Linguaholic

Tagalog words I thought that did not exist

elaineeramos

I am guilty of using loan words when speaking in Tagalog. I do not bother checking the dictionary if there is a Tagalog equivalent to the word I am going to use. I just use loan words because everybody else can still understand what I am trying to convey.

Anyway, I found a list of words that are added to the Tagalog dictionary. Here are some of the words:

- pantablay

This translates to charger.

- sulatroniko

This translates to e-mail.

- pook-sapot

This translates to website.

Do you know any new Tagalog words?

I never even knew that those words existed. I don't really know any new Tagalog words, but "pook-sapot" sounds ridiculous. It's like they literally translated it and it did not turn out nice at all, similar to Google Translate doing very literal translations. Anyway, here's a link that can add to your list of unheard of Tagalog words: www.filipiknow.net/rare-tagalog-words/

These Tagalog words are quite bizarre; nevertheless they exist in our dictionary.  However, people would prefer speaking mikropono to miktinig as the former is understood to be a microphone.  Pook-sapot, sulatroniko, and yakis are also new to me as well, while pang-ulong hatinig or headset seems reasonable.  The physics and math terms (e.g. bilnuran, dagibalniing liboy, danumsigwasan) have yet to be integrated into the curriculum as they have yet to be formally used.

• 2 weeks later...

Pook-sapot? I think that this translation is a bit too literal! It's weird.

Well, I am glad that I, at least, got to know that these words existed. I think that I will continue using the English counterparts though. I am already used to them.

• 2 weeks later...

I never even knew that those words existed. I don't really know any new Tagalog words, but "pook-sapot" sounds ridiculous. It's like they literally translated it and it did not turn out nice at all, similar to Google Translate doing very literal translations. Anyway, here's a link that can add to your list of unheard of Tagalog words: www.filipiknow.net/rare-tagalog-words/

That is the link where I found the Tagalog words.

I am amused that someone is coming up with Tagalog words for new ideas or technologies to keep up with the current times. But, I have to agree that pook-sapot sounds ridiculous. Even some of the other words are a little bit weird. I do not know if I am just used to hearing the words in English. But, I think I will still be using the English counterpart.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am guilty of using loan words when speaking in Tagalog. I do not bother checking the dictionary if there is a Tagalog equivalent to the word I am going to use. I just use loan words because everybody else can still understand what I am trying to convey.

Anyway, I found a list of words that are added to the Tagalog dictionary. Here are some of the words:

- pantablay

- sulatroniko

- pook-sapot

I'm sure I'll just laugh at myself if I use the word "sulatroniko" instead of simply saying email in daily conversations.  :laugh:

This reminds me just the other day when I was helping my daughter with her Economics subject (taught in Tagalog "Ekonomiks").  I've encountered a few interesting new words as well.  Here's a couple of phrases for example:

1. "Kurba ng Pantay Layon" - Indifference Curve

2. "Tanto ng Paghahalili" - Rate of Substitution

I'm an Economics major in college and still I find it very hard to guide my daughter while studying  Economics in Tagalog. It's like studying Economics and Filipino at the same time.  I had to Google a lot of terms so I can better understand the words.  :sweating:

• 9 months later...

Is it necessary? I find some of the terms quite long and hard to remember. I think this will make it hard to speak in Tagalog. Why not use them as they are ? Pook sapot is trying too hard come on give it a break. I do not use the term website anymore I just say site to make it brief. I am laughing out loud now imagining myself asking someone for their pook sapot I can only imagine the reaction of people who will hear me say that.

• 4 weeks later...

- pantablay

- sulatroniko

- pook-sapot

Pardon me for saying this but some wise guys try to invent words and pass it off as traditional when in fact they are not. Those terms may be in the dictionary but who is the authority on dictionary?

You will be mocked if you are going to use those invented terms. Do you know pook-sapot? Pook is place or site and sapot is spider's web. So technically that is correct but I assure you that pook-sapot is not a legit term.

Pardon me for saying this but some wise guys try to invent words and pass it off as traditional when in fact they are not. Those terms may be in the dictionary but who is the authority on dictionary?

You will be mocked if you are going to use those invented terms. Do you know pook-sapot? Pook is place or site and sapot is spider's web. So technically that is correct but I assure you that pook-sapot is not a legit term.

I agree why would you create some new terms especially for the tech related ones. It is pretty obvious that these were not in existence hundred years back so why all of a sudden they want to coin them? This is too much. sulatroniko sounds ridiculous.