Linguaholic

Most Important Thing

GenAgo

If you wanted to teach a student German you would first start off with the alphabet. Then what would the next 3 things you would teach? That you consider "extremely important to know." I'm asking this because I need to know what to learn after the alphabet, so that I know "Ok these next three things will help me get my German foundation down."

• 1 month later...

When learning a new language learning the alphabet has never been my first step.  I learnt english by just listening and repeating; using it as much as possible.  So if it was me teaching my kids the first thing I'd do is introduce them to the spoken language and make them feel eager to learn it!  I'd then make some materials for them, teach them a few useful phrases, the basic verbs and words, after that I'd teach them some new vocabulary.

Once all that is done I'll make them use the language as much as possible! Because there is no way you can master a language unless you practice it.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't bother with the alphabet, either. You don't often have to spell out anything verbally in life, I think, so I don't consider it high priority unless the alphabet is completely different from the alphabet you're accustomed to. I would say learning the personal pronouns and basic verb conjugation would be good. Maybe take a while learning how to use prepositions, too?

• 4 weeks later...

To  listen to the language spoken, to get the natural flow of the language.

I tend to listen to children's program, nursery rhymes and songs.

The way we teach children about our own language is the basic way of learning, so I tend to go that route, learn nursery rhymes and songs, children's songs and start from basic language in kindergarten and 1st class.

• 10 months later...

I must admit that I wasn't a believer in the ''active listening'' method, since I thought that only worked well for children (we all learned our mother language that way), but as I've progressed wit my dutch course, @Kaffi  I am now a firm believer that active listening does work. The more you read and repeat sentences right after listening to the recording of a native speaker the better!  I'm still not very happy with this course I am using, but I have to admit it's not as bad as I thought t would be :)  I do remember a lot phrases now!  I only need to learn more new words, listen to more dutch in different contexts and I will be all set!