Linguaholic

Hello, Hola, Ni hao, Kumusta, Dia Huit, Salve!

Traveler

Hi there. I'm a native English speaker from the U.S. As my name says, I am a traveler. I've been to eight countries, mostly in Asia. I taught English in China for a year and developed a ¨base¨ in Mandarin. I think living there helped a lot. My Chinese is awful, but I lost my fear of trying to learn. I even discovered some pleasant things, like how easy the pronouns in Mandarin are. I plan to return sometime in the future, to teach again, and to improve my Chinese.

My other linguistic interest is Spanish. Being from the U.S. it is a no-brainer, but I do have an actual interest in it besides its utility. I think both of these languages sound pleasant, Mandarin for its sing-songy tones and Spanish for how well it sounds like the words of it flow together harmonically. Some languages sound ¨bad¨ to me, but I'm not trying to judge. For all I know, English sounds horrible to lots of people around the world.

Other than those, I once learned a few words and phrases in Irish and Latin. I never continued with those despite my interest because there wouldn't be many ways to use them.

I'm not bilingual, but one of my dreams in life is to be. Hopefully I'll master Spanish and Mandarin, but I don't have much confidence in becoming truly fluent in Mandarin, though I have no doubt I can increase my skill level.

I'm sure the conversations here will be great. I look forward to learning and to offering any help I am able to.

• 2 weeks later...

Great Traveler! I'm also a native English speaker who has a definite interest in Spanish. Over the years, I've become fluent, so I'm excited to share my knowledge with you!

I wouldn't mind also learning a few things in Mandarin at the same time!

I appreciate both the written and conversational form of all languages, and I am seeking to become fluent in as many as possible.

I enjoy the vast and thrilling cultural exchange that comes along with learning new languages, and that helps to spark my continued need to find out more! I love that the world is so diverse, yet perfectly different.

I have found also that the most accurate and efficient Spanish to English and English to Spanish translations can be found on a site called spanishdict.com

You should check it out!

Bendiciones