much can you really learn in an introduction class. Not much I think.

The reason I feel that the 200 or more per hour was a lot is that you need to consider the cost of living in the Philippines along with the actual amount of money the average person makes. Added to this is the fact that you are probably a foreigner who is residing here or visiting and then the exchange rates. In the end it does amount to a lot of money spent to attend these classes.

I finally started to just do internet surfing and bookmarking the websites I found, only most of the sites are actually Tagalog!

I prefer to attend a class or have lessons taught to me because I feel that I learn better in these situations but I stopped as I can't justify paying so much in the long term.

As of now I have met someone who wants to teach Visayan to people willing to learn it and we are working together make it easier for foreigners to learn this language and I can learn it better myself!

There are many free resources that you can find online that are very professional and effective. I personally don't like the idea of having to go to a class or enroll in anything, I'd much rather learn at my own leisure, so  I'm not paying a dime.

My University offers language courses that cost 400 EUR for those enrolled and 650 for the outsiders and last 1 semester. I've been hearing they were really good, work-intensive and so on, but there's about 5 people in each of those, which honestly does not surprise me given the price! Why on Earth would anyone be prepared to spend this much on a language course?!

Honestly, free lessons found on the internet seem like a much better option.

I'm not taking any online classes that cost money but I do have my former teacher of Spanish come and give me lessons at my home. I find them pretty productive and the rate is about $10 per hour. Not a lot of money for a very useful thing. I know tutors that charge a lot more than that so I'm pretty happy with the deal I'm getting.

There was a time I was learning French for free. A sponsor had set up the program to benefit the youth in our region. They had brought in a very good teacher; therefore I had started to understand the language. The program came to an end before I could master the language. There was a time when I paid monthly to learn the same language in a private school.

The 3 month language course I last took was free of charge. However, when I was training to test for sign language in the states I paid about a 100.00 a setting to work with a tutor to help me. I have spent countless 100s of dollars on language books over the years. I think it is essential to invest in your language learning. However, this being said, the best teacher is working with native speakers and letting the language become natural. A person only needs to set the foundation with classes and books and then allow themselves to build on what they've learned with practical experience. That being said, we have friends (our language instructors) who took 3 month classes once a year to ensure that their language was continuing to improve and they weren't stuck in a rut of language errors. We have all heard language users who have continued to mis-pronounce words despite the fact that they have lived in a country a long time. This is one of my personal fears and so your post has caused me to reconsider if I shouldn't take up another class to brush up on my skill in a more disciplined environment. The French Alliance here charges about 60.00 for a 3-month course.

• 2 months later...

I learned Latin for free at my high school, but around my city there were many people who offered foreign language lessons. Their prices were around $10.00/hour, more or less. It's a bit pricey, in my opinion.

I personally wouldn't pay at all. There are adult language courses for English as a second language for free in the United States. A few places I have seen them in my town are in the community center, main library, and both colleges. If there were fees I am sure they are subsidized, and would be reduced or free with the government's help.