Linguaholic

By the time of day.

Hemikune

Does anyone have any ideas, or opinions, regarding the best time of day for one to either teach,or learn, a foreign languge?

The question comes to me because, thinking back to my in-classroom teaching experience, it always seemed that the classes I had scheduled for morning lessons usually had better performance than those with afternoon, or early evening lessons.

Has anyone else come to similar conclusions?  :nerd:

I think morning is the best time, as you said. Specially if the students had a good breakfast, they seem to learn better this way.  In the morning most people feel full or energy and on their prime time to do everything they got to do, this is why I always workout in the morning, because that's when I am full of energy.

Studying in the evening was something I did for a while because I had to.  Didn't workout so well, I wasn't as inspired as I usually was in the morning.

I think it is better to learn during morning classes. The mid is still fresh and still active. At the end of the day usually we are already tired out. Unlike in the morning when we are still energized and can retain more information.

It really depends on the individual. I know people that can study and work best during the mornings. But I also know people that wake up at 2PM. I'm afraid there is not a simple solution to the question. If you are looking to teach a class and are able to adjust the time of your lesson, ask the students about it! They will give you the best possible answer. If you were asking for yourself, just try out studying at different times of day and figure out which one you like most.

I'm guessing either morning or night. If I we're to learn a new language I would pick morning classes since it's the freshest you'll ever be the whole day and you're still full of energy which is probably best for learning. I would avoid the noon time as much as possible that time of the day is the laziest.

I think the time of day does matter for learning anything at all. In the morning you are more alert and ready to take on anything but as the day goes on and you get weary so does your ability to grasp anything. Here on the island, we are even getting rid of the school shift system because it has been proven that apart from the shorter school hours in the afternoon, afternoon shift students also lack the sharpness that the morning shift students do have.

Supposedly the human brain is most primed in the morning. Personally, I almost always studied things in the late morning or early afternoon. I've been a night-owl my entire life, so early morning never worked for me.

Morning makes sense generally, while late night studying is generally a bad idea. For learning, you want a fresh mind. So studying within a few hours of waking would be more ideal than studying while sleepy or after a long day. But ultimately, you could test out different times and record learning results. Then you'll have your personalized answer.

Morning is probably the best since that's the time where the brain is really active and ready to take in new information. Also it's the time where everybody is fresh and still full of energy, I would say avoid the afternoon as much as possible.

Well morning seems to be a good time to learn about anything. But if you have an inspiration or something that's motivating you to learn the language, I think anytime is good to learn it, as long as you have the urge, unless you have something else more important to do.

I think morning and after lunch or recess would be the ideal time to learn or teach a foreign language, and I think it's not ideal to teach it very early, since some people may still be groggy around that time. I think that the best time would be after recess or lunch when the students have already eaten because they are more alert because they just ate.

I prefer mornings as well and I do think that is the best time to learn because your mind is much fresher and less cluttered at that time of day. It's still possible to learn in the later hours but I think that mornings make for the best learning times because you are more alert during the day.