Linguaholic

Favorite Book Quote

chigreyofthenorns

Books are great sources of quotations. I have read many books throughout my life, and there are a lot of quotations that have stayed with me. My most favorite book quote is from The Little Prince: "What is essential is invisible to the eye". What about you? What is your favorite book line?

I have a ton of favourites!:

“The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

“There is some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”

― H.P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories

I better stop now before I remember any more!

This one is from the beginning of Douglas Adams's book called The restaurant at the end of the Universe:

"If human beings don't stop exercising their lips, their brain starts working!"

Douglas Adams has an awesome sense of humour!

My favorite quote would be the one from The Exorcist

“Perhaps evil is the crucible of goodness... and perhaps even Satan - Satan, in spite of himself - somehow serves to work out the will of God.”

― William Peter Blatty, The Exorcist

I love that scene.

I see in the fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables, slaves with white collars, advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of the history man, no purpose or place, we have no Great war, no Great depression, our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives, we've been all raised by television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars, but we won't and we're slowly learning that fact. and we're very very pissed off.”

- Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

That's probably one of the best book and movie quote I've ever heard, read and seen in my entire life.

• 2 months later...

I do not remember where I read the quote but it says, “Do not be afraid to fall as many times as possible as long as you get up every time” This quote opened my eyes to know that we must keep moving forward even when we fail. There is no shame in failing as long as we keep trying.

• 1 month later...

Jaime Lannister in "A Song of Ice and Fire"

"So many vows ... they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws. It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other."

I read this book when I was in college. It's from a book called Das Energi by Paul Williams.

"Don't ever think you know what's right for the other person. He might start thinking he knows what's right for you."

This book has been stuck in my head since the first time I read it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have two favorite quotes! Both of them are from the same book, and so I would like to mention them both at this point. They are the following:

"No Room! No Room!"

"How is a Raven like a writing desk?"

Both quotes are from the Mad Tea Party chapter of Lewis Caroll's Alice in Wonderland.

My favorite quotes can be found in most of H.P. Lovecraft works, but there is one that is definitely my favorite quote:

“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.”

That is my favorite quote, it was taken from The Call of Cthulhu. One of my fav novels... played the game after reading it too :P  Awesome...!

• 5 months later...

I have several:

“If you would take a man’s life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.” - Bran Stark, A Game of Thrones (1996)

“History is a wheel, for the nature of man is fundamentally unchanging.” - The Kraken’s Daughter, A Feast for Crows (2005)

“You could make a poultice out of mud to cool a fever. You could plant seeds in mud and grow a crop to feed your children. Mud would nourish you, where fire would only consume you, but fools and children and young girls would choose fire every time.” - The Discarded Knight, A Dance with Dragons (2011)

“Men live their lives trapped in an eternal present, between the mists of memory and the sea of shadow that is all we know of the days to come.” - Bran Stark, A Dance with Dragons (2011)

I find all of the quotes I listed above incredibly powerful, especially the last one.

You've probably already noticed that all of these quotes come from the A Song of Ice and Fire series, written by the one and only George R. R. Martin. I might be a little biased, but the series is filled with gold. If you haven't read it, you should. It's worth reading even if you've watched the TV series.

"Sweet, pensive and dark and surprised at nothing. And who will at times kiss you on the forehead like  a child" - Simone de Beauvoir , The Second Sex

I love this quote because I think it's beautifully written and structured differently from how we speak now. It also make a great bio for a social media site and it just really resonates with me. That whole book is amazing though, definitely a book that I felt was able to say a lot of the things I've felt growing up and especially about my body and womanhood.

I totally love this quote from J.D. Salinger's "The Catcher in the Rye." It's a mix of humor, sarcasm, and reality. I could definitely relate to it.

“I am always saying "Glad to've met you" to somebody I'm not at all glad I met. If you want to stay alive, you have to say that stuff, though.”

There are too many to mention, actually. But I'll share to you two of my all-time favorites:

There will come a time when all of us are dead. All of us. There will come a time when there are no human beings remaining to remember that anyone ever existed or that our species ever did anything. There will be no one left to remember Aristotle or Cleopatra, let alone you. Everything that we did and built and wrote and thought and discovered will be forgotten and all of this will have been for naught. Maybe that time is coming soon and maybe it is millions of years away, but even if we survive the collapse of our sun, we will not survive forever. There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. God knows that’s what everyone else does.
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

“Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.”
― Haruki Murakami, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

There are a lot of quotes that I love, but most of them come from "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Here are some:

"But I, alas, do not know how to see sheep through the walls of boxes. Perhaps I am a little like the grown-ups."

“Go and look again at the roses. You will understand now that yours is unique in all the world.”

“You are not at all like my rose,” he said. “As yet you are nothing. No one has tamed you, and you have tamed no one. You are like my fox when I first new him. He was only a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But I have made him my friend, and now he is unique in all the world.”

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”

“It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”

Filipino high school students are required to read Jose Rizal's "Noli Me Tangere" and "El Filibusterismo." Here are my two favorite quotes from "Noli Me Tangere."

"Why don't we behave as does that frail stem loaded with buds and blossoms?" observed the philosopher, pointing to a lovely rose bush. "The wind blows, shakes it, and the stem bends as if to hide its precious burden. If the stem were to maintain itself erect, it would break, the wind will scatter the flowers, and the buds will perish. The wind passes away, and the stem straightens itself, proud of its treasure. Who would accuse it of having bent itself in the face of necessity?"
-- Tasio the Philosopher, Noli Me Tanger, Chapter 26

"I die without seeing the dawn break on my country. You who are about to see it, greet her. Do not forget those who have fallen during the night!"
--Elias to Basilio, Noli Me Tangere, Chapter 64

Am I the only one that loves the Game of Thrones series?

This is definitely my favorite quite:

There is only one god, and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today'."
Syrio Forel

LE: sorry for the old bump. Just noticed it was an old thread. 

Edited by 111kg

“Yes, my consuming desire is to mingle with road crews, sailors and soldiers, barroom regulars—to be a part of a scene, anonymous, listening, recording—all this is spoiled by the fact that I am a girl, a female always supposedly in danger of assault and battery. My consuming interest in men and their lives is often misconstrued as a desire to seduce them, or as an invitation to intimacy. Yes, God, I want to talk to everybody as deeply as I can. I want to be able to sleep in an open field, to travel west, to walk freely at night...”

― Sylvia Plath, The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath

My all time favourite quote!