Linguaholic

Have you ever fallen in love with someone who speaks a foreign language?

raytalks

A lovely topic. I was in love with a Hungarian girl and i am from Serbia. Although we are neighbouring countries we do not have too much in common. Nevertheless, we met on Malta and it just happened. Strange fact is that i found out they are not very good in English and i think i found a reason for that. Of course it is not good to generalize but i met quite a few Hungarians while working and living on that small island. The thing i found the most intriguing and interesting was the fact they had most of their movies and cartoons were dubbed unlike in my country where we had a lot of original content. Not so much for cartoons but i do not remember watching a movie dubbed in Serbian. It is even a funny thought for me. So, we had some troubles conversing but we found our ways and it was i nice experience while it lasted.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I have been in love with a few men who come from different countries than mine. What usually attracts me towards people who are not sharing my language and my culture, is actually the very same fact that since they are not from around here, they have to be different in a way. Language has always been something that has attracted me, especially English language that is my second language.

A couple of years back, in 2012 I fell in love with a British boy. It turned out he was indeed my soul mate if you believe in the existence of such. We talked about the Universe, the creation of life, our inner emotions, etc. He was my true and only. We split due to distance and lack of money for travel.

Then, I fell for a French guy, who used to bring me flowers in pots every morning and put them in front of my bedroom door. He was such a romantic. He talked in French to me, and even though i didn't understand a word, I enjoyed listening to him making utterances. It was music for my ears. I miss him dearly.

When someone speaks a foreign language, it means he's from a different culture. This may be a challenge to overcome - or a huge bonus. For me, it's the latter. Because my partner and I grew up in different cultures, speaking different languages, we never lack subjects to talk about. There is an endless well of things and words you don't know about that other country, and about your partner's life in it before they met you. We both keep learning new things as years go by, and I'm loving it so much.

When someone speaks a foreign language, it means he's from a different culture. This may be a challenge to overcome - or a huge bonus. For me, it's the latter. Because my partner and I grew up in different cultures, speaking different languages, we never lack subjects to talk about. There is an endless well of things and words you don't know about that other country, and about your partner's life in it before they met you. We both keep learning new things as years go by, and I'm loving it so much.

That's fantastic, Anna; I like it! I always wonder why some people from different backgrounds struggle to make their relationships work it. I mean, I know some people cite there being too many cultural differences. But I view it as you do, it makes for very interesting discussions and I believe that the human race, regardless of where we all originate, will always have more in common than not. 

That's fantastic, Anna; I like it! I always wonder why some people from different backgrounds struggle to make their relationships work it. I mean, I know some people cite there being too many cultural differences. But I view it as you do, it makes for very interesting discussions and I believe that the human race, regardless of where we all originate, will always have more in common than not. 

I wish there were more people who think like you, lushlala. It's sad that there's so much hate and so little tolerance in this world. And you are right - we are all people, we all have a lot in common, wherever we come from. It's such a pity we often choose to blame each other for our differences and condemn anyone who's not like us :( I think that for as long as people don't hurt other people or animals, there's no reason whatsoever to meddle with how they live, what they do, how they dress etc. I wish so much that we could all just live and let live..

I wish there were more people who think like you, lushlala. It's sad that there's so much hate and so little tolerance in this world. And you are right - we are all people, we all have a lot in common, wherever we come from. It's such a pity we often choose to blame each other for our differences and condemn anyone who's not like us :( I think that for as long as people don't hurt other people or animals, there's no reason whatsoever to meddle with how they live, what they do, how they dress etc. I wish so much that we could all just live and let live..

@anna3101 you took the words right out of my mouth! It's amazing just how much your thought processes mirror mine! It gives me hope for humanity and the human race at large. I love people and like to see them all get along. But Alas! some people are just not happy unless there's discord among the races. It's a shame, but as long as there are others out there who think like us, there's hope yet :)

Holidays are coming, let's hope people will be kinder at least for a while... and in the meantime, I'm looking forward to more romantic stories about people falling in love despite language and cultural barriers :)

On 26 August 2014 11:04:46, raytalks said:

You find a person, a he or a she, and you are really attracted him/her. The only problem is that he/she speaks a foreign language. I won't specify a language, because it has to be a language that you don't speak. If there is a chance for a relationship, will you pursue it? Will you gladly learn a foreign language for your partner? Do you think you can communicate well, and have a good relationship?

I've always dreamed of falling in love with a Spanish speaker. This was partly due to the lovely lady that taught me Spanish in high school. But all is not lost. It just hasn't happened as yet.

On 17 November 2015 12:51:44, sillylucy said:

I would get into a shop and buy a language book right away! I think that love has no boundaries and I know tons of couples who have fallen in love this way. They just felt instantly connected and they got married too!

That's very funny. Buying a language in order to meet love.... If that were possible... Only if...

On 14 November 2015 01:23:24, anna3101 said:

I believe it is the cultural difference that will make the difference in my marriage. We would always be learning something new from each other and the spark would not go out. Our children will be born until a melting pot of cultures therefore.

• 2 weeks later...

I've fallen in love - now three times - first time he spoke a little English but we were children so it wasn't as significant. The second time I learnt his language - we raised a child together so did something right - third time - we spoke a mix of languages which we both knew - we are still trying to make it work :) It's hard and it's tough but love is worth it. Love has no barriers. 

Yup. I was on holiday in Spain in 2010 or so and there were three beautiful Russian girls in room next to ours (we basically shared the balcony) and we started talking, but only one knew English (she spent like a year in London or something) and me and this one girl sorta fell for each other even though she hasn't spoken a word of English to me. It's one of those vacation romances where everything is great. Sex was really good and I can't figure out was it because we could only communicate with our bodies or something else. 

On 8/27/2014, 12:04:46, raytalks said:

You find a person, a he or a she, and you are really attracted him/her. The only problem is that he/she speaks a foreign language. I won't specify a language, because it has to be a language that you don't speak. If there is a chance for a relationship, will you pursue it? Will you gladly learn a foreign language for your partner? Do you think you can communicate well, and have a good relationship?

I am in love with someone who speaks Mandarin Chinese as their first language. Her English is not bad. It's getting better, but it was a struggle at first. Aside from the obvious language barrier, the cultural barrier is the thing that causes most of the problems. I live in her country right now, and I do my best to try to understand why certain things are done and just go with it, but sometimes it is extremely difficult. But it is a challenge that I have chosen!